Ron S

701 Throttle Cable

Ron S

I put this on the end of a different thread but then realized it was ended in 2014 (I'm new here forgive me for duplicate)

I just got this 701 and I ordered a dash fro Glen Petit (perfect)

I think the choke, ammeter, key and starter are fairly correct but throttle cable is obviously wrong. Can someone point me to a place to purchase the correct one? Was it a locking cable?

Thanks,

Ron

wheel horse dash.jpg

Wheelhorse.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Achto
51 minutes ago, Ron S said:

Can someone point me to a place to purchase the correct one? Was it a locking cable?

Check :techie-ebay:for Willys Jeep throttle cables. You will find them in Army green and black so pay attention to that. Some times you will find locking ones but not all the time.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ron S

Thanks, was the original locking type?

Achto
1 hour ago, Ron S said:

Thanks, was the original locking type?

I don't believe so, but I could be wrong.

Handy Don
1 hour ago, Achto said:

I don't believe so, but I could be wrong.

I thought it depended on the year, but I could be wrong, too! B)

• Like 1

wallfish

:WRS:

You can probably get a correct shifter knob and front wheel bearing covers from Glen too if you're wanting full on originality. Typically those small things don't really effect the value but I get it with going as much as original as possible once you get that far. Nice tractor!

I think they were locking because the vibration will usually close the throttle

Ron S

Thanks everyone, I guess what wallfish is saying is that my shifter knob is wrong and bearing covers are missing:(. This is my first wheelhorse in a fairly wide tractor collection. I bumped into it when I went to buy a motor for my IH 782. I am just learning about WH. I will email Glen but I also understand he is retiring. Anything else anyone sees wrong in the picture I would love to know. I am ordering knurled thumbscrews for the hood to replace the stainless hex  hardware the last owner put in.

Thanks again,

Ron

• Excellent 1

wallfish
1 hour ago, Ron S said:

This is my first wheelhorse in a fairly wide tractor collection

There's a non-wheel horse section to post pics of your collection in. Just say'n. Many here collect or are still interested in other brands too so...

That's a nice find for the first one! Correct foot rests and the unique double belt guard isn't missing.

The steering on those aren't the greatest or the tightest radius. Going through every steering component and replacing or tightening things up can help make a difference.

• Like 1

Ron S

Thanks, I am going through it now, trying to identify what it needs. Seems like a great little tractor. I'll look at the non WH site.

Thanks,

Ron

Achto
14 hours ago, Ron S said:

I will email Glen but I also understand he is retiring.

Glenn announced that https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/  will be picking up is business. It's not final yet but Lowell should be making the plastic replacement parts soon. 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Glad to finally hear this confirmed.  :greetings-clapyellow:

The hobby needs Glens stuff.

• Like 2

Ron S

BTW what is the correct shift knob, anybody got a picture?

Thanks!

wallfish
44 minutes ago, Ron S said:

BTW what is the correct shift knob, anybody got a picture?

Thanks!

On the main page ( click on the big REDSQUARE banner) then scroll down through the different sections to the picture gallery.

Here's what's in there for pics of 701. It's the small round knob common to all in that era. You can add yours in there as well