DennisThornton

Gravely 814. Rescued

DennisThornton
4 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

@DennisThornton is the F-N-R Shuttle Shift in a separate case or in the 8 speed transmission case?  

Built in.  I uploaded more pics. 

DennisThornton
13 hours ago, squonk said:

Neighbor had one of those with a blade. I had to work on it all the time. I hated it. Felt like I was sitting in a bathtub driving it. They don't tow very good. Front end is light and you end up doing wheelies. Neighbor was trying to drag a crate of junk to the road with his. Almost got hurt. I dragged the gravely and the crate to the road with my Power King in 1st gear at idle. He's got a C-160 now and much happier. 

I've wondered about it having a light front.  Cast iron grille surround but that only helps a little.  Probably needs a massive entire cast iron front.  But, that's fixable.  Several examples online.  And I'm sure our Power Kings will outperform it and all my other GTs too!  But right now I'm really curious to see what this Gravely is made of. 

slim67
1 hour ago, DennisThornton said:

I've wondered about it having a light front.  Cast iron grille surround but that only helps a little.  Probably needs a massive entire cast iron front.  But, that's fixable.  Several examples online.  And I'm sure our Power Kings will outperform it and all my other GTs too!  But right now I'm really curious to see what this Gravely is made of. 

Now you just need a Cub and that will even outperform your power king ! 😀😋

DennisThornton
23 minutes ago, slim67 said:

Now you just need a Cub and that will even outperform your power king ! 😀😋

Perhaps some will but my 147 Cub won't.  

Which Cub you referring to?

slim67
9 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Perhaps some will but my 147 Cub won't.  

Which Cub you referring to?

Farmall Cub sorry.

A5342D85-6AD2-4094-BF5F-81207768900E.jpeg

DennisThornton
41 minutes ago, slim67 said:

Farmall Cub sorry.

A5342D85-6AD2-4094-BF5F-81207768900E.jpeg

I figured that's what you meant.  I've never had nor driven one but I keep an eye out for them.  If I find a steal it will come home with me.  I do see them for sale and accessories/attachments but so far no steals 

slim67
20 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I figured that's what you meant.  I've never had nor driven one but I keep an eye out for them.  If I find a steal it will come home with me.  I do see them for sale and accessories/attachments but so far no steals 

Yeah I see them in all conditions and prices. My neighbor has a 1950 he wants to sell but isn’t advertised yet. He’ll mention it to me then I won’t hear from him for a year. 

DennisThornton

Drained the gas tank, blew out the gas line, added a couple gals of non-ethanols, stuck in a car battery, cranked and sprayed ether until she fired up and ran on her own!  No smoke, no missing, ran like she should!  Drove it around and tried all gears!  She works!  I REALLY got a kick out of the shuttle shift!  Each gear with Hi/Lo and also forward and reverse!  Lo/Lo is really slow!

Was told it cleared the drive and I'm guessing there was a lot of back and forth and the linkage shows lots of use.  Quite a bit of slop and will need some attention but other than that it's up and running pretty good!

The blade will need some heat, some plates and a few welding rods!  Hard to believe it was beat up like this with only this Gravely 814!  It would work right now and everything it needs is fixable but there's a few hours work to make it right again.  

• Like 2