Sign in to follow this  
Snoopy11

Barbed Wire...

Snoopy11

I'll go ahead and let the cat out of the bag...

Present year minus year HellHorse was manufactured = 54

2021-1967 = 54...

Don

Edited by Snoopy11

kpinnc
2 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

haven't ever been 54...:laughing-rolling::happy-partydance::laughing-rolling:

As Yoda once said, "You will be... You WILL be!:lol:

Yoda_SWSB~2.png

Edited by kpinnc
  • Haha 3

Snoopy11

I know this is an old thread... but time for an update.

A couple of months ago, I noticed that my L-157 was leaking a bit of gear oil on the 'passenger' side. I jacked it up at some point, and I noticed that the seal was actually rotating with the axle... there was hardly any housing left to hold in the seal to keep it from moving. It was also very smelly...

Having said that, I had a few options... buying a new case half or even buying smaller width bearings to put in the transmission, so I could fit a new seal in.

The last option is one that I thought about for a good long while before I took action. @ebinmaine @Jeff-C175 @davem1111 you guys may remember that I was recently looking for 1-1/4" ID washers. Well, I found some... but just as I guessed, the washers were not exactly 1-1/4", they turned out to be 1-3/8" ...so I had to buy 1-3/8" steel inserts to weld in inside the washer to make it 1-1/4" ID.

Now, cutting the jibber-jabber... the reason I needed all of that:

100_2325.JPG.56a6726f8c89eae321f535e3de988f57.JPG

100_2328.JPG.9305d7ce6ca1f5a8e8b0f055bf6f90ca.JPG

Basically, I planed the housing so it was flat, used 1/4" width washer, welded the insert inside the washer, ground off the weld to make it flat on the outside, welded the washer with insert to the housing, then... since there was no way to weld it beautifully... I used JB weld on the outside to make it look somewhat decent. That enabled me to run 2 oil seals in the housing, and after a long run... not 1 single drip of gear oil.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, guys... it was a little dark in the shop... (p.s. the paint hadn't dried yet in these photos...)

This thread is bitter sweet to me... as Jay messaged me right after the barbed wire ate my housing and told me that if I needed anything to let him know. We love you Mr. Roadapples...

Don

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1