Inspectorjoe

Part 1: Origin of unusual weights. Part 2: Am I the a**hole?

Inspectorjoe

I bought these monstrous cast iron weights a few weeks ago. They each weigh 89 lbs. I'm really intrigued by them, and am wondering what their origin is. Has anyone seen anything like them before?

Now, part  2. As of yesterday, I hadn't mounted them, and I was a bit apprehensive because I've had cancer surgery that has made me susceptible to getting a hernia. Yesterday evening, I saw A FB posting for a pair of WH cast iron wheel weights for $200 with the stipulation of no holds. I contacted the seller, said I'd take them at that price, and asked if I could pick them up today. He agreed and gave me a time. He didn't give me an address. I decided to sell the 89 pound weights, and took some pictures for the listing. I thought a potential buyer might also be wary of being able to mount them, so I decided to take a picture of the method I was planning on using (putting them on a floor jack with a piece of flat stock used as a bridge and sliding them into place). To my surprise, that worked out great, and I mounted one with little effort. I decided to keep the weights I had and not buy the WH weights. As much as I've always wanted a set, I really didn't need them and I'd be saving a 100+ mile round trip. 

About 4 hours before the pickup time, I messaged the seller, explained the situation and apologized profusely for backing out at the last minute. At this point, he still hadn't given me an address. The guy was pissed, and messaged me twice, complaining that he dug the tractor out of his shed to remove the weights and take them with him. Of course, I had no way to know this. On Reddit there is a subreddit called 'am I the a**hole'. So I'm bringing that idea here. Am I, is the seller, or are neither of us? I'd like to think if I was selling something and the buyer decided to back out with similar circumstances, I'd be disappointed but somewhat understanding.

IMG_0195.JPG

20211023_132356.jpg

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0199.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

No holds and no address from him. Could have been gone when you got there…

Advance notice from you. 

No problem.

:twocents-twocents:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

edgro

I would think that if you are going to list something for sale you would already have it readily available, and not have to "dig it out of the shed". Also, what if you had made the meetup, and then found the item had unseen damage, and decided not to buy them?  What if you had requested more photos? I think you handled the situation quite well

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

squonk

Takes all kinds. :rolleyes: I sold a Brinly hitch adapter  a couple of weeks ago. Paint was chipped on it and it had some rust. Pictures showed it. Guy contacted me that he wanted it but was worried about it breaking through the box during shipping and if the paint was original. I had no idea about the paint as I got it used. I packed it with extra padding. Well he gets it and there was a tiny hole where it punched through the box. He all pissed about that and the fact the paint isn't original. The freakin part is old and made of iron! Dealing with the public is something else. :(

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

953 nut
7 hours ago, Inspectorjoe said:

method I was planning on using (putting them on a floor jack with a piece of flat stock used as a bridge and sliding them into place). To my surprise, that worked out great, and I mounted one with little effort.

:text-coolphotos:            Congratulations on you ingenuity, use your head and save your back.

I have had people not show up to buy stuff or try to lowball the price once they are there, you extended the court icy of a call back  which many folks wouldn't do.          :handgestures-thumbupleft:

• Like 6

squonk

I installed some 40 lb. slabs onto my 857 with a long 1/2 threaded rod. Inserted the rod through the weight and into the hole in the wheel. Then used the rod as a lever to lift the weight and slid it into position.

IMG_20211006_133434128.jpg.101c8dcb4db82d2dc236edaaad136f90.jpg

• Like 3

Inspectorjoe
2 hours ago, squonk said:

I installed some 40 lb. slabs onto my 857 with a long 1/2 threaded rod. Inserted the rod through the weight and into the hole in the wheel. Then used the rod as a lever to lift the weight and slid it into position.

IMG_20211006_133434128.jpg.101c8dcb4db82d2dc236edaaad136f90.jpg

That's a sweet setup! I wish I had a machine with stirrups. I have a C-120 automatic and a no-name 14 Automatic, both with snow blades, but my wife can't get on either of them without help. She's retiring in December, and it would be nice if she could plow while I'm at work.

How's the traction with those tires? I've been looking for a used set with no luck. Miller Tire wants $167 a piece for them (but they're out of stock anyway).

• Like 2

squonk

I'll put chains on when the snow flies

• Like 1

slim67
5 hours ago, squonk said:

Takes all kinds. :rolleyes: I sold a Brinly hitch adapter  a couple of weeks ago. Paint was chipped on it and it had some rust. Pictures showed it. Guy contacted me that he wanted it but was worried about it breaking through the box during shipping and if the paint was original. I had no idea about the paint as I got it used. I packed it with extra padding. Well he gets it and there was a tiny hole where it punched through the box. He all pissed about that and the fact the paint isn't original. The freakin part is old and made of iron! Dealing with the public is something else. :(

Well Squonk if it makes you feel any better, I’m happy as heck on the Wheel Horse sleeve hitch you sold me. It was a very generous deal.

• Like 3

Inspectorjoe

I want to thank everyone for their affirmation. I was hoping I wasn't being 'that guy'. 

We've all dealt with 'that guy'. I kind of dread the upcoming process when I decide to sell something. But I have to say, for all of the bad selling experiences I've had, the good ones greatly outnumber them. My last sale is a good example. I was asking $300 for a Trac Vac. I agreed to sell it to a guy for $250. After we loaded it in his truck, he handed me $300 and insisted that I take it all. He restored my faith in people.

