zeek839

310-8 Engine Swap?

zeek839

Hey all, new to old Wheel Horse machines and this forum.  I just recently acquired a 310-8 with a M10S engine from my brother. It barely starts and smokes heavy when it is running.  It's low on compression and power and uses a lot of oil.  I'm thinking about replacing the engine and have found a decent K241 out of a Cub Cadet. 

My question is could this be a good replacement or could there be to many differences to make it fit?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

• Like 1

8ntruck

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the forum.

Do some research into the engine spec numbers for Wheel Horse and Cub Cadet.  There were differences in the oil pan configurations, which I am not too sure about.  I do know that Wheel Horse engines have thrust bearings because of the PTO clutch.  If the Cub Cadet had an electric PTO clutch, the engine probably won't have a thrust bearing,

I'm sure others will chime in with more info soon.

Good luck, and have fun with your Horse.

• Like 1

roadapples

:WRS:

• Like 1

Achto

• Like 1

Handy Don

Yep, the devil is in the details! You absolutely have to be sure about the build on that engine before trying it in a WH.

There is a document in the Files section that lists the specification numbers for most WH Kohler's. 

• Like 1

zeek839
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

Yep, the devil is in the details! You absolutely have to be sure about the build on that engine before trying it in a WH.

There is a document in the Files section that lists the specification numbers for most WH Kohler's. 

Are you referring to the Manual section?

• Like 1

Handy Don
3 minutes ago, zeek839 said:

Are you referring to the Manual section?

Yes. It appears as "Files" in the search options list and Manuals under the Browse heading. :)

I will add, that if you switch to an electric PTO, instead of the disk PTO, that Cub engine is much more likely to be suitable.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1

kpinnc
5 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

I do know that Wheel Horse engines have thrust bearings because of the PTO clutch.

Not so on the K series or Magnums. That came later on Command engines. Ks and Magnums have dual ball bearing supported cranks without thrust bearings. Manual PTO use on them is fine. One thing to note- look for a 1.125 (typical) PTO shaft. 1 inch can work, but the drive pullies and PTO parts are harder to find for 1 inch.

If the oil pans can be swapped it will work. As has been said just make sure the specs are similar. If the cub has a shallow pan, the crank rod will have the short oil dipper. Not a problem if you keep the oil full, but you don't wanna run one like that if the oil is even a little low.

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1

953 nut
13 hours ago, zeek839 said:

I'm thinking about replacing the engine and have found a decent K241 out of a Cub Cadet.

As far as fitting the CC engine in the space, chances are it will fit but the only way to be sure is to place the two engines side by side. There have been several variations on the K-241 over the years, some have the same oil pan as the Magnum you are replacing and some are a "small block" and the crank shaft sits lower, CC used "small blocks" for several years.

The next question is the electrical system the same? Another consideration is the ignition system on the CC a magneto or battery powered with an ignition coil?

Take some pictures of the CC engine and post them so we can help you decide.

• Like 1

Rob R

You can swap almost any engine into the 310-8 but there are always issues with cabling, muffler etc. so  you have to be prepared. The 310-8 I obtained like 4 yrs ago was blowing smoke rings and chunks out the exhaust. I followed the specs on the Kohler manual and the bore was within the max specs. The piston ring gap was around .045 honed the cylinder wall replaced the piston, standard rings, head and pan gaskets. Been cutting an acre of grass with it ever since not smoke no issues..... Highly recommend you do this if you have the maxi....... 

zeek839
12 hours ago, Rob R said:

You can swap almost any engine into the 310-8 but there are always issues with cabling, muffler etc. so  you have to be prepared. The 310-8 I obtained like 4 yrs ago was blowing smoke rings and chunks out the exhaust. I followed the specs on the Kohler manual and the bore was within the max specs. The piston ring gap was around .045 honed the cylinder wall replaced the piston, standard rings, head and pan gaskets. Been cutting an acre of grass with it ever since not smoke no issues..... Highly recommend you do this if you have the maxi....... 

After researching and reading all of the helpful posts from others I really think I need to pull the original engine apart and see what is going on inside.  This was bought new by my brother and reasonably taken care of so maybe there is not too much wrong.  I'd hate to throw money at something and still have a cobbled up mess.

• Like 1

richmondred01

Rebuild that m10 engine and it will last you another 40 years.

Probably needs to be bored, crank ground and valve seats ground. 

• Like 1

kpinnc
2 hours ago, richmondred01 said:

Rebuild that m10 engine and it will last you another 40 years.

Probably needs to be bored, crank ground and valve seats ground. 

I can't disagree with this. Kohlers are relatively easy to rebuild, and it's rewarding to hear them run afterward! The M10 is a quiet smooth runner with more power than that "10hp" eludes to. On my 310-8, I've run a tiller, a moldboard plow, cultivators, and 42 inch mower decks. Even ran a 48 deck in a pinch. 

And for a flathead, it uses very little fuel. Dependability is excellent, and no coils and points to deal with. Hard to beat!

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1