Gregor

Did ya know?

Gregor

I didn't, until this morning. I have been cleaning and repairing parts for my build. I had a little welding to do. I have a small cheap HF wire feed welder. It is 220V and can be set up for either flux core or solid wire  using gas. I had always used flux core wire, but a while back I bought a small bottle of gas and started  going that route. I left the flux core wire in it. I then read a thread that said, solid core wire would burn cleaner, without so much splatter. I also read that many seemed to have better luck with .023" wire than .035". Armed with that info I bought a roll of solid core, .023" wire. I had a little welding to do to close up a hole, so I decided to swap over to the new wire. I have also read in many welding threads about guys having trouble getting their wire to feed properly. I have never had that problem, until now. The wire didn't want to feed well at all. Long story short, after looking at things a while, I noticed the wire feed wheel had 2 groves in it. Hmmm :confusion-confused: Could it be? Yes it could. The wheel is reversible. Use one side for .030" -  035" wire, the other side for .023" wire. I'm sure most of you already knew this. I didn't. If I didn't, it's just possible, someone else doesn't either.

1397313818_20211109_062129(2).jpg.48992721e637682f7d79957b5bc37438.jpg600902604_20211109_062054(2).thumb.jpg.bfb60e9ab2c883e39e9ffefb7ff062b6.jpg908672046_20211109_062116(2).jpg.156af8065feb8e20d73c8214908c580e.jpg

• Like 7

953 nut

You should also change the tip for .023 wire. Miller MIG Contact Tip (.023" or .6mm), part no. T-M023 (10 per pack)

• Like 8

Gregor

Hmmm........  Didn't know that either. Sometimes it amazes me just how much I don't know!:confusion-confused:

And to think I use to weld for a living, but that was right out of high school. That's a few years ago.

Edited by Gregor
  • Haha 2

Achto

Some good discoveries you have found.

Solid wire with gas is my go to. Flux core works but I don't like all the spatter. Flux core spatter can be reduced by reversing the polarity of the welder, but there is still spatter. 

For light metal I prefer 023 wire, if you are welding 1/4" thick + metal then the extra filler from the 030 wire is nice. 

• Like 4

oldlineman

yep :text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

roadapples

Yup, I'm no welder, never had any lessons. But a welder friend told me to use gas and 023 wire. BIG difference. I have a Hobart 140...

• Like 1

oldlineman

that's what I have a Hobart 140 with gas, great machine. I use .030 Bob

• Like 1

JoeM

.030 with gas and I very the feed and heat to match the metal thickness. 

• Like 2

kpinnc

I also have the Hobart 140. Great little machine, and I'm still running .030 flux core.

One day I'll take the plunge and buy a bottle of shielding gas, but so far I am happy with it. There is a little spatter and slag, but I grew up on a stick welder so this is so much better that I'm still in the honeymoon phase as is. 

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

A little thing about the Hobart 140…

I WANT ONE !

squonk
On 11/9/2021 at 8:00 AM, Gregor said:

Hmmm........  Didn't know that either. Sometimes it amazes me just how much I don't know!:confusion-confused:

And to think I use to weld for a living, but that was right out of high school. That's a few years ago.

Yup! We welded with Kerosene lamps and candles. If we wanted to arc weld we flew a kite with a key on the tail. Thomas Edison was in diapers! :lol:

• Haha 3

Gregor
21 minutes ago, squonk said:

Yup! We welded with Kerosene lamps and candles. If we wanted to arc weld we flew a kite with a key on the tail. Thomas Edison was in diapers! :lol:

:rolleyes:  Are you sure they had string back then?

Edited by Gregor
  • Haha 2

squonk
42 minutes ago, Gregor said:

:rolleyes:  Are you sure they had string back then?

Twine. :)

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

The smooth groove is for solid wire and the one with notches in for flux core. The flux core you just want light pressure so as not to crush the wire. The make a different wire to also use gas, its called dual shield and works great for repairing equipment since it has great penetration. Lots of youtube videos watch on it. 

Randy