• Like 4

Ifixoldjunk

No holds and no address? Your in the right here. The weights coulda been long gone by the time you got there. 
also, as far as where those weights came from, they were probably homemade. Those old timers were pretty crafty back in the day. I have a homemade set of lead weights on my bolens tractor. I don’t even wanna guess how heavy they are.D1CFAE63-E245-4A5D-BD7B-DECCFD0B2129.jpeg.36a1fce342cc79e92919b8d208094e78.jpeg

• Like 4

wh315-8

As a collector and I also show my collection with history stories,  I always get folks who approach me to sell their tractor or attachments.  Some have even given them to me. Fortunately they have always work out. But sometimes I go to checkout what they have and just not buy because of various reasons, but always I give them advice on prices and ways to sell. 

As far as the stirrups go, most WH tractors with the flat running boards can be removed and the peg that the stirrups go on is there. Stirrups always show up on Ebay and such places  the one unique thing about WH, the frame has been the same from 60s to 2007 and most parts are interchangeable. The hood and hoodstand is what really changed over the years.

Edited by wh315-8
  • Like 3

76c12091520h

This is why I try to do most of my online sales right here......among mostly courteous, like minded individuals.

• Like 4

Inspectorjoe
5 hours ago, wh315-8 said:

As far as the stirrups go, most WH tractors with the flat running boards can be removed and the peg that the stirrups go on is there. Stirrups always show up on Ebay and such places  the one unique thing about WH, the frame has been the same from 60s to 2007 and most parts are interchangeable. The hood and hoodstand is what really changed over the years.

I never thought of that. It didn't dawn on me that the pegs could be used to attach stirrups without modifications. Thanks!

I wish I still had my Lawn Ranger. I could have borrowed the stirrups from from it to try it out.

Edited by Inspectorjoe
  • Like 1

Inspectorjoe
5 hours ago, 76c12091520h said:

This is why I try to do most of my online sales right here......among mostly courteous, like minded individuals.

A few months ago, I bought a 54" snow blade that I saw here in the classified section. It was a great buying experience - the seller was a good guy, I got to see his Wheel Horses, and the best part, it was only 10 minutes away from my house.

• Like 1

Snoopy11
On 10/24/2021 at 8:23 PM, 76c12091520h said:

mostly courteous, like minded individuals

I like that you said "mostly" there...:laughing-rolling:

Don

• Haha 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, Snoopy11 said:

I like that you said "mostly" there...:laughing-rolling:

Don

Me too! :lol:

• Haha 1

71_Bronco

I thought I had seen a similar set on FB not too long ago. Just tried to find them and they are gone. May have been the same ones.

I did come across, what I believe, is the seller you are talking about, and saw his ad.

FWIW, I think you did fine. If he was that interested in selling, he should have have them off and ready to move already. Not "I'll wait until I have someone coming to remove them". But that's just my thoughts.

You gave plenty of heads up.

I recently bought a set of weights off FB. The guy said no holds, but convinced him I was coming in a couple days (had to wait till the weekend). I even offered to send money via Paypal prior to hold them. He kept them for me, and we met up as agreed. He said he had a bunch of people (from prior sales) say they were coming, and no-showed. That's why he states in his ads that he does not hold items, first-come-first-serve.

Hard to tell these days who is a tire kicker and who is a real buyer.

Handy Don
2 minutes ago, 71_Bronco said:

Amen to that.

For me, pay a deposit and I'll hold until the agreed time otherwise FC(with cash)FS.

Exceptions available for Supporter Members, of course.

Edited by Handy Don

Inspectorjoe
10 hours ago, 71_Bronco said:

I thought I had seen a similar set on FB not too long ago. Just tried to find them and they are gone. May have been the same ones.

I did come across, what I believe, is the seller you are talking about, and saw his ad.

FWIW, I think you did fine. If he was that interested in selling, he should have have them off and ready to move already. Not "I'll wait until I have someone coming to remove them". But that's just my thoughts.

You gave plenty of heads up.

I recently bought a set of weights off FB. The guy said no holds, but convinced him I was coming in a couple days (had to wait till the weekend). I even offered to send money via Paypal prior to hold them. He kept them for me, and we met up as agreed. He said he had a bunch of people (from prior sales) say they were coming, and no-showed. That's why he states in his ads that he does not hold items, first-come-first-serve.

Here's the picture from the ad. They've been for sale 4 weeks now, and the ad still says 'no holds'. I think it's very odd that at $200, they haven't sold.

My last four transactions (three buying and one selling) have been wheel weights. All four were good experiences.

244529584_4623045507742143_5407246838149931138_n.jpg

71_Bronco

Yup, that's the one I saw.

I paid $180 for mine, but they came with wheels, tires and mis-matched chains. They were also on FB last summer. I think I messaged him about 30 minutes after it was posted (when I saw the ad), and I happen to be the first. Stopped after work that day and picked them up with a stack of Jackson's.

20200813_172427.jpg.cc7d59c40f5175174381cfcf7fc91aa8.jpg

Inspectorjoe
4 hours ago, 71_Bronco said:

Yup, that's the one I saw.

I paid $180 for mine, but they came with wheels, tires and mis-matched chains. They were also on FB last summer. I think I messaged him about 30 minutes after it was posted (when I saw the ad), and I happen to be the first. Stopped after work that day and picked them up with a stack of Jackson's.

That was a sweet deal!  Around here, I rarely see rear WH weights offered for sale, and when I do, they're typically listed for $250-$300.I don't know what the average selling price is.

71_Bronco

To be honest, he was asking more. I think his post was $225 if I recall right. I simply asked "are you negotiable on price?". He replied with "how about $180?" At that point, I knew it was a sign they had to be in my shed lol. Replied with "sounds good, ill be by after work to get them" lol.

• Like 1