John c

PTO Bearing maintenance

John c

For my 314-8 I'm looking for some pointers on PTO bearing service, not having any troubles with it, but it's a 1995 model, and since I'm using it to keep a small patch of grass cut now I thought it'd be a good idea to give the bearings in there a look. 

thanks

• Like 2

squonk

Outer bearing is a $6.00 item at Napa PP204RR6

peter lena

@Johnc which bearing service ? pto , drive cone bearing ? , simple , back off pto belt tension , remove swing arm safety clip . remove belt off pulley , pull off cone and bearing set up . clean out with clean rag ,g , recommend  a hi temp anti sling grease , like lucas xtra heavy duty chassis grease , walmart $ 5 , made for hi temp hi stress areas , its also anti sling , only use a small amount just enough to cover the surface on that needle bearing, over filling will effect clutch grip. , i also   service the  pto  drive pulleys , but thats another story . you could also buy another bearing if you want to available at napa   pp204rr6. thanks squonk pete  

John c

thanks guys,

Pete let's hear the other story about the PTO drive pulleys since we're already here and talking about PTO stuff.

The outer bearing ? Is that a sealed bearing or can I clean it out and repack it

roadapples

:WRS:

John c

thanks, 

I've lurked around here for several years, finally "got around" to signing up the other day

peter lena

@Johnc which bearing service ? pto , drive cone bearing ? , simple , back off pto belt tension , remove swing arm safety clip . remove belt off pulley , pull off cone and bearing set up . clean out with clean rag ,g , recommend  a hi temp anti sling grease , like lucas xtra heavy duty chassis grease , walmart $ 5 , made for hi temp hi stress areas , its also anti sling , only use a small amount just enough to cover the surface on that needle bearing, over filling will effect clutch grip. , i also   service the  pto  drive pulleys , but thats another story . you could also buy another bearing if you want to available at napa   pp204rr6. thanks squonk pete  

peter lena

@Johnc i do not like bearing failure , the basic reason for that is the generic  grease that's first installed. having purchased similar pulleys , https://www.ebay.com/itm/292626569157 , for the lower belt crossover area , notice the wide rubber seals on those bearings ?, easily /carefully removed with pocket screwdriver , carefully wiped out and refilled with lucas xtra heavy duty , hi temp grease . I always look for the wide rubber seals , on bearings , my bearings are quiet and do not fail with that lube. upsetting to many , but to me it makes a problem go away. all my decks and drives have this lube , and no noise or failures , that's only me , pete 

John c

man you love that lucas grease don't you, is that the red or green you're talking about ? I'm using the red lucas and have not had any problems, but I'm really just a casual grass rat gearhead so I'm not must of a torture tester. 

That ebay link looks like the very same pulleys I bought when I overhauled the deck in the spring. 

• Like 1

WHX??

:WRS:

Pete is our official lubrication guru John. 

peter lena

@John c  talking about the green,  i also use the red , always experimenting with something , my experience with the green has been worth the talk , just very good stuff , just passing along. have 3 pto  pulley drives all with upgraded  lubrication , no noise or failures , it just doesn't taste very good , just sayin , pete 

Handy Don
25 minutes ago, peter lena said:

just doesn't taste very good

Lettin' that one slide, 'cause I sure don't want to know more about how you learned that! :lol:

• Thanks 1

lynnmor
45 minutes ago, peter lena said:

it just doesn't taste very good , just sayin , pete 

You should try food grade grease.  I was involved with snack food production machines and know that people have consumed plenty of that stuff.

• Like 2

peter lena

@lynnmor worked at  PFIZER  for 30 years , most of the products that we made had a food grade rating , due to their make up . miller beer , synthetic caffeine, lots of partial product make ups . sorbitol , miles of clear Pyrex glass lines to verify and flow finished products . rail cars full of base line make ups , it was every ware . pete