Jimdad85

Cant beat a dead horse

Jimdad85

IMG_20210928_111607292.jpg

Achto

What you have pictured is a pick up for a magneto coil. The wire diagram uses a battery ignition coil like the one pictured below.

ignition-coil.jpg.ba358a052a43f99cae6956e2cc0b5d70.jpg

Edited by Achto

Jimdad85

So the orange wire from the ign switch in the diagram would go to the magneto ground and the other end would go to the - of the battery..no power!!

Achto

We need a Techy expert here. Or give me a few to find a diagram for a :wh: with a Techy. 

Jimdad85

That would be awesome. I dont mean to be a pain, i just dunt understand why it works lol. I was going to leave it with the solenoid but it would be nice to delete the mess..

Gregor
16 minutes ago, Jimdad85 said:

So they are saying that someone has added a coil to the techy d think the magneto may still be behind the fly wheel

Are there any wires coming from BEHIND the flywheel? If not, it doesn't matter whats back there, it's not being used.

Ya don't suppose this is another one of those "triiger pin" style ignition systems?:angry-screaming:

Edited by Gregor

Jimdad85

It looks like the yellow ground to block goes down behind by the coil and then back up..more diggingIMG_20210928_142958280.jpg.c9c14d5e0bcb1cca435be4fd02c926f4.jpg

Achto
3 minutes ago, Jimdad85 said:

I was going to leave it with the solenoid but it would be nice to delete the mess..

The starter solenoid will have not effect on the ignition system.

Jimdad85

Some were saying go back to no solenoid and a huge ignition switch

Achto
4 minutes ago, Jimdad85 said:

a huge ignition switch

Huge starter switch.

The ignition switch can be a simple toggle switch.

Gregor

1968 Raider 9 with a 10 HP Tecumseh. But probably not a made for Sears Tecumseh. No S/G, but I believe his S/G was added on.

This may hurt more than it helps.

647958617_Screenshot2021-09-29at19-16-44Tractor1968Raider91-6931Wi-Tractor1968Raider91-6931WiringRevpdf.png.63053bf7b4218811e1f87758c8e6c65c.png

Jimdad85

Im being told if i remove the solenoid, i need the high amperage switch...should i just leave the solenoid and replace the key switch with mom. int. Buttun..i say key switch its a starter key switch

Jimdad85

That looks a little better. Instead of ac from magneto it would come from my s/g yes? I need to draw it out with the switches and the way he has it wired. Currently the tecy is bolted to the frame and has no wires running to anything. Except the coil but thats on the block. It has spark and will even fire briefly with gas in spark hole. Backward engineering

Jimdad85

If anyone would be interested in a video call it might make it easieer. Then you could see whatever..idk in reaching for something🙄

Gregor

Your starting circuit, and your ignition circuit, are completely separate, or at least they should be. One has nothing to do with the other.

• Excellent 1

Jimdad85

Sorry. A high amp starter switch..as the s/g draws heavy amperage..without the solenoid a simple switch would fry. That what i read from a member. Maybe easiest to keep the starter solenoid🤷🏼‍♂️

Jimdad85

My basic understanding of this motor is that the flywheel has some sort of pickup on it and there is a magneto and as it passes the magneto it creates a signal, the signal is then sent to the coil the coil sends that signal or pulse to the spark plug generating a spark. This is only possible if the system is ground which is why I have the wire grounding to the shroud. Once the motor is running the only way to get the engine to stop is to break the ground which I'm assuming is why there's a another wire running to the ignition labeled switch and the other end of that wire would be ground out or hooked to the negative of the battery I just want to start with that and make sure I understand that. When the plunger is pulled it would break the ground and there would be no spark?

Gregor

Pull the flywheel, see what's under there, if anything. If the yellow wire is indeed a kill wire, having it run to ground, the motor will never run.

Jimdad85

It has spark..and runs with the yellow wire bolted to the block... I just really dont know

pfrederi

You have the ignition on the left.  Three wires from the pulse transformer.  One spark plug, one primary (which has a couple cautions about disconnecting it) and one to kill the ignition. Where does the small black wire in your picture above go?

nonalt.JPG

Jimdad85

The black wire starts out red and is hooked to the shroud..it then turns yellow and dissapears behind flywheel..when i pull on it i believe it is attatched to something..a yellow wire then comes back from behind flywheel and is coonected to a black wire which goes into the coil

IMG_20210930_100054472.jpg

Jimdad85

IMG_20210930_100147409_HDR.jpg

Jimdad85

IMG_20210930_100137218.jpg.7ee4f89015fd4b20264436d9a505f93b.jpg

Jimdad85

It may be safe to assume, the yellow black behind flywheel going to coil comes from stator and the yellow red from behind flywheel going to ground must be from stator going to ground...if grounding the system would kill the spark..how do i have spark when 8ts already ground?

pfrederi

I have no experience with these.  One wire should go from under the flywheel (stator or something) to the pulse unit the other looks to go from pulse unit to a switched ground.. or at least I would think so.  This is a real hack job.  You will probably have to pull the flywheel and see where the primary goes and where the other wire winds up if it is connected at all.  Somehow they must have had a wire from the pulse to the switch on the instrument panel.