Horse Newbie

1984 Work Horse GT-1600 REFRESH

Horse Newbie

Got a little setback… input shaft seal on transmission is leaking !

Dag-nab it!:ranting:

This is the one I muffed up on the first try and had to order another one. 
Ya’ll know any secrets to this one other than filing the shaft smooth and putting tape over the key way slot ?

Is this one a common problem causer ?

D5EED4C8-00CC-4C24-A6CD-23FFF33BA794.jpeg

4A8D4F36-8756-4922-9EFB-B32299BC6B7D.jpeg

WHX??

My Briggs twin had the 12's in it. You can run it for abit with the 19s & will not hurt anything but I would still get a pair of 12's for her. pulls the plugs after some hrs and get the color.

Welcome to the wreck the input shaft seal club. Got a feeling it's a big club. I get them by the half dozen and just mash a few right off to be done with it.

I wrecked so many on one tranny I finally tried putting in in backward with the lip out with success. So far no leaks. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

sjoemie himself
1 hour ago, Horse Newbie said:

Fire it up, Fire it up, Fire it up

😂 Recently discovered these fine gentlemen on YT, absolutely cracks me up every time.

Are they active on this forum?

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Horse Newbie said:

Fire it up !

Sounds GREAT!  Looks great too!  Good work!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Horse Newbie
2 hours ago, sjoemie himself said:

😂 Recently discovered these fine gentlemen on YT, absolutely cracks me up every time.

I don’t think so but I seen a post on here from one of their friends who makes appearances in their videos on YouTube.

His name is Elkskins and he has a YouTube channel himself called something like Elkskins Mower Junk Yard or something like that…:lol:

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Thanks 1

Horse Newbie

So I decided to go ahead and drain the diesel out of the transmission. I let her run awhile on jack stands through all gears, and the Hi/Lo. I would have preferred to run her around the yard to get it warmer , but that was not in the cards.

I will pour the stuff in a clear container, let it settle , and see what comes to the bottom…

How far up do you guys jack up the front to drain ? As you can see I am on dangerous ground here…

And if a little diesel is left in the transmission in front of the hump, won’t it go to the top when I fill it with heavy gear oil ?…

and after that get her warm, and change the transmission oil another time or two…

reckon that would be okay ?

C3621FDD-B53B-4D71-A664-505A0915A758.jpeg

91C428BE-16AB-4A31-9785-64D45900A3BB.jpeg

8C3BFDD3-A37D-4EF6-9B53-BCE7EBAD6B6C.jpeg

10A5B671-18A2-4DC7-877C-CE984434302F.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 1

Horse Newbie

Upon close examination of the input shaft, feeling it with a very small screwdriver, it feels like the shaft is worn a little where the seal rides. Have any of you guys seen this ?

I can also feel where the shaft gets a little larger as I slide the screwdriver towards the transmission. I may try to put a new seal in backwards like @WHX?? stated he did above.

Or how about putting some RTV or something similar ahead of the seal when I put the new seal in ?

What’s you guys thoughts ?

At the screwdriver tip is where it feels like the shaft gets larger.

4FC962D3-CD6E-4060-8EBA-02C86A7C8A37.jpeg

A943DCE0-6AD6-447D-B392-489225BB4258.jpeg

Edited by Horse Newbie

SylvanLakeWH

You’re plenty high in the transmission draining…! :handgestures-thumbupright:

yes just fill with oil and run it… little residual won’t hurt anything…

:twocents-twocents:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

You’re plenty high in the transmission draining…! :handgestures-thumbupright:

yes just fill with oil and run it… little residual won’t hurt anything…

:twocents-twocents:

Agreed.  

I'm with @WHX?? On the flip the seal method.  

Can't hurt.  

Engine sounds good!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

It went on so much easier and gave the lip a new surface to seal on.  A  small deep well socket to seat it but start by hand. Use some grease to aid and prevent seal burn till the tranny lube can get to it.  Take a little fine emery cloth and shine the shaft up as good as possible where the screwdriver is. . Yah you got diesel in it expect a little leak. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

oliver2-44

If there’s enough depth you might put 2 seals on the input shaft and flip the outer one. 

