T-Mo

Yanmar YM1700

T-Mo

I'm going to go look at this tractor Saturday.  From my limited research, Yanmar made two different versions of this tractor.  This one, from the '70s, and a later one around 2000.  Both could be had in 2WD or 4WD.  17 hp, two cylinder diesel, 8 speed, dual range transmission, catergory 1 3 point hitch.  This one is missing a fender (may be impossible to find one), and has an issue with the right brake.

Anyone here have knowledge of a Yanmar YM1700?

Yanmar YM1700 3.jpeg

Yanmar YM1700 2.jpeg

Yanmar YM1700 1.jpeg

• Like 4

ZXT

I don't have a YM1700, but i do have a YM2500. Has been a good tractor with little issue. Only thing really wrong with mine are the brakes (Common to all YM tractors of the era) as the activating lever seizes up in the bushing where it goes into the transmission. I also need more weight on the rear end - can't pick up much with the FEL and be able to get traction.

Hoye tractor is a good resource for parts and knowledge for Yanmars. They have a list of models to buy/avoid based mainly on parts availability, and the YM1700 is on the list to buy. Good tractor if you can get it worth the money! 

https://www.hoyetractor.com/modelstoavoid.htm

IMG_4506.jpg.a22e1f66035784bc5041c992bcb7c4f3.jpg

Edited by ZXT

cschannuth

I don’t know about the tractor itself but we have a tractor with a Yanmar diesel in it and it has been bullet proof for 25 years.

T-Mo

I believe the YM1700 from the 70s is supposed to be lime green in color.  This one shows some green showing through the red primer.

The price isn't bad, $800, and I might get it for less.  The missing fender will be a problem as I'm sure I won't be able to find one.  This thing looks to be awful narrow...from tractordata, which I don't trust much, says it's 44 inches wide.  Pretty narrow. 

• Like 2

Pullstart
9 hours ago, T-Mo said:

The price isn't bad, $800

I’m sure if it runs, it’s worth it!

Tractorhead

Don‘t go for it - run.

They be all very similarly.

the old kubotas, isekis yanmar and mitsubishis are all more less the same Quality.

They be built for hard Work and have a extreme simple construction.

As long as the Engines run with enough Oil, they be longterm reliable and low fuel consumption Workers.

Weakpoints are Typically cardans on the four wheelers and shifter boot seals (they shall be free of wear)

The Hydraulic Fluid is mostly also the Gearbox oil, a regular change is recommanded.

if the compression is good they start also on -24deg.C without problems.

They be built for long term use daily, what the do pretty well, they don‘t like just short term runs.

that is my experiences 

T-Mo

Well, I won't be going to look at it...it sold.  I'm not surprised.  It was a good price, in my opinion, and it ran and shifted through all the gears, pto work, etc. The missing fender would have drove me crazy.

• Sad 1

ZXT

Well dang - I think you would've liked it. Keep your eyes open - I gave a little less than twice what they were asking for mine with the FEL and brush hog. They pop up from time to time.