71_Bronco

Old Saws, Did I Score?

71_Bronco

Picked these up at the local redemption center (town dump). There is an area where people can put stuff that is not trash, but they don't want anymore.

I've picked up some decent stuff there before, so I always take a quick look.

Snagged these this past weekend. I dont need any saws, but figured they looked cool, and they were free lol. My wife rolled her eyes when I told her I got them lol.

Not sure if I scored or if I just got some worthless old saws lol.

Some of them seem to have some kind of fancy designs on them, and some are plain.

20211101_184216.jpg

20211101_184234.jpg

20211101_184313.jpg

20211101_184319.jpg

20211101_184327.jpg

20211101_184346.jpg

• Like 3

EB-80/8inPA

There’s a site somewhere that covers old Disston saws and their relative rareness/value.  Those are pretty rough, but If the blades are flat they can prolly be cleaned up, sharpened and made serviceable (If you have the time/inclination). Now, you might need that special vise…

I would guess they’re worth $5 each at the flea as is even if they’re nothing special.  Or you can spend hours painting some hokey bumpkin scene on them and double the price! 🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

ri702bill

Nick:

Disston is a good name in the business-save them all if you can.

Bill

71_Bronco

The blades are pretty rough, but the steel is pretty solid under the rust. Ill probably clean them up as best I can and see how they look.

Any advice on how to clean the old paint off? Just use thinner? Or will that hurt the wood handles?

Thanks!

DennisThornton

I buy any old Disston that I find if it's price by how it looks. 😉

Good investment or not.  I just like them.  But I buy cheap! 

Racinbob

Disstonian Institute.com -- Online Reference of Disston Saws

Disston saws have quite a history. You can date them by their handle shape and more specifically the medallion. I've got one that was my grandfathers that's been packed away since we moved back up here from Florida. I dated it by the medallion and If I remember correctly it was pre WW2. I'm going to unpack it today. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@71-bronco, if nothing else, good opportunity for an aerosol lubricant spray down , recovers metal and saves patina, pete    

953 nut
15 hours ago, 71_Bronco said:

I dont need any saws, but figured they looked cool, and they were free lol. My wife rolled her eyes when I told her I got them

Since you don't NEED any saws they probably will make great wall hangers. A plasma cutter and a bit of skill can do wonders!

Old saws new life! Whimsical West.com | Plasma cutter art, Rustic metal  wall art, Metal art projects

If your wife if rolling her eyes over three imagine how she would react to this!                 :ROTF:

Artist uses old saws to create 'cutting edge' art - Daniel Swanick

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

formariz

Hand saws are used here just about every day. Your saws are a good find. They are not any of the "collectible" ones if that is your question. They will however have good steel and can be made to work like the best ones out there. To clean them use an electrolysis tank and oil them right after. Remove handles prior to that. You then need to get them sharpened. That may be the hard part for you. See if there is anyone in your area that will do it. Not many places or people out there that can do it. It is a skill that was not common even amongst woodworkers. It takes a deep understanding of  cutting action mechanics,  tooth geometry, and the correct file for it. Depending on the teeth per inch, different files may be required for each saw. You can learn how to do it. If interested in it, I can help you with that. It does however take besides the knowledge needed, great patience and eyesight. The feeling one gets while using a finely tuned handsaw is one of the most satisfying in woodworking.

Edited by formariz
  • Like 3

squonk

I had 3 saws that came from my Grandfather. I didn't need them and didn't have a good place for them. I ended up bringing them to my son's house. Put them in a cabinet. If nothing else, I'll have a saw there if I go there and all of a sudden I need to replace a porch step or something.

• Like 2

WHNJ701

This the disston saw that my grandfather used to cut every 2x4, rafter, joist etc..when he built his post WW2 home.  No electricity,  house was all built by hand tools.  His hammer and saw still hang in the basement as reminder and we are in the house now.  I guess we are spoiled now with nail guns and cordless tools

PXL_20211102_165510658.jpg

PXL_20211102_165517761.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Handy Don
Just now, jabelman said:

This the disston saw that my grandfather used to cut every 2x4, rafter, joist etc..when he built his post WW2 home.  No electricity,  house was all built by hand tools.  His hammer and saw still hang in the basement as reminder and we are in the house now.  I guess we are spoiled now with nail guns and cordless tools

No doubt your grandfather would have used whatever suitable tools were available if he were building now--cordless and nail guns included!

Racinbob

Here are the two we have. The top one is either my wifes dads or grandfathers. She's not sure. The larger one is my grandfathers. I am the youngest in our family and was born at a later age for my parents. My dad said that my grandfather did meet me as an infant but passed soon after. The only grandparent I remember in my grandmother on my moms side and she passed when I was 7 or 8. 