Edit, If that leak was with diesel in in you might not really have a problem. Most of the seals leaked with diesel on my C81. I put 80w-40 gear oil and no transmission leak. Engines another story. 

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
5 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

If there’s enough depth you might put 2 seals on the input shaft and flip the outer one. 

Edit, If that leak was with diesel in in you might not really have a problem. Most of the seals leaked with diesel on my C81. 

:text-yeahthat:Come to think of it one I peeled apart might have had two of them. I think it was Lowell told me once he uses two....CRS.

• Thanks 1

kpinnc

90 weight gear oil won't seep nearly as much as diesel mix. I would flip the seal and see how it goes.

On level ground, the input shaft seal is just below where the "full line" is on that transmission. Any leakage should be minimal.

I have one transmission that the pulley got pushed into the seal, and it wallowed out the case so that I can't even install a seal. 

• Thanks 1

Horse Newbie
17 hours ago, sjoemie himself said:

@sjoemie himself here is Taryl’s friend Elkskins… this is his username on Refsquare

97D44543-17AA-4CBD-A048-3D4E4E26B9DA.png

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Thanks 1

Lee1977

I'm with Kpinnc I don't think it will leak with 80w90 gear oil. I put SkF seals in my 312-8 then had to take it back apart put it back together and it doesn't leak .I better go check! I did it doesn't. At first it leaked a little in to the hitch pin, not enough

To be seen till you pulled the pin. Retightened the bolt back there hasn't got any worse. 

• Like 2

kpinnc
1 hour ago, Lee1977 said:

At first it leaked a little in to the hitch pin, not enough

To be seen till you pulled the pin. Retightened the bolt back there hasn't got any worse

A self-oiling hitch pin! That would be a good thing! :lol:

• Haha 1

Thor27
3 hours ago, kpinnc said:

A self-oiling hitch pin! That would be a good thing! :lol:

I like to drill the case and put a grease zerk there, i hate fighting with something so avoidable as a stuck pin.   For the seal, I'd try to put two in, and btw, really like the job you have done on the GT!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Horse Newbie

I have noticed a few on here have said use 80w-90 gear oil in the 8 speed transmission.

The manual says use 140 w… why do you guys say 80w-90 ?

ebinmaine
38 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

I have noticed a few on here have said use 80w-90 gear oil in the 8 speed transmission.

The manual says use 140 w… why do you guys say 80w-90 ?

Basically what it comes down to is that it's readily available and inexpensive. These transmissions are roughly 0% fussy.

You could probably run canned spray cheese and have good success.

Straight 40 weight engine oil and 80 or 90 weight gear oil are right around the same viscosity.

I run the least expensive possible 80w90 I can get my hands on and all of our manual transmissions.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Lee1977

I don't use WH hitch pins, I used three point schedule ! top link pins they come plated and a few thousands smaller in diameter. and a lot less likely to rust up. I don't have decanted machines that never get changed out. I'm always changing 

the rear tow hitch to the clevis hitch.

The early Wheel Horses had 40w engine oil in the transmissions and most are still working. 40w  engine oil and 85w gear oil are the same weight.  I don't see the need for 140w as It does get cold in NC.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 3

Horse Newbie
21 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

You could probably run canned spray cheese and have good success.

All I have is sliced fake cheese… will that work ? :lol:

• Haha 3

ebinmaine
Just now, Horse Newbie said:

It's probably made out of oil anyway so why not?

• Haha 2

Jeff-C175
3 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Maybe run it through the blender with a half a jar of "Miracle Whip" and you should be good to go.

• Haha 4

Horse Newbie

I think I have some 80w-90 on a shelf that is 20 years old… never been opened, that I had bought for a motorcycle trans.

As long as it’s not been opened should be fine…

@ebinmaine, @Lee1977… agree ?

• Like 2

ebinmaine
Just now, Horse Newbie said:

I think I have some 80w-90 on a shelf that is 20 years old… never been opened, that I had bought for a motorcycle trans.

As long as it’s not been opened should be fine…

@ebinmaine, @Lee1977… agree ?

I'd use it

• Like 1