Boots

Grears Grinding

Boots

The old drive belt jumped the engine pully. Because it was worn and ragged, I bought a new belt, after installation, the drive pully on the transmission turns all the time not allowing the gears to engage without grinding. Put the old belt back on and the pully still turns all the time. Tried adjusting the brake/clutch rods with same results! 

• Like 1

dcrage

Sounds like you do NOT have your belt guard on. Guard must be in place with the proper belt routing to get the belt to stop moving when the clutch is disengaged. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

gwest_ca

Welcome to Red Square.

What model of tractor do you have?

The belt guard must be installed to support the belt for clutch operation.

Garry

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

When you depress the clutch the lower rail of the belt guard must catch the slack of the belt. Also There are guides at the engine pulley and idler that need to be in place.

1832528089_102_3240(1).JPG.cae3e7aa4bf924d7812a688688087da3.JPG102_3247.JPG.2d338da50de4690b1756889f84d90ba3.JPG374974180_102_3246(1).JPG.6e1b39276b1ea57b09fe88221dacfe57.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Your member profile says you have a 753, so that’s what I’m assuming.  Like the other fellas mentioned, you’ll need your belt guard installed to act as part of your clutch system.  Let us know how it goes!

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

They have you covered…

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs: You came to the right place.  The lower flange on the belt guard supports the slack belt.  This support along with the belt guides on the idler pulley and the engine pulley prevent the belt from contacting the engine pulley and stops the belt from moving.

• Like 1

edgro

Why is there two belts on the tractor in the picture? I have not seen that before

953 nut
16 minutes ago, edgro said:

Why is there two belts on the tractor in the picture? I have not seen that before

The picture is f a 953 and the shorter belt runs the hydraulic pump for the lift.

edgro

Thanks, I thought it was maybe something like that

Boots

I have read all the post to my problem of the gears grinding and tomorrow I'll check out my 753 against the photos the other members posted and correct my tractor. If I can take photos and post them of my solution. I built a break and installed it.  Seems to work OK. I'll get back with you.