Horse Newbie

1984 Work Horse GT-1600 REFRESH

Bill D
33 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

@Bill D,

Got the rubber hood straps in for the Work Horse…

Thank you for helping me find them…

ACTUS MFG…

very nice gentleman on the phone… he said they sell at least a couple sets a month to people restoring tractors…

I will be installing these later this afternoon, but for now it’s back to the 48 inch SD deck underside POR-15 treatment.

1D78C233-42D2-481D-AF90-F9A9419552AF.jpeg

Those look great.  Glad I could help.  

After you finish coating the underside of your deck with POR 15 and it dries, spray it with 3 coats of bed liner in a can.  I used the Rust-Oleum product from Home Depot on my Bobcat deck and it worked great.  Helps provide additional protection against chips in the paint.

Edited by Bill D
  • Like 3

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, Bill D said:

POR 15 and it dries, spray it with 3 coats of bed liner in a can

That's actually not a bad idea at all!  I'm gonna give that a shot next time around myself.

Only downside to that MIGHT be... since the bedliner is not a smooth slick surface, it might have a tendency to hold onto the grass clippings.

With the smooth surface of the POR they don't seem to stick much, if at all, and those that do let go pretty easily.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

Horse Newbie
3 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

That's actually not a bad idea at all!  I'm gonna give that a shot next time around myself.

Only downside to that MIGHT be... since the bedliner is not a smooth slick surface, it might have a tendency to hold onto the grass clippings.

With the smooth surface of the POR they don't seem to stick much, if at all, and those that do let go pretty easily.

Okay, so what’s the verdict @Jeff-C175 ?…

you gonna use Bedliner or not ?…

I have to know so I can copy cat. :lol:

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 1

Horse Newbie

While the 1st coat of POR-15 was drying on the deck for the 520H I went ahead and installed the new rubber hood latches on the 1984 Work Horse GT-1600…

Man those are some tiny e clips on those hinges… popped the first one off and the clip and the tiny washer fell down in the engine. I found  the clip, not the washer…

87DE711D-5759-4817-A0C8-39F64386E7AD.jpeg

4D2B15C5-BC66-4153-BFB3-94398949968C.jpeg

F3CF2803-6F55-4C35-83C2-79B6BE5F4415.jpeg

BFB54287-6B13-4E4A-A8C0-D7B623153C27.jpeg

C1455317-1669-4461-90DF-1AAC1BA2F63D.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Horse Newbie said:

what’s the verdict

Still deliberating!  Not planning on getting to that deck until later in the summer so the jury may be out for a while.  Don't hold your breath!!!

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Horse Newbie said:

tiny washer fell down in the engine. I found  the clip, not the washer…

I was installng some fuel injection stuff yesterday that uses banjo bolts.  Wouldn't ya know I dropped one?  I heard it NOT hit the garage floor... Looked down, no see'um.

I ended up taking off the lower grill so I could reach inside the cross member to fish around.  Thank goodness for magnetic tools!  

Moral of the story...  when working with hardware that clumsy hands might drop inside something, put a couple shop rags underneath where yer workin'.

And... there's a reason they call them "Jesus Clips" !!!

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 3

Horse Newbie

@Jeff-C175… funny you should say… after the first one, I did put a towel under the work area before I attempted the second latch. Sure enough the washer and clip fell again… towel caught them… no searching …

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

there's a reason they call them "@()$&# Clips" !!!

I LOTS of names for those.  

• Haha 2

Pullstart
On 4/13/2022 at 10:44 PM, Horse Newbie said:

@Handy Don and @SylvanLakeWH

I did upload a video to YouTube. My YouTube channel is Tim’s DIY Club, or I will try to attach a link here.

I am using an iPhone and I am catching a fit trying to figure out how to upload videos to YouTube.

https://youtu.be/XzzOlpVop3Y

https://youtu.be/YSpj1FiU88Q

ARE YOU ON THE CHIP?  Not sure why I was yelling that, but I’ll just keep it there :ROTF:

It could be the engine needs a load to sound righteous.  Try pulling something hebby hebby and see how it tunes up for ya.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Also Tim, this resto is spot on and looks amazing!  Looking forward to seeing it at the Big Show!

• Thanks 1

WHX??
On 4/10/2022 at 11:34 AM, Horse Newbie said:

Can I at least enjoy her for a little while clean ? :lol:

NO ... 

Little bit after Dan finished his immaculate Raider 12 & Brinly resto.....:lol:

20181020_110251.jpg.30c8e3b9dce0880f07557ad26bf40041.jpg

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 3

Horse Newbie
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

ARE YOU ON THE CHIP?  Not sure why I was yelling that, but I’ll just keep it there :ROTF:

It could be the engine needs a load to sound righteous.  Try pulling something hebby hebby and see how it tunes up for ya.

I did go up a hill and it put a small load on it… first time governor had kicked in… seemed to momentarily take that flutter/ sound I’ve been hearing away…

• Like 3

Horse Newbie
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

What do you mean “On the chip ?”

• Like 1

Pullstart
57 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

What do you mean “On the chip ?”

