wallfish

Boiling juice outta the battery

wallfish

A Kohler K532 seems to be charging normal with 13.2 v when charging. But noticed the battery acid leaking out of one side of the battery after it was running for a while at the Zagray show. It's a full size spare battery for my van but fit nicely under the seat so just figured it could stay.

Something wrong with the battery maybe?

The only thing different with wiring is the ground wire for the engine is bolted to the regulator mounting bolt. :dunno:

There's no history since this is a new set up so have no past knowledge on it.

Handy Don

Hi there :). It was nice of that engine to give me a ride around Zagray!

My first thought would be regulator but if the battery is getting only 13.2 that's not likely it.

Next is your idea of a battery problem. Crack in the case? Since this isn't a sealed battery, I'd be thinking to test the cells. Maybe not enough (or too much) water in there or bad chemistry.

wallfish

It was coming out of the cap on the positive side and no visible cracks. Never had the caps off to over fill it so I'm guessing something is wrong internally with the cells. But I will pull them off to check the level. I don't have anything to test the cells so maybe just get a new battery.

That thing makes a real nice show cruiser huh Don?  The plan is to bring it to Stevebo's on the 23 rd.

• Like 1

lynnmor

You might want to fully charge the battery and then take it to AutoZone or Advance Autoparts for a free test..  My guess is that the battery is toast.  13.2 volts is rather low, a partially discharged battery will never reach a full charge.  Check that voltage again with a known good battery, let the engine run for a few minutes when taking the reading.

squonk

Those caps have tiny vents. Probably from acid sloshing around inside and spilling out. Battery may have been over full on a cell or 2. DON"T DRINK IT! :)

bat.jpg.96297d5b631c58b4883bbfb6af28286b.jpg

Edited by squonk
  • Like 3

Handy Don
2 hours ago, wallfish said:

It was coming out of the cap on the positive side and no visible cracks. Never had the caps off to over fill it so I'm guessing something is wrong internally with the cells. But I will pull them off to check the level. I don't have anything to test the cells so maybe just get a new battery.

That thing makes a real nice show cruiser huh Don?  The plan is to bring it to Stevebo's on the 23 rd.

On the calendar to keep clear and I'm looking forward to being there.

That cruiser is extremely cool as it makes conversation easy!

ebinmaine

@wallfish

You got a trailer-for-two for that thing?

Me n BBT should be there but no tractors...

953 nut
4 hours ago, wallfish said:

13.2 v when charging.

John, have you confirmed this with a multimeter?

Edited by 953 nut