JimSraj

K301 piston

JimSraj

I noticed a ‘B’ stamped in the top of the piston and top of the cylinder on the K301 I’ve been working on. 

Can anyone tell me what that means?

953 nut

:confusion-confused:        The engine was probably apart in a shop that had multiple engines being worked on and they stamped the parts so they went back on the same engine.

• Like 2

Fordiesel69

It is a Style "B" piston.

• Like 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, Fordiesel69 said:

It is a Style "B" piston.

image.jpeg.de45e87bbcd6f15638ee13e6e77faf7a.jpeg   Please tell us more about this Style B piston for a K-301, never heard about it but eager to learn.

JimSraj

Yes, I called Kohler and that’s what the Kohler rep told me on the phone. She didn’t elaborate and I couldn’t find out how a B piston is different from others. I will have to call again. I’ll post whatever I find out. 

squonk

On the Courage engines, the B style piston uses a different style ring and pin boss. B is referred to Mahle forged piston

upload_2020-12-11_12-5-57-jpeg.65619  upload_2020-12-11_12-6-31-jpeg.65621

pistassy.gif.c714e87398edf0384541a8217981526b.gif

mahle.gif.b98d023620789058c61f171afe11c509.gif

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

953 nut
10 hours ago, JimSraj said:

Yes, I called Kohler and that’s what the Kohler rep told me on the phone. She didn’t elaborate and I couldn’t find out how a B piston is different from others. I will have to call again. I’ll post whatever I find out. 

That wouldn't explain the "B" stamped on the engine block.

Fordiesel69

I need to retract my statement of a style "B" piston.  I had the engine series mixed up.  K- Series used Style A, Style C, and Style D.  You will find more style "A" in wheel horse k series, and you will find a good mix of "A" and "D" in wheel horse Magnum series. 

JimSraj

After giving him the Spec # and serial number the Kohler tech rep could not find any reference to a ‘B’ stamp in the top of an original piston in any Kohler K series engine. We discussed Mahle pistons as well but he could not confirm that’s what it designates although he did say the Kohler used Mahle pistons from the 1970s up until the 1990s. 

So looks like bottom line is it really has no significance to the ordering of a replacement. 

The photo didn’t get the ‘B’ in the piston top but it’s just like the one that’s visible. 

DFB47FEF-1A5B-416D-BB74-3843188C6F03.jpeg

JimSraj

So it is visible.