On the backside are the saw are his initials Benjamin Franklin Parks. My dad said the backwards and upside down F was something he always did. At one time I made a comment to my dad that it would be cool to do a painting on it. He said quite emphatically NO!. It would no longer be a tool if that was done. :)

1148067283_Disstona.jpg.d3f944a236847c82eddf2869fe8f98e4.jpg

669467919_Disstonc.jpg.262616d6f6ab6dbd20541020e86d78b3.jpg

1936627003_Disstonb.jpg.744ab20c2d9005ccb95ce251ddc78fa4.jpg

Untitled Document (vintagesaws.com)

Hopefully that link works. I found it interesting

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1
  • Heart 2

DennisThornton

@Racinbob

I sort of collect old tools and end up on the Web a lot but I don't think I've seen this.  Lots of good info!  Thanks for the link!

http://www.vintagesaws.com/library/ftj/medallion/medallionstudy.html#:~:text=Henry Disston and Sons%2C circa 1873 This medallion,disappearance of all but one of the "dots".

AND!  There's LOTS more:

http://www.vintagesaws.com/library/library.html

• Like 1

rjg854

My dad taught me how to sharpen handsaws. How each tooth had to be sharpen and the angles involved. Even how to put set in the teeth. It is an art in itself. I still have all the tools and the vise he made to hold the saw. Course I haven't done it in years because of power tools. I must still have half a dozen handsaws packed away of all different points per inch.

• Like 2

formariz

I am happy to say that here it is not how it was but how it still is. Handsaws here gather no rust. They are used all the time and sharpened and tuned frequently. I have quite a few sharpened differently for use in different woods. A properly tuned hand saw is a very satisfying tool to use. Wether ripping or cross cutting in most instances they are the go to tool. Now that I don’t have to do my craft for a living they are used almost exclusively for those tasks. 

57738EF0-F831-4CB7-858D-BB241FD4FC54.jpeg.561737e35ceb7fe2d363235a26c00d38.jpeg

56119E63-3B01-4721-8AE2-F754494F7B5A.jpeg.6abd9e099948abcb5ddae4708089f168.jpeg

ADF62BFD-119B-4C4F-80C5-653DB83A497F.jpeg.ee637f246c6b242ec6031e293e6d4729.jpeg

12004D00-B9F2-4F0E-AB3A-A1F4BC0A7AE9.jpeg.04a094d989044c45069171fb14fce439.jpeg

C929F3F5-1413-4638-A941-04FC47CDACB3.jpeg.bf04789093f94e3fe66780ab4232f130.jpeg

Edited by formariz
  • Excellent 2

Handy Don
2 hours ago, formariz said:

56119E63-3B01-4721-8AE2-F754494F7B5A.jpeg.6abd9e099948abcb5ddae4708089f168.jpeg  ADF62BFD-119B-4C4F-80C5-653DB83A497F.jpeg.ee637f246c6b242ec6031e293e6d4729.jpeg

Well it sure surprised me to see that we have at least two tools in common! I have a brace that looks just like that one and also the red-handled hack saw with the blade storage in the top tube. I recently had to own up and give my brother the chair rung making bit that my Dad had left him. Brother left it in my hands a few years ago for some reason and after I got it properly adjusted and learned how to use it reminding him that I still had it was a bit sad for me. I was able to give him a short tutorial and I know he'll put it to good use, though.

My son put me onto pull saws a couple years ago and I have two now. I really like the control, precision, narrow kerf, and especially the ease of starting a cut. They've won me over.

DennisThornton
12 hours ago, formariz said:

I have no memory of ever seeing one.  And I have a couple of the shorter ones.

And while I have a chainsaw file guide with similar function to the guide on your bench, I can't remember ever seeing one for a handsaw.

Edited by DennisThornton

formariz
2 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

I have no memory of ever seeing one

The file guide is not common but it does show up on occasion. The vise however is a once in a lifetime opportunity. This one is only the second one I ever came across and the only one that was for sale.

13 hours ago, Handy Don said:

red-handled hack saw with the blade storage in the top tube.

It is a Craftsman. Bought it in my 20s and it was the one in my journeyman's tool box until it was retired.

13 hours ago, Handy Don said:

chair rung making bit

Are you referring to a "tenon cutter" like the one below?

1D39121B-324F-4AD2-88EA-54662A29CE64.jpeg.279cb38a3e7c8b4c662d9f8bf8c3c3f6.jpeg

Edited by formariz

Handy Don
1 minute ago, formariz said:

Are you referring to a "tenon cutter" lie the one below?

Yes. Never knew it's proper name as the only use I gave it was making replacement chair rungs!

