6wheeler

Toro Groundsmaster help

6wheeler

Hi all. I have a problem that maybe you all can help. My Toro Groundsmaster needs a carburetor. Or? At least a kit. The problem is? There is no tag on the carb. It should be on a tag on a bowl screw. Not. It is the Continental engine with a Solex down draft single barrel. The Model# is 30778 on the machine. Unfortunately I cannot find a part# on the parts viewer.  My service manual just says it is a Solex and how to adjust it. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Pat

20210829_154322.jpg

20210829_154116.jpg

20210829_154044.jpg

gwest_ca

What is the serial number for the 30778? 7xxxx or 8xxxx

Looks like the engine came with the carb so part numbers not listed.

Do you have the Toro service manual?

Garry

6wheeler

Serial # 80877 . Garry, It is the Toro service manual that I have. It gives all the info. Just? No numbers. Thanks

gwest_ca

This parts list starts on page 20 for the engine.

Shows a distributor closure and carburetor closer. Those sound like plugs to close the holes. Odd there is no distributor or carb listed anywhere.

Next page shows the engine numbers at the end of the list.

I recall D-250 owners getting parts from Continental engines years ago. I think Continental used different engine manufactures to supply industrial applications such as Hercules, Chrysler and Renault.

With an engine model number they may know exactly what you need.

6wheeler

Well? I found more info on the carb. It is a Solex BTE SDGD. Unfortunately, it does not have a kit. I can have rebuilt. For $550.00. So? I did the right thing and took it apart. I cleaned it. The accelerator pump was leaking like a screen door in a submarine. So? I took some right stuff silicone (which, incidentally IMO is the best) and created a light silicone skin over the inner and outer surface. Right Stuff is impervious to gasoline. Put it back in. Also a light coat on the old top gasket. And? Voila! No leaks. It is running quite well now. The PO had the governor completely set all wrong. I readjusted it to spec. I readjusted the air mixture screw. And? Now it starts and idles like it should. I am going to set up the valves next. It will finish the season. But? Since she goes through more oil than OPEC? I see a repower coming in ts future.😁😁😁