RandyLittrell

Old HF parts washer

lynnmor
4 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

I pulled out my old parts washer which must be pushing 15 years old and I haven't used it since before I moved into this shop. 

It still had a 1/2" of solvent in it! I moved here 6 years ago and its been sitting in the shed ever since! 

Best part is it still works! I really thought I might need a new pump, but she is purring right along! 

Most of what I own is older than that.

• Like 2

JoeM

Anyone tried the water based parts solvent like the ZEP stuff?

pacer

I have ,,,, a 'look alike' in one, must be 25yrs old! So old that it would pump mineral spirits - Varsol (my favorite) and others like diesel, kerosene, etc. and I used it a LOT! But, it was plastic and eventually cracked. I suppose HF realized this as a problem and started using metal tubs, so I just went and got a metal tub one .... Within days the pump quit working ... hmmm, took it back and they exchanged it -- done the same thing. So I (finally!) read the directions and sure nuff says "do not use mineral spirits" (you might blow yourself up, thank you OSHA, Ralph Nader) So I try one of the "safe' cleaners (dont remember which) and what a joke, was useless! Still had the cracked tub with the pump that still worked ... soooo using my 'cobbling together' knowledge, I mounted the old pump in the new metal tub --- Viola! worked like a champ with Varsol and in fact is in use til this day, dern handy tool!

• Like 1

RandyLittrell
1 hour ago, JoeM said:

I have not, thought about it though. 

11 minutes ago, pacer said:

"do not use mineral spirits"

That is exactly what I am using and pretty sure that is what had been in the bottom of it for the last 10 years. Mine must be old enough!! 

Randy

WHX??
1 hour ago, JoeM said:

I did once Joe and didn't like it. It turned AL parts black if you soaked it too long and just didn't cut crud and grease like mineral spirits  does. 

And I had a five gallon bucket of the stuff. It worked good thru the pressure washer tho. 

Thanks for reminding me I need to clean it one of these days Randy.. rather have root canal tho! 

• Haha 2

JoeM

I have a five gallon can of mineral based cleaner and kind of recycle it in an oil drain tub just using a brush. works ok I don't dump it back into the original can but put it in a container as used. I use the used stuff first then if needed use the new to finish up. 

I have one of those plastic portable ones and it requires water based. I have not used it yet.

Wonder if one of those cheap diesel fuel pumps would work good enough with the solvent?

Edited by JoeM
  • Like 2

WHX??

Very similar to the water based stuff I used here

Who you callin frugal Joe! :lol: 60 bucks a can! 

I drain it back to the original can thru a funnel and cheese cloth to get the old gasket material, metal bits & red paint flakes out. 

I tried frying oil filters and worked but talk about a mess!  

Let it set for a couple of weeks so the crud goes to the bottom of the can then after wiping out the washer .... yep root canal ther :D

Carefully dump it back in so as not to disturb the crap in the bottom of the can & leave some of the nasty stuff in the can. Add new as needed. 

13 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

6 years ago and its been sitting in the shed ever since! 

? here Randy .... how did you get by so long without needing it!! 

RandyLittrell
49 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

? here Randy .... how did you get by so long without needing it!! 

My Grandson was born 6 years ago, so that played a part! Multiple surgeries and going on disability during this time as well. 

Dad passed 12 years ago and Mom decided to sell the place in the country the same month my Grandson was born. Dad had a 36x50 shop and a couple of outbuildings. Mom's place sold the first day and I had 30 days to do something with a lot of stuff!! I got lucky and bought a lot that had a double car garage on it, 24x24 for cheap money but had to put 10 pounds of you know what in a 5 pound building. It has taken me this long, to get where I get actually work on tractors instead of just fixing things as they broke!

Life likes to throw punches and I'm just bobbin and weavin!!! 

Randy

Edited by RandyLittrell
  • Like 1

pfrederi

I have an almost 20 yr old harbor freight 20 gal metal parts washer.  i use GUNK S-C Super  Concentrate de-greaser.  1:10 with Kerosene Works good smells bad.  I really have to clean mine out.  Dropped a part and had to go fishing for it there must be 2" of sludge on the bottom....been several years since i did it..

• Like 1

squonk

Fishing out a part! You haven't lived until you had to fish out a Quadrajet metering rod from the bottom of a 15 gallon Safety Klean carb cleaning machine. And the cleaner was brand new and potent. My arm looked like a prune for a month! :o

• Like 1

aemsee
8 hours ago, squonk said:

Fishing out a part! You haven't lived until you had to fish out a Quadrajet metering rod from the bottom of a 15 gallon Safety Klean carb cleaning machine. And the cleaner was brand new and potent. My arm looked like a prune for a month! :o

that old organic solvent in those carb cleaner buckets was toxic as hell....but it sure worked great