The one my Dad had was adjustable and covered a range of dowel sizes, very similar to this one:

image.png.be74fac2dff1b08f331116c2792bed7b.png   image.png.217bc3d23032f485d7192325e39d4d06.png

I never saw my Dad use it and initially didn't even know it's purpose (it was in a bunch of bits for the braces). Later I guessed what it did but didn't know anyone I could ask about them so it took experimentation to get the most out of it.

It was kinda cantankerous to set the depth of the cut and the angle and if the blade wasn't razor sharp it'd just tear the wood. Took me several tries initially before I learned that its job was to slice the wood (to preserve the outer diameter of the dowel going into the guide hole!) and not actually remove it.

formariz
26 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Yes. Never knew it's proper name as the only use I gave it was making replacement chair rungs!

The one my Dad had was adjustable and covered a range of dowel sizes, very similar to this one:

image.png.be74fac2dff1b08f331116c2792bed7b.png   image.png.217bc3d23032f485d7192325e39d4d06.png

I never saw my Dad use it and initially didn't even know it's purpose (it was in a bunch of bits for the braces). Later I guessed what it did but didn't know anyone I could ask about them so it took experimentation to get the most out of it.

It was kinda cantankerous to set the depth of the cut and the angle and if the blade wasn't razor sharp it'd just tear the wood. Took me several tries initially before I learned that its job was to slice the wood (to preserve the outer diameter of the dowel going into the guide hole!) and not actually remove it.

They can be difficult to use, particularly that type since it is harder to balance due to its size. And yes they have to be razor sharp since they are actually cutting end grain. Mine is a little easier since it will only cut 3/4" tenons and smaller. To start it easier I use it in conjunction with a dowel "pointer" which creates a bevel first  making the initial cutting easier to get started. Also I use it horizontally rather than vertical while cutting . I place wood to be tenoned horizontal on a vise so I can rest the head of brace against my midsection, this way creating greater even pressure without moving from side to side as I crank the brace.

When using them one has to choose wood components carefully. Tenon wood should be relatively dried, whereas the mortise part like in a chair seat should be rather "green" so as to shrink tightly around tenon as it dries creating a really tight joint. That type of joinery was created when there was no glue available or desired. Also glue is rather ineffective in that type of joint since there is very little long grain to long grain contact between parts.

9DD3A3BE-9709-49B3-9318-A358A6D81444.jpeg.5c21fad18d11658d2c4b11c3db25686c.jpeg

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, formariz said:

Also glue is rather ineffective in that type of joint since there is very little long grain to long grain contact between parts

Yeah. I have a set of six kitchen chairs and one in usually in the shop for reassembling loose legs!

I recently completed a rocker for my new-mom daughter that she got from my dad in pieces (he was a rocker fan in his later years but never got to this one). Since there was little historical value, and a strong interest in having the dried out wood hold up to regular use, I took a flier and assembled it with epoxy (heresy, perhaps) after adding a bit more relief to the joints. It meant a much more comprehensive jig for clamping (over 25 clamps used -- had to borrow some!) especially since rocking chairs have to be perfectly aligned in all directions. After a year of regular use, though, it seems to be working well. Fingers crossed.

You are far more advanced at this than I am, but I did learn the value of horizontal use the hard way! For this bit, I found it easiest to rasp a small flat on one side of the end of the dowel to just get it past the blade while leaving enough purchase in the guide hole to keep it in line the rest of the way around. Then I cut that end off once finished.

Edited by Handy Don

ohiofarmer

The blade steel makes really great cutters. I found one at the homestead made from some incredibly light wood with two nails driven through the blade used as a tobbacco cutter. So light and easy to use. sharpen them with a small wheel and polish the edge with a grit fiber disc to a mirror edge and they are awesome on weeds. Not every weed around an old building belongs to a weed eater. There can be some wire surprises around junk piles. So these hand cutters are safe and effective on occasion

formariz
5 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

The blade steel makes really great cutters. I found one at the homestead made from some incredibly light wood with two nails driven through the blade used as a tobbacco cutter. So light and easy to use. sharpen them with a small wheel and polish the edge with a grit fiber disc to a mirror edge and they are awesome on weeds. Not every weed around an old building belongs to a weed eater. There can be some wire surprises around junk piles. So these hand cutters are safe and effective on occasion

Yes handsaws were made of great steel . When used to the point that they were so narrow and therefore not rigid enough to use metal would be cut and converted into scrapers or cutters for scratch beaders. The ones below are all made from old handsaws. Some have the manufacturer’s 

logo.

94C84743-424C-497A-937E-B88D8C2626B4.jpeg.4e0c5ac392c5a315c0447cd24ff3578c.jpeg

Edited by formariz
  • Excellent 2