Sign in to follow this  
Chris1055

K301 magneto Stator help

Chris1055

Hi. 
im currently working on a charger 12 with a battery magneto setup. Magneto was bad and decided just to go with a coil. Runs fine. Than I tore the tractor apart for restoration and I never checked to see if the old style stator will charge with the coil setup. Any info would be great. 62049DB5-4B0B-47D2-8E15-3C9C1616B51C.jpeg.89c9e79a6c1a9c58a0cea8c6a42280f8.jpeg

pfrederi

Charger/Electros of that vintage had 10 amp systems with any of the ignition systems they used in that series...Battery/Coil, Breakerless or Magneto/points....

Chris1055

So if I wire it back up with the coil setup. The stator will still produce 18 volts even though I’m not using the magneto? Didn’t know if I needed a different stator now that I’m using a coil 

Edited by Chris1055

pfrederi

The stator should kick out 30+volts AC which your regulator should convert to about 10 amps of 12v DC. The magneto coil (big black thing) was not involved in generating electricity for the charging system.  The other small coils on the stator do it.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

Chris1055

Thanks bud. You guys are always there to help and I greatly appreciate it!! 

• Like 1

Chris1055

And one more question when I reinstall the stator can I just eliminate the mag? Or clip the wires and leave it on? 

pfrederi

I have never had a mag fail.  When the breakerless fail I just cap the ignition output wire from the stator. I do not see why leaving mag in place would be an issue....But i am not an expert in mags...