Sign in to follow this  
Red Horse

Model D

Red Horse

I came across a man who had a mid seventies model D for sale. Had the twin cyl Kohler (i think it was a D 200) anyway he wanted $2750 for it . Had 3 point hitch. .Live splined PTO and a 42 "deck. Also had a Brinley plow /cultivator and new ag tires. The unit itself had about 500 hours on it as it was owned by an older gent who had placed it in a shed that was open on 3 sides so there was surface rust over the sheet metal on the entire tractor. I drove it it ran very nicely and was a hydrostat tranny. My question is how far out of range is this guy? Kohler engine looked like it had more than the hours indicated on it but it did run well. Any comments?

kpinnc

Not the one on hwy 601 in Concord is it?

If it is, I would say it is WAY overpriced. That seller is that way about most of his items. I've driven the D that he has, and it is decent mechanically, but still too high. He supposedly sold it to someone- I think in Arkansas, but it must have fell through.

The seller is a good fella, just a little clueless on pricing. I have dealt with him before, and he will definitely come down a bit with some polite haggling.

Put it like this- He wanted $2000 for a C120, and $400 for a rusty old transmission.... :thumbs2:

But at the same time, he's made some really decent deals with me too.

Good luck!

Kevin

d180man

Hi we have gave 75.00 to a 1000.00 just for the tractors if you can find them ? do you have a photo of it ? plow run 250.00 to 400.00 deck 75.00 to 200.00 cultivator 50.00 to 200.00 and ag tires run 150.00 to 200.00 this is just what we run across! i dont know what other members would think? :thumbs2: but a photo would help ! but it comes down to how bad you wount it or how bad he like to sale it! thanks hope this help some! :thumbs:

wh500special

I hate to participate in the tractor value discussions since we all have such differing opinions, but that price seems quite high to me...like by a factor of 2.

I'd value the package as if I was to split it up and eBayed.

Tractor $700

3pt $250

PTO $150

Deck $150

Plow $150

Cultivator $100

sum = $1500

There ought to be some kind of discount for buying the whole package, so I think this sounds like a $1200-$1500 deal at the top end. Yes, there are guys who have found mint D200's with all the implements for $35, but that's not very common.

If it is an old enough D200 it will have turning brakes which can add another $200 to the sum, but I think he's pretty optimistic at that price. If you were to chop at part the tractor it could be worth quite a bit more if stuff like the seat, steering gearbox, and other things are in nice shape and original.

Now, if you NEEDED a tractor and this one fits the bill it probably isn't that bad of a value when you consider what $2700 will buy you on the new market. Not much more than a big, but light duty lawn tractor.

500 hours on that engine is nothing. D's have some weak spots - mostly relating to the transaxle/transmission - but 500 hours can't have taken too bad a toll. Paint technology from this era was pretty lousy (not just on WH's, on everything) so it is the rare tractor from 30 years ago that isn't rusty.

He'll think you're insulting him if you offer less than half what he thinks it's worth so I'd be inclined to walk from this deal unless you're in need of such a beast.

Best of luck,

Steve

TT

Here's one (a 1973 18 automatic though - and currently on eBay) that's less than 20 miles from me.

For the sake of argument (and possibly starting one) I think it would be wiser to spend money like that on a 520 hydro. If you absolutely need a bigger tractor, an older small farm tractor like a Farmall Cub or A, Allis Chalmers B, C, or CA, etc. would work well and still have collector value. :thumbs2:

Gene_S

I agree with TT on buying a small tractor instead of the price for a D series. If that is what the D series are going for gosh i have all them attachments plus snow plow and 50 inch belly blade but I will leave it in my stable for now...

Gene :thumbs2:

Red Horse

Thanks guys for your input. I really had no intention of buying this tractor as I have no place to use it or justify the expense. I agree with the comments made about just getting a Farmall Cub if I needed a tractor that big. I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade who likes them - hey they're wheel horses but I just thought this guy was off the radar when it came to pricing. This tractor has been for sale for a long time and it looks like thats they way it's going to stay. Just chalk this one up to being curious.