Well that’s a circle track / racing term, like rev limiter.  But I meant governor… it just sounds cooler :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

WHX??
2 hours ago, Pullstart said:

I meant governor… it just sounds cooler

Just ain't right.... 

2 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Well that’s a circle track / racing term

So there ya go Newbie... next time you get her in a lawn mower race you can getter on "the chip" 

Ahh second thought lets keep computer chips off our mowers shall we. The last bastion we have of keeping them off our vintage GTs  & free of them.... :lol:

download.jpg

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 3

Pullstart
3 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Just ain't right.... 

never claimed to be :greetings-waveyellow:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

kpinnc
11 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

LOTS of names for those

Same here, though not safe for this forum... ^_^

• Haha 2

Horse Newbie

The shifter knob and the parking brake lever rubber end came in from Lowell… the HI-LO shifter knob is on back order…

so I put them on the 1984 Work Horse.

All I need is the HI-LO shifter knob and the Work Horse will be done…

5DA3E15F-7B97-47D0-BD9F-CCCF50FC9176.jpeg

E3225B7D-A24C-4279-B30C-9990D5362AEF.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4

Moparfanforever

Those shifter knobs look really good with just some shiny black spray paint. 

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
58 minutes ago, Moparfanforever said:

Those shifter knobs look really good with just some shiny black spray paint. 

Yeah, I know…

I had painted the 2 small ones I had for the HI-LO shifter, but I knew the regular shifter knob should be larger.

So I ordered a big knob for the regular shifter, and then thought may as well get a new small HI-LO shifter knob too.

• Like 1

davem1111
On 3/31/2022 at 8:30 PM, Horse Newbie said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=74de1d643bd8402fShe’s kind-of-a fat bottom girl…

55798CDB-37C8-4497-B5B0-8CA3985AA0B4.jpeg

This looks awesome!   I've been paging through this thread and haven't looked at it all yet.  I have a GT-1848 that needs a bunch of work and is currently all red, and I've been trying to decide if I want to re-paint it to the original gray or close to it.  Seeing this, I think I'm convinced.  Black and gray, new decals.

I have a pair of Carlisle 12.50 ags on mine so it looks a lot like this already, except for the "bad" paint job on mine.   My target when finished is nowhere as nice as this, but hopefully much better than it is now. 

I'm working on converting to a stack so I can repair the "cutout" in the hood and repaint it.

[edit to add:].  Forgot to mention that this tractor had be re-powered with a Honda GX610 twin by a PO. Kinda obvious to most though...

image.png.461a95bf083e14435325de4e081cce6e.png
Edited by davem1111
forgot to mention re-power
  • Like 2

Handy Don
10 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

repair the "cutout" in the hood and repaint it.

IMHO it's lIkely cheaper, faster, and easier to start with an intact hood. Pretty easy to come by in my neck of the woods.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

davem1111
10 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

IMHO it's lIkely cheaper, faster, and easier to start with an intact hood. Pretty easy to come by in my neck of the woods.

Good point, especially since my welding and body work skills are not so great.  It's a bit bent up in the front between the headlights, and the one remaining bezel is cracked.  I may end up parting out that 416-H that's in the background, so maybe I just use that hood... :eusa-think:

• Like 3

Bill D
2 hours ago, davem1111 said:

Good point, especially since my welding and body work skills are not so great.  It's a bit bent up in the front between the headlights, and the one remaining bezel is cracked.  I may end up parting out that 416-H that's in the background, so maybe I just use that hood... :eusa-think:

What's wrong with the 416H?  That's a great tractor.  It'd be a shame to part it out if you don't have to.

• Like 1

davem1111
39 minutes ago, Bill D said:

What's wrong with the 416H?  That's a great tractor.  It'd be a shame to part it out if you don't have to.

Glad you asked - I think it's an interesting story.

I bought that tractor mainly for the deck. It had a decent 48" SD, and after pricing out spindles, etc. for another 48" SD I had that needed a lot of work, I was a bit shocked at the prices. So when I saw this 416-H for around $400, I grabbed it.  I haven't done much with the tractor since then, since it's only 1 of 5 in the herd right now.

That said, here's what I know so far:   At least 3 of the 4 tires won't hold air for very long, and one of the rears will go flat in minutes. The hydro linkage needs adjustments, at least, and may need some parts replaced. (This has the forward/reverse handle on the steering column, which I'm not a fan of either).  The engine is hard to get started, usually needs some ether.  Runs "okay" after that, but I haven't run it much. Probably needs the carb torn down and cleaned/rebuilt.  Needs a new battery and I haven't looked at the wiring much yet, but what I've seen has been a bit scary at best. 

So, with the work I'm doing on my GT-1848 and the B-100 sitting forlornly in the corner of the garage waiting for TLC, investing anything in this 416-H is WAY down the priority list. The money from anything I sell off that one would be handy to finance the other parts, paint, etc. that I need.

Come to think of it, I have a 416-8 that I cleaned up and repainted to sell, but the 8-speed tends to pop out of gear in second.  I might consider doing a switch-over and putting all the nicely painted parts on the 416-H and selling that in the spring. Will need to decide which engine is in better shape.

Edited by davem1111
  • Like 2