8ntruck

B&S Intek 190 surging

8ntruck

The B&S Intek on my tiller is surging.  It wants partial choke to run anywhere close to smoothly.  The plug is powdery black, suggesting that it is rich, yet the surging suggests that it is lean. 

I've got a carb kit orderedand I will pick up a new plug.  Think I will also pull the tins to make sure there is nothing fouling the fins or governor linkage.  

Anybody have any other ideas?

Edited by 8ntruck

Achto
14 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Anybody have any other ideas?

Did the governor arm slip or move on the shaft? If it is out of adjustment it will surge.

oliver2-44

With it running spray some carb clearer around the carb shafts and the carb to block base gasket to check for air leakage.  If it speeds up when you spray, it has leakage.

• Like 1

8ntruck

@oliver2-44 you got it.  It appears that the throttle shaft seal is not sealing, as the shot of carb cleaner on the shaft smoothed things out.

Fortunately, the carb kit includes new shaft steals.

oliver2-44

When you disassemble that carb, remember those brass screws on the butterfly are staked on the back side. I take a file or dremel and carefully file them flush. Then gently turn the screw 1/8 turn out then back in, 1/4 out then back in, etc. They break off very easily (ask me how I know). Replace the screws with new brass one and use blue lox tite on the threads

8ntruck

The rebuild kit I had ordered arrived.  I picked it up today and went through the carb again.  I did not pull the Welsh plugs, as the replacement plugs were a different size.  

Minor improvement in the way it runs.  It will run with the choke open, but it still surges.  It ran well enough to get the tilling job that needed doing done.  I ran it long enough under load with the new plug to get a good reading on it.

If I overide the governor by hand, the engine smoothes out.  On the other hand, it won't idle.

Think I'll add a dab of grease on the throttle shaft to act as a seal to see if that helps.