AHS

Kohler 16 Magnum

AHS

Ok,  so the M16 was on a Massey Ferguson….. wrong motor.. as is was supposed to be an Onan 20hp.  And, the M16 had a Wheelhorse red clutch on it!! Well, I traded the M16 for about 3 hours worth of work!! It’s going back on a Wheelhorse😀!!! 

SO… Now for the bad part… the motor has been sitting outside with no air filter on it. That means just carburetor + rain = rust on the inside of the motor. I know, I know! It turns over smooth. First thing I’m going to do is drain the oil and see how much water is in it, and I’m going to remove the head, and see how it is in there; along with a new head gasket.  The motor is covered up by a tarp at this point! The motor will be used for snowblowing, (I’m sure!) and other things. The snowblower is gonna put the biggest tax on it!!

Any other known problems with the M16? As you can tell I’m excited to get into the build!!😀

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

I would remove all the engine tins, bound to be some critters nesting in there under the tarp.   :angry-tappingfoot:    Do this before you bring it in the shop so the critters don't have a nice new home. Check for spark, sand the rust off the flywheel and magnets. Block off the fuel pump opening and get an electric fuel pump.

• Like 3

kpinnc

Yes- there are issues with 16hp Kohlers. Well known and documented.

...they are loud, and cause unusual feelings for the operator similar to what a skydiver feels on the first jump. They have also been known to induce feelings of jealousy from any bystander.

But otherwise no problems at all. Keep them clean and full of oil, and enjoy the power. Magnums have all the benefits of the K series, but none of the complicated coil and points ignition. Not hating on K series, but if a Magnum turns over, it will usually crank and run. BULLETPROOF!

14 minutes ago, AHS said:

Any other known problems with the M16? As you can tell I’m excited to get into the build!!😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

AHS
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

I would remove all the engine tins, bound to be some critters nesting in there under the tarp.   :angry-tappingfoot:    Do this before you bring it in the shop so the critters don't have a nice new home. Check for spark, sand the rust off the flywheel and magnets. Block off the fuel pump opening and get an electric fuel pump.

Get an electric pump… I have heard you and one other man. What should the psi be set at? I’m using a primer on my 414-8 and it is much easier on the starter! Do or don’t use a primer with an electric fuel pump?

pfrederi

I use Facet Posiflo pumps (made in USA) I have some with 4psi  one with 2 psi.  All have worked just fine for a long time.  (I would stay at 4psi or below...)

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Oldskool

@AHS good to hear you are working  on a Horse. You can't go wrong with those Magnums. I have one on my GT14. They are great engines. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
On 8/28/2021 at 7:31 AM, kpinnc said:

Yes- there are issues with 16hp Kohlers. Well known and documented.

...they are loud, and cause unusual feelings for the operator similar to what a skydiver feels on the first jump. They have also been known to induce feelings of jealousy from any bystander

This is the truth. 

I've have had first hand experience with the "non 16 owner" showing much interest in the Cinnamon Horse C160 multiple times. 

Yes it's a beast. 

Yes I like it. 

Yes you can drive it if you're feeling spunky. 

No you can't have it 😜

@AHS congrats Andrew. That'll be a great worker for you. 

• Haha 1

Fordiesel69

The M16 will literally carve out the throttle shaft hole in the carburetor to a point you will 1/4 slop. Make sure to re-bush it if it is loose.

Also the crankpin will wear more on the 16HP vs the 12HP.  So keep the oil changed frequently.  Its not the oil quality its the fine micro particles that wears them down.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

AHS
19 hours ago, Fordiesel69 said:

The M16 will literally carve out the throttle shaft hole in the carburetor to a point you will 1/4 slop. Make sure to re-bush it if it is loose.

Also the crankpin will wear more on the 16HP vs the 12HP.  So keep the oil changed frequently.  Its not the oil quality its the fine micro particles that wears them down.

I have heard change it every 25 hours? 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, AHS said:

I have heard change it every 25 hours? 

On the older Kohler engines that do not have a pressurized oil system or filter you should consider 25 hours to be a maximum interval.

• Like 1

AHS

The M16 is home! I have changed the oil and there is no water in there! No begin un tinning the motor! 

9E2B4518-C273-4A01-8609-E43B9F7FAC6B.jpeg

• Excellent 3

ebinmaine

Does the carburetor and throttle linkage move freely? Any excessive wear in the throttle as it turns?

AHS
18 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Does the carburetor and throttle linkage move freely? Any excessive wear in the throttle as it turns?

I moved the throttle, and a smidge. 
At first, I moved the throttle and “no, there was no play”, and the I began to feel just the slightest bit. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Here's a video that shows exactly what to look for at the top and bottom of the shaft. Might not be your exact carburetor but it will give you an idea anyway.

Fordiesel69

25 hrs is about the max.  Again it makes no difference how expensive the oil is, you cannot extend out the drain interval as there is no filter and no pressurized lubrication. Also these should have mid to high throttle when cold to allow the dipper to really splash the oil.  You want to avoid a cold idle for warm up.  

Awsome motors, but they are big time drinkers......The gas will exit the muffler about as fast as you can fill the tank.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Fordiesel69 said:

these should have mid to high throttle when cold to allow the dipper to really splash the oil.  You want to avoid a cold idle for warm up

I'd even take that a step further...

I've been told and read a bunch that ANY air cooled engine should NEVER be at idle except just before shutting it down. 

I've always run mine at or above 1/2 throttle all the time. 

• Like 1

AHS
18 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I'd even take that a step further...

I've been told and read a bunch that ANY air cooled engine should NEVER be at idle except just before shutting it down. 

I've always run mine at or above 1/2 throttle all the time. 

I always start mine up at half throttle… as much as it doesn’t seem to like it when it zero degrees out!! 

• Like 1

ebinmaine

My 16 horse I start at full throttle no matter what the temperature. As soon as it's running on its own I knock it back to about half or a little more. Most of the year that's only about a second of runtime.

During the winter it's quite often not able to run less than 3/4 throttle for at least a minute or two. 

That engine is cold-blooded and somewhat temperamental and has been since the day I got it. Two separate carburetors. Both been rebuilt.

• Excellent 1

richmondred01

M16 is my favorite of Kohler line. 
Good luck. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1