D_Mac

Case 224

D_Mac

So today I decided to attach the snowblower. Little tricky trying to get the belt over the cooling fan. Not much room in there. I got it mounted and the belt on. Started the engine and the hydro lifted and lowered it with ease. Engaged the PTO and seems to work perfectly.  A little noisy. I didn't see any grease fittings, sprayed everything with some PB Blaster. Came with tire chains for the rear tires but I need to shorten them. This Case is a monster. Don't understand why they are not more popular.

20211014_133925.jpg

20211014_133910.jpg

• Like 1

rjg854

Well done Don

• Thanks 1

D_Mac

Did a little more painting and put some decals on it. I'm really impressed with this Case. Not a fan of the shaker mounts. That's the only bad thing I can say about it. 

20211025_122312.jpg

20211025_122223.jpg

20211024_212834.jpg

D_Mac

Beast Mode

20211030_165318.jpg

20211030_165327.jpg

20211108_134628.jpg

D_Mac

Had someone come look at it yesterday. He made an offer that I turned down. With any luck I will still have it when snow flies so I can try it out !!! Fingers crossed.

20211115_110555.jpg

APG2

I have a 1977 Case 444 with the mowing deck, tiller, 3pt, rear pto, snowblower, and dozer blade. These are fantastic machines, and the float feature is a major plus. All work I do with it is in low range, easiest to control wheel spin. If you have the hold back valve, nothing to worry about, if you don't, going down hills is has to be full throttle or at "retard" position or it will freewheel down a hill. Do not run hydraulic oil in it, use 20w-50. My father had a few wheelhorse machines, I've had 2, (some people are gunna be butthurt), but Case 200/400 series are far superior. They're great tractors, the hydraulics are absolutely bullet proof.

Edited by APG2
Missed info
  • Excellent 1

D_Mac
5 hours ago, APG2 said:

I have a 1977 Case 444 with the mowing deck, tiller, 3pt, rear pto, snowblower, and dozer blade. These are fantastic machines, and the float feature is a major plus. All work I do with it is in low range, easiest to control wheel spin. If you have the hold back valve, nothing to worry about, if you don't, going down hills is has to be full throttle or at "retard" position or it will freewheel down a hill. Do not run hydraulic oil in it, use 20w-50. My father had a few wheelhorse machines, I've had 2, (some people are gunna be butthurt), but Case 200/400 series are far superior. They're great tractors, the hydraulics are absolutely bullet proof.

Yes I operate it in low gear. In high gear it is super fast, hard to control. I have never used it on a hill. They are built to last and when I posted this post I was shocked that they were not so popular. I would like to know whats not to like about them.

APG2
6 hours ago, D_Mac said:

Yes I operate it in low gear. In high gear it is super fast, hard to control. I have never used it on a hill. They are built to last and when I posted this post I was shocked that they were not so popular. I would like to know whats not to like about them.

I honestly have no complaints with mine. Parts are easy to find still. The EZ Adjust pto can be a pain if you don't follow the directions to a T. With the snowblower, the exhaust will create major ice build up up front. A common issue is getting major ice build up from snow spray and building up around the fan for the hydraulic cooler and busting the fan blades. Just keep an eye out for build up and keep it clean. That's all I got

Edited by APG2

Inspectorjoe

I found this thread after doing a search, and I have to say, I'm somewhat disappointed. There's been a very reasonably priced 1978 224 near me that's been up for sale for a few weeks, and I've been trying to talk myself out of buying it. Reading the great things said about the 224 in this thread didn't help. :-)

A year ago, I bought a 1968 Case 155 at an online auction. It had been sitting in an open shed for many years. I was surprised at how easy it was to get running - just some carb parts, two valve stems and tightening a few hydraulic line fittings. It was a really cool tractor, but I didn't see me ever using it and didn't have room for it, so I sold it. Selling it for 5X what I paid for it softened the blow, but I regretted it soon after and still regret it to this day.

As a justification for buying the 224 (I have a wife who firmly believes I have enough tractors) I've been mulling over the idea of retrofitting a Wheel Horse snow blade to it. But dealing with the hydraulic drive motor in front of the axle would require some creative engineering.

IMG_7122.JPG

• Like 1

D_Mac

i did end up selling mine, not because I didnt like it but I just dont have any use for them. I get my pleasure out of fixing them up and then passing them on to someone who can use them .They are very well built. Buy it right and you cant go wrong.