wh500special

1966 John Deere 110 deck belt

wh500special

I have a pretty nice little 1966 John Deere 110 tractor with the side discharge deck under it.  I tinkered with it today and can’t get it to stop throwing the deck drive belt as soon as it’s engaged.  Otherwise this is a dandy little tractor. 

The belt connects a vertically oriented pulley on the tractor to a horizontally oriented pulley on the deck, so requires a quarter twist.  I don’t see anything under there to act as a guide. 

I’m going to pick up a new belt for this - which I think is Deere PN M45998 - but wondering what tricks I’m missing here. 

Steve 

49507446-8ADD-4593-A22E-C9A0494D8709.jpeg

adsm08

I have the same tractor, in a much more advanced state of disassembly, so I can't tell tell you what the belt is supposed to look like.

I would start by checking all the pullies and spindles for bearing issues. Almost every tractor I have dealt with with that issue, regardless of brand, had a bad bearing somewhere in the drive system.

• Excellent 1

wh500special

I didn’t think of that.  Everything seems to spin ok, but I wouldn’t be surprised if something was amiss. 

steve

T-Mo

Steve,

I sent you the deck manual.  Below is a image of the deck routing.

deck belt routing.JPG

• Like 1

T-Mo

Here are some replacement parts for the round fender 110.

RF110 Parts.pdf

• Like 1

wh500special

Thanks Terry!

This is a nice little tractor.  It's clear the former owner took good care of it! B)

Steve

peter lena

@wh500special agree with ADSM08 ,  on possible bearing bind or related linkage areas , something that I  learned with horses , is that all the pieces must work with out effort , that has made me a lubrication nut. take the time to verify every part of of its intended flow. if its rusty or binding in any way , repair it . pete  

sparkie333

I agree make sure the belt has the correct twist. One other thing I have found (may not apply to this belt) is to make sure the belt is on the correct side of the belt --stays--I'm not sure what the correct word is for them. It kinda looks like a finger that keeps the belt from jumping off so easy. ( Well It works that way for me. Good Luck.

Johndeereelfman

Is your deck leveled? Most owners just adjust the deck wheels for cutting height which in hindsight only raises or lowers the rear of the deck causing the deck to be tilted.

The front deck hanger needs to be adjusted too by adjusting the adjustable yokes either in or out in order to keep the deck level. If the deck isn't adjusted correctly and is out of tilt, this will cause the belt to jump off the deck pulley or cause uneven wear on the belt.

The front deck hanger adjusts the deck front up or down. Under the frame of the tractor there are two hangers that the deck hangs on. One of these two hangers are adjustable and is used for adjusting the deck for side to side leveling. 

Hope this helps in getting your problem solved.

Edited by Johndeereelfman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

Hay, welcome back @Johndeereelfman, haven't seen you around lately. Is your son enjoying the RJ you were building with him? 

Johndeereelfman
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Hay, welcome back @Johndeereelfman, haven't seen you around lately. Is your son enjoying the RJ you were building with him? 

Thank you. No, not yet. The tractor still looks the same as it did as in my last post 3-4 years ago. Life just got in the way and I haven't been able to find the time for any of my collections.  I'm hoping by Spring of next year things will eventually slow down enough for me to not only get back on this RJ, but to start restoring two John Deere round fender 110's. 

• Thanks 1

Johndeereelfman

Have you figured out what the problem is/was yet? Curious to see what it ended up being.

wh500special

Not yet. Haven’t touched the tractor since the initial post!

steve 

• Sad 1