ERBSHORSE62

1985 Wheelhorse 417-8

ERBSHORSE62

I have a 417-8 with  a bad Transmission.  Not sure how bad, but can I replace the whole Transmission with an 8 Speed from any other Wheel Horse Tractors.  Will any other models be a direct fit bolt on.  Thanks for any support. 

Maxwell-8
47 minutes ago, ERBSHORSE62 said:

I have a 417-8 with  a bad Transmission.  Not sure how bad, but can I replace the whole Transmission with an 8 Speed from any other Wheel Horse Tractors.  Will any other models be a direct fit bolt on.  Thanks for any support. 

Any 8speed will be a direct bolt up. What's wrong with your tranny? I fixed 3 of them

ERBSHORSE62

Maxwell,  

Not sure,  I just purchased the Tractor a week ago and the guy said it ran well , but when I got it home and tried to move it the right wheel locks up.. the left one will turn.  I pulled the Dip Stick and no oil shows .  Shame on me for not pulling the Tranny Dip Stick before purchasing.     Still got a good deal even with this problem.  Maybe this will be a good exercise for my Grandson and I to Tear apart sometime.  I have several  8 Speeds on hand from some old Horses that I accumulated over the years.  Thanks again so much for responding.    I have many Grandkids and I am trying to get them  all a Wheel Horse .  

• Excellent 3

oliver2-44

Any 4 or 8 speed transmission will bolt to the frame. However  the clutch and brake are different on some of them. Some Pros will be along to help tell the difference. Post some pictures of both sides of your transmission so they can  verify it’s original .  
If you Jack the rear of the tractor can you turn the right one backwards

Edited by oliver2-44

Maxwell-8
9 hours ago, ERBSHORSE62 said:

Maxwell,  

Not sure,  I just purchased the Tractor a week ago and the guy said it ran well , but when I got it home and tried to move it the right wheel locks up.. the left one will turn.  I pulled the Dip Stick and no oil shows .  Shame on me for not pulling the Tranny Dip Stick before purchasing.     Still got a good deal even with this problem.  Maybe this will be a good exercise for my Grandson and I to Tear apart sometime.  I have several  8 Speeds on hand from some old Horses that I accumulated over the years.  Thanks again so much for responding.    I have many Grandkids and I am trying to get them  all a Wheel Horse .  

Sounds like a locked up bearing! 

Have some experience with busted bearings! All bought that way. 

Wheel Horse trannys are pretty scarce here, so we have to fix them up.

oliver2-44

I believe this is your transmission if it has 1-1/8" dia axles. If you have 1" axles it is the one below.

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Here is the Service Manual.

• Like 1