RetroMower

The biggest problem - being an idiot

Snoopy11
On 10/28/2021 at 8:07 AM, echris said:

Has anyone ever done this one?

Working on a wiring issue so you pull the battery to get to the guts underneath.

Some time later, you try to fire it up and it's totally dead. Nothing at all.

A short while after that, you go back to the workbench to grab a tool and notice the battery. Still sitting on the workbench. :laughing-rofl:

Yes sir... Been there done that...

Worked on the John Deere... got through... turned the key... no start. Thought maybe I didn't orient the crank and cam properly... then figured out... oh... eh... forgot to put the starter back on... :?

Don

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

pfrederi

Did an oil change on my Farmall M  (holds 8 qts)  busy pouring in the fresh oil when I started to notice oil on the floor...Drain plug not in...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

echris
4 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Did an oil change on my Farmall M  (holds 8 qts)  busy pouring in the fresh oil when I started to notice oil on the floor...Drain plug not in...

Welp, at least your floor isn't going to rust anytime soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Pullstart

I got a smokin’ deal at the ‘18 Big Show on a 656 that wouldn’t run right.  I paid for it, went and grabbed my gas jug, topped it off, drove it away :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Excellent 2
  • Haha 3

Achto
38 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

I got a smokin’ deal at the ‘18 Big Show on a 656 that wouldn’t run right.  I paid for it, went and grabbed my gas jug, topped it off, drove it away :handgestures-thumbupright:

My favorite!! 

"Bought it as a non-runner. Paid the previous owner, did a little field triage, hooked up an I.V. bottle & drove it on to the trailer.":D

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

WHX??
1 hour ago, Achto said:

My favorite!! 

Gave a tractor to Dan.... was a little 856 heavy... and he had it running in 10... :lol: never did get seat time on it at plowing on it. Gettum next year! 

2 hours ago, Pullstart said:

a 656 that wouldn’t run right.  

Tecky Hosen? .... I woulda left it at the BS ... better yet give it to Squonky! 

OK here's a good one ... someone else's idiot move. Dan and I score a 520 that won't start for a buck. PO knows nothing and don't wanna mess with it.  Push it on the trailer, get it home and the PO has batt cables backwards. Fires right up,  nice running Onan,  and drive it off the trailer! :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Haha 2

Renrag

Could of done like I did, fit a Deere rear to work in my horse that I thought I lost a gear in, to finish swap and find a keyway in rim sheared off. Duh simple fix made into work

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

WheelHorse520H

@RetroMower, as I was reading your first post right around the hood part I said to myself, “hmm sounds like something is grounding out” then I kept reading!

On 10/29/2021 at 3:52 PM, pfrederi said:

we’ve all been there… whether or not we want to admit it is a different story though.

@Pullstart , @Achto, @WHX??, those are the best bargains. I got my 607 “non running” took it home cleaned the spark plug gave it a couple pulls, nothing. Put about a couple ounces of fresh gas in, pulled it once and it fired right up.

• Like 4

Wheelhorse#1

Stupid ? Not at all.You solved the problem.Some would have never figured it out.Add it all up to experience.

• Like 1

kpinnc

Noticed a mark on my shop door, and it reminded be of another ID-10T maneuver I performed flawlessly...

I had my 310-8 in the shop one day, and had cleaned the carb or something. I had just finished reinstalling, and decided a test run of the engine was in order.

Of course the safety switches require the clutch be depressed to start. Since I was standing next to the tractor, I pushed the clutch in with one foot while standing on the other foot. It cranked and ran great.

Then I released the clutch pedal. The tractor reared up and took off on two wheels INSIDE MY 12X16 SHOP! The front tires left marks nearly two feet up the door and wall before I shut it down. The rear tires left more rubber on the floor than a Cuda on a back road. I'm certain my girlish screams were audible miles away. I am pleased to say however that my carpentry skills and choice of 2x6 studs were most definitely proven adequate.

Point being- use the park brake instead of placing the tractor in 3rd gear when parking. Or never crank one unless you are seated on the darn thing. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1