the jeep driver

Starter grinds or won't engage the flywheel.

the jeep driver

Hello.  I have a 1985 Wheel Horse 417A 31-17KE01.  I'm having a few issues with it...

First is starting it.  When I turn the key, one of three things will happen;

1. cranks the engine over.

2. the starter activates (makes a whirring noise) but does not turn the engine over.  My guess, I don't think the rod is pushing the pinion gear out to catch the flexplate.  

3. something makes a loud grinding noise; my guess, maybe the rod is pushing the pinion out, but not far enough to catch the flexplate?

Options 2 and 3 are occurring more and more often....  

There is a cover over the end of the starter where it would make contact with the flexplate; I can't figure how to take the cover off to watch what is happening when I try to start it.  I could pull the starter off and lube the pinion rod and put the starter back, but I thought I'd see what the Forum thinks I should do. 

Many thanks.

roadapples

Had one acting like that a few years ago. Took it apart and blew out about 45 years worth of dust and it's been working fine ever since...

• Like 1

pacer

From your description (which is nicely descriptive) it sounds very much like your "bendix" is failing. It is the gear on the end of the starter that when it spins it slings forward and engages the teeth on the flywheel to start and then it reverts back. This is a fairly common starter problem and you can (most likely) buy just it and replace it --- although since the starter will have to be removed you should inspect the other parts that are prone to wear -,  brushes and the bushings and ck the magnets being still glued tightly and not broken.

• Like 1

Achto
3 hours ago, the jeep driver said:

I could pull the starter off and lube the pinion rod and put the starter back,

If you decide to try to lube your Bendix on the the starter do not use a liquid lubricant. The results will not be good. You will want to use dry graphite powder to lube the Bendix.

• Like 3

gwest_ca

• Like 1

the jeep driver

It occurred to me this morning that I'd be able to see if the pinion gear (now I know it's the Bendix, thank you!) was engaging the flexplate if I took off the grass screen.  I did so; I can see the end of the starter, and when I turn the key the starter does move the flywheel.  Battery is now dead and junk, so I'm off to Interstate to buy a new one before work.  I'll pull the starter and inspect it.  @pacer, what am I looking for on the Bendix?  Missing teeth?

20210920_121512[1].jpg

the jeep driver
14 hours ago, Achto said:

If you decide to try to lube your Bendix on the the starter do not use a liquid lubricant. The results will not be good. You will want to use dry graphite powder to lube the Bendix.

We're talking about lubing the shaft, not the gear itself?  What would a liquid lubricate do? I was going to put white lithium grease on the shaft; is that a no? 

Achto
4 minutes ago, the jeep driver said:

I was going to put white lithium grease on the shaft; is that a no? 

If you get any grease on the rubber part that is attached to the gear it will slip and not turn the engine over. Plus it will attract dust & actually gum up the shaft & gear making it stick again. I have found the dry graphite powder works the best.

• Like 1

pacer
2 hours ago, the jeep driver said:

what am I looking for on the Bendix?  Missing teeth?

From your description of it being intermittent it may be .... difficult ? to determine its condition. When it fails completely and the starter wont try at all to engage then you can turn the gear in either direction, but if it is intermittent that may not do this. I got a feeling that youre gonna have to go in and do the diagnosis. As I mentioned earlier worn bushings, worn brushes, a loose magnet, etc could possibly cause this. 

Why dont you get on youtube and do a search on fixing a starter - really, on most of the bigger Koehler engines will be close enough to yours that you can get the gist of doing the repair. Lordy, I dont know how I ever got along with out youtube!!! This very day I am tearing into the automatic tranny on my F150, the ONLY way I would have done that was to find a you tube that walks me right thru the steps!!

• Like 1

the jeep driver
52 minutes ago, pacer said:

the ONLY way I would have done that was to find a you tube that walks me right thru the steps!!

Same way I fix my Jeep... 
OK, I'll see what I can find once I get the starter off. Thanks.