Horse Newbie

1984 Work Horse GT-1600 REFRESH

Horse Newbie

And @kpinnc  I need to know what hour meter you use, or was that a volt  meter?… little round thing…

Horse Newbie
16 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

6000K will look bluish. Mine are 4500K and look snow white.

I got my dust caps at the big show years back. But I will definitely get some from Lowell if he has them.

I believe Lowell has them…

Jeff-C175
7 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Alright then… show me some LED taillights that are the same size as the rear reflectors on the Work Horse.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YEH49ZW/

image.png.b51f2fae2b15cc75629dd1a04d0b8350.png

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz………………good night… I’ll look at the taillights tomorrow… Thanks Jeff !

Edited by Horse Newbie

Jeff-C175
12 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

what hour meter you use

I'm pretty happy with this one so far:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IZDIU4/

But, do NOT buy this one if you want it to remain mounted in the panel.  Cheap plastic crap vibrates loose.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MDQJ9WB/

image.png.49bf0a7b55ead70b98d0b2111fbc64a8.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
10 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

good night

me too...

• Like 1

kpinnc
23 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Alright then… show me some LED taillights that are the same size as the rear reflectors on the Work Horse.

Walmart has them for $5 each. $9 each at Tractor Supply. 

• Like 2

Lee1977

The ones Jeff listed above have same lense as what was on mine, paper thin I have broken three of them . Don't think my tail lights are LED the size is 2" x 4" with 3" C/C bolt holes. The WH lenses are 4.99 a piece from Wheelhorse  Parts and More.

• Like 1

kpinnc
34 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

And @kpinnc  I need to know what hour meter you use, or was that a volt  meter?… little round thing…

I've had several. Sorry to say so, but most were Ebay cheapos. Most work great, only had one that fell apart. About $3 each, but the sky is the limit. You can find nicer ones. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine

On those black caps do a little searching on the fleabay before you buy. 

I got some last year and the price varies wiiiidely. 

I ended up with a bag of 16 or 20 for $19 and change. Just over a buck a piece. 

Many of the listings have them at $4 to $6 each or more. 

BBT has 3 tractors. I have 2 and several projects.

Each tractor uses 4. 2 on the wheel and 2 on the spindle. 

We wanted them in bulk. Price difference was huge.  

Definitely do something to tighten up that clutch switch. That's a high wear area and you'll be back in there right away if you don't address the looseness. 

Looking great overall !!

• Thanks 1

Horse Newbie
7 hours ago, kpinnc said:

Walmart has them for $5 each. $9 each at Tractor Supply. 

Looked at Walmart the other day… did not have… will have to check different Walmart

Horse Newbie
6 hours ago, kpinnc said:

I've had several. Sorry to say so, but most were Ebay cheapos. Most work great, only had one that fell apart. About $3 each, but the sky is the limit. You can find nicer ones. 

Now are these the little “stick on” type ?

I have already painted my dash panel and don’t want to drill a 1-1/2 or so hole in the dash .

kpinnc
1 hour ago, Horse Newbie said:

have already painted my dash panel and don’t want to drill a 1-1/2 or so hole in the dash .

Can't say I've tried them, but should be fine if waterproof.

• Like 1

peter lena

@Horse Newbie  am amazed to watch people go crazy over pin fittings , that you can get at a local  H/W  store , pull out drawer section, any way , your frame picture looks good , couple of detail pickups, that pto lever , hiding in plane site , the starting point of that close to battery tray , is a sloppy fit , plastic / steel washers about 3/8" and lubrication , make is solidly smooth . pto lever clip pin , after getting a closer fit , i have a spring pull on the bottom hole to frame area , no noise or flopping around. have HEIM JOINTS  on a lot of my stuff , use the fitted male stud bolt set up on tight spots , steering and snow plow quadrant rod ends , never had a HEIM FAIL ,  years and many hours , detail build / lubricate all your linkage set ups , mine work with no effort.  good job , pete 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don
11 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

Anybody used these for headlights ?

13C6C328-1259-4528-85BC-5DCB9E143B47.png

Yep, and we're quite pleased. I did run a dedicated ground for them to be sure of solid connections.

• Like 1

Gregor
4 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Yep, and we're quite pleased. I did run a dedicated ground for them to be sure of solid connections.

I have used a lot of them, but I don't know why. I don't go out at night.:hide:

• Haha 2

Handy Don
Just now, Gregor said:

I have used a lot of them, but I don't know why. I don't go out at night.:hide:

Excellent point. We only use the lights for nighttime trail rides after the day's work is done!

• Like 2

Southern_Secret
On 1/17/2022 at 8:49 PM, Horse Newbie said:
On 1/17/2022 at 6:40 PM, ebinmaine said:

Will most likely never use chains… my tractor skills are so awesome, won’t need them.....

Rrriiuggghhhttt.  

When you get that beast finished up c'mon upta the land of ice n' snow ❄️

We'll see how far you get with plain rubbah tires.  

:ROTF:

You know … chains, we don’t need no stinking chains ! … especially when we average 2” per 10 years or so…

Are you re-thinking that statement now with all the ice NC is getting? :laughing-rolling::ychain:

• Haha 2

kpinnc
4 hours ago, Southern_Secret said:

Are you re-thinking that statement now with all the ice NC is getting? 

Nope. Even though we do get ice and a little snow, it is usually gone in 24 hours.

Mountains? Not so true. 

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 2

Southern_Secret
Just now, kpinnc said:

it is usually gone in 24 hours.

@kpinnc I live in NE Mississippi so i know what you are talking about, anything over 24hr and we start looking for the 2nd coming of Christ! :teasing-tease:

• Haha 1

Horse Newbie
5 hours ago, Southern_Secret said:

Are you re-thinking that statement now with all the ice NC is getting? :laughing-rolling::ychain:

Nope… what we got last night… 3 inches has already melted !:lol:

@Southern_Secret, and @kpinnc, this is the “1984 Work Horse GT-1600 Refresh thread, not the “ Who All’s Ready for the Snow” thread !  :lol:

Anyways, back to the Work Horse…

A red wire comes off the “B” (battery) terminal on the switch, goes to ammeter, turns pink, to 15 amp fuse, turns back red, to one side of the solenoid/ post. Also going to this post is a heavy gauge wire from + battery. Off the other post on the solenoid a heavy gauge wire goes to starter. Does it matter which side of the solenoid I go to with the wires as long as I keep the small gauge wire from switch and the heavy gauge wire from battery+ on the same post and go off the other post to the starter ?

Horse Newbie

Out here working on the Work Horse…

Concerning these belt keepers at the engine…

Note the belt is on and the clutch is released as it would be under normal operation…

Is this when you position the keepers ?

If you look at the bottom side keeper it looks about right, how about the top side keeper ?

8A434BE4-2441-457B-90CA-7138F5429074.jpeg

B0C5F826-0EC5-4ED7-B94F-03E38C97186C.jpeg

• Excellent 1

Handy Don

Those look ok to me. I aim for about ½" clearance and always check to make sure that no sharp edges will hit the belt when it "bounces" and hits a keeper.

• Like 1

wallfish

Looks good. They should be positioned about 1/8" away from the belt edge with the belt tight and the clutch engaged like you have it.

Test with the engine running and the belt should release from the engine pulley when the clutch pedal is pushed. Some fine adjust may be necessary if it doesn't completely release.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Horse Newbie
58 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Those look ok to me. I aim for about ½" clearance and always check to make sure that no sharp edges will hit the belt when it "bounces" and hits a keeper.

They have a little wear on the keepers… not much, just somewhat of a flat spot .

• Like 2