"Manic-Mechanic"

Mechanical Fuel Pump/Vacuum Fuel Pump

"Manic-Mechanic"

Hello,

finally made use of a fuel pump plate & nipple of an old K241. 

Grew tired of the old diaphragm going bad , leaking fuel into the sump, draining the oil, etc.

Then after rebuilding several only to have them fail some other way, time to change it out! 

Plate & Nipple.jpg

Just removed the Shroud bolt aside the Choke/Throttle Linkage and fit just nice & tight.

Vacuum Pump M12.jpg

The bracket was too simple! A straight piece of slotted steel to accommodate 1/4-20 Carriage Bolts. 

I harvested the Pulse Pump off a Briggs Intek 17hp, however, many manufactures use these, as does Kohler.

Bracket.jpg

A piece of hose protector around the line as it circled under the bracket back to the vacuum nipple.

The pre-formed double 90 rubber fuel line and protector loom came with a Briggs Carburetor Kit for my Ariens Snow Thrower

Side View Pump.jpg

No more stalling going into full throttle.

No more hard starts.

The new Carburetor from I Save Tractors, still in the box....

Edited by "Manic-Mechanic"
Description per picture.
  • Like 6
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

I should do that instead of trying to stay original. Little  easier than going electric on some models I think. 

• Like 1

peter lena

@Manicmacanic , looks like a good swap out to me , that is a nagging issue that needed  a solid ,simple change over , THE REPITITION OF A PROBLEM IS YOUR GREATEST OPPORTUNITY , TO MAKE THAT PROBLEM GO AWAY ,  GOOD JOB , PETE 

• Thanks 1

Bill D

I've been doing this for the last two years now.  Works great.  I make the mounting plates using stainless steel so I don't have to paint them.

KIMG1106.JPG

KIMG0868.JPG

Edited by Bill D
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

lynnmor

Can the diaphragm on the new pump break and allow gasoline to enter the pulse hose?

• Like 1

Bill D
7 hours ago, lynnmor said:

Can the diaphragm on the new pump break and allow gasoline to enter the pulse hose?

Yes. Still a risk.  Still a better pump in my opinion.

• Like 1

"Manic-Mechanic"
On 8/30/2021 at 8:23 AM, WHX?? said:

I should do that instead of trying to stay original. Little  easier than going electric on some models I think. 

A lot less money involved too!

• Like 1

"Manic-Mechanic"
On 8/30/2021 at 4:04 PM, lynnmor said:

I have yet to find out, hopefully not!

"Manic-Mechanic"
On 8/30/2021 at 11:47 AM, Bill D said:

I've been doing this for the last two years now.  Works great.  I make the mounting plates using stainless steel so I don't have to paint them.

KIMG1106.JPG

KIMG0868.JPG

I like that set up, nice and tight, and yes, no paint! I see the elbow too, I know I have one of those somewhere!

Edited by "Manic-Mechanic"

WHX??
1 hour ago, "Manic-Mechanic" said:

A lot less money involved too!

I know Manic on my '60's and even later tractors tho ther is always driving me to stay orginal. .. I have no idea why. I do have a few that I converted ...mostly go to workers ... 

"Manic-Mechanic"
15 hours ago, WHX?? said:

I know Manic on my '60's and even later tractors tho ther is always driving me to stay original. .. I have no idea why. I do have a few that I converted ...mostly go to workers ... 

Yes, I too keep the earlier machines original, the 65'1045 with K241 had the mechanical with pump assist and the spark advance on the cam instead of compression release.