chipwitch

Machine Key pto clutch

chipwitch

Okay, so this is a question about the machine key that transmits torque to the clutch plate.  It's Labor Day weekend, and virtually every business in my sleepy little town left early Friday for the holiday.  So...

As some of you may know, I received a 16hp replacement engine for my C-165 and didn't have the sleeve adapter to go from a 1" engine shaft to a 1-1/8" sheave. No one in town was open but I considered myself lucky to find one on Amazon for 12 bucks and they would deliver it the next day... Sunday... Labor Day weekend!!!  SMH.  The package arrived today but unfortunately, the key they sent is the wrong size (3/16") and the slot in the sleeve is 0.230 inches.  What crap.  The OD and ID are "probably" acceptable.  Both seem a tad loose.  Anyway, I don't have the proper keystock.  I have 1/4" square which is fine except the sleeve adapter adds 1/16" to the keyway between the shaft and sheave.  Ideally, I would use a 1/4" x 5/16".  I also have some woodruff keys.  Of course the roundness means that there is less cross section in the shear direction than ideal.  The ones I have are pretty long but fall about 3/16" shy of full length engagement of the sheave.  I'm thinking if I grind the height of the woodruff key down to 5/16" I'm probably good to go.  Just wanted to run it past y'all first to see what you thought.

kasey54

I'm no expert. I'd want to know where any"looseness" was coming from. Nothing sounds right as you have described it.. I'd check the shaft in a fashion to leave me certain it wasn't worn. Preferably with  a micrometer. 2nd I'd check the bore of the PTO assembly.I'm thinking you have a very substandard shaft adapter that should be replaced with a good one. I wouldn't want more than a total of .005" of clearance between all items here, shaft, adapter, and pto. Just my $.02. I'd also want the gap in my sleeve when installed to be a bit snug on my key. Good luck. Maybe more will chime in.

kasey54

What brand is your replacement engine? Any chance its a metric shaft?

• Like 1

chipwitch
10 minutes ago, kasey54 said:

What brand is your replacement engine? Any chance its a metric shaft?

It's a Carroll Stream Rhino

kasey54

i've never heard of it.

kasey54

Google says its 1 inch ,good sofar.

953 nut

You probably need some "STEP KEYSTOCK" for this application.

Step Keystock – Zinc-Plated Steel - Maudlin Products

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

chipwitch
6 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

You probably need some "STEP KEYSTOCK" for this application.

Step Keystock – Zinc-Plated Steel - Maudlin Products

No, both the sheave and shaft are 1/4"

• Like 1

Snoopy11
4 hours ago, chipwitch said:

You don't have any steel laying around, do you chip? I... always make my own... using 316 stainless... 

Don

Snoopy11

You... know that you can also buy them at auto parts stores... usually... Chip...

Don

Snoopy11

And at home improvement stores....

Don

chipwitch
4 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

You... know that you can also buy them at auto parts stores... usually... Chip...

Don

Ha!  Not where I live!  LOL... Podunk.  I'm sure they can order them, but O'Reilleys and Advance didn't know what I was talking about.  My Napa guy is real good, he'd know exactly what I was talking about but would probably have to order it.  Still, he took the weekend off.  So... here I am... unable to mow my lawn. :(

Snoopy11
2 minutes ago, chipwitch said:

Ha!  Not where I live!  LOL... Podunk.  I'm sure they can order them, but O'Reilleys and Advance didn't know what I was talking about.  My Napa guy is real good, he'd know exactly what I was talking about but would probably have to order it.  Still, he took the weekend off.  So... here I am... unable to mow my lawn. :(

I'd end up going to walmart, buying a hatchet and cutting one out of the steel hatchet. 

yes, I improvise where I can...

What happened to... ⬇

18 hours ago, chipwitch said:

I'm thinking if I grind the height of the woodruff key down to 5/16" I'm probably good to go.

Don

Handy Don
33 minutes ago, chipwitch said:

So... here I am... unable to mow my lawn. :(

Lesson: Take. The. Day. Off.

The lawn will be there tomorrow or the next day!

• Like 1

pacer

That is one area where you absolutely DO NOT want ANY slack!! That why so often when you need to remove a key you very often have to give them some .... help? getting them prized out of the slot. I have had instances where I have mangled the key so badly it wasnt reusable. The slightest bit of slop in there will RAPIDLY beat out the pocket and the piece on it. Wheel hubs are notorious for this....

chipwitch
2 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

What happened to... ⬇

Don

I ground down a woodruff key :)

Just figured out how I'm doing the mount.  I needed to figure out how to do it with what I have on hand.  I think I'm all set now.  I hope to have the mount done today.

Snoopy11
43 minutes ago, chipwitch said:

I ground down a woodruff key :)

Just figured out how I'm doing the mount.  I needed to figure out how to do it with what I have on hand.  I think I'm all set now.  I hope to have the mount done today.

:bow-blue:

pfrederi
3 hours ago, pacer said:

That is one area where you absolutely DO NOT want ANY slack!! That why so often when you need to remove a key you very often have to give them some .... help? getting them prized out of the slot. I have had instances where I have mangled the key so badly it wasnt reusable. The slightest bit of slop in there will RAPIDLY beat out the pocket and the piece on it. Wheel hubs are notorious for this....

Just take a look at this new post showing what happens when a key fails...

Gregor
5 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

So... here I am... unable to mow my lawn.

A perfect excuse to buy another :wh:

Edited by Gregor

kpinnc

I'm thinking Chip needs to put up some pictures. I for one, need motivation!

I have some of the correct key stock if you can't find it. I have a stainless sleeve on one of my tractors too. You only need about a 3/4 inch peice of key stock. The sleeve should be very tight. I had to use a mallet just to get mine onto the shaft. 

Gregor
15 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

I had to use a mallet just to get mine onto the shaft. 

I also have one of those sleeves, and it is VERY tight. I was afraid to hammer it on.