Bertie

D160 hydro and speed?

Bertie

On average my 1974, D160 with a kohler k341 engine on full throttle is averaging 9.6 kph (6 mph) on flat ground, uphill or downhill. What kph were they when new... anyone know please?

Skipper

7.5 from new. Perhaps an adjustment of the camplate would be in order?

pfrederi

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

7.5 from new. Perhaps an adjustment of the camplate would be in order?

GT-14 at 7.5 and Chargers at 7. are3 about fastest WHs..  Where did you find the 7.5 for D200??  MY manuals didn't show top speed.

Skipper

tractordata.com

Yes I know, not the most reliable site, but sounds about right imo. Only tried 1 D series, and that was noticeably faster than a normal horse.

The 195 is also fast out of the box, though only listed as 6.3, and considering the similar tire size to the D series, then yeah, I doesn't sound too wrong :-)

Also considering the 520HC at 6,5 I would say the D is faster than that. But then again, I could be wrong. It has happened before.

Edited by Skipper

Bertie

Thanks guys its certainly quicker than any other wh I own or have ridden, I will change the settings on the app tomorrow to read kph from mph and check again... ps: it's on factory 15" rear rims

20210825_214110.jpg

Edited by Bertie

Bertie
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

GT-14 at 7.5 and Chargers at 7. are3 about fastest WHs..  Where did you find the 7.5 for D200??  MY manuals didn't show top speed.

Its certainly quicker than my GT14..

gwest_ca

From the 1978-79 B, C and D-Series service manual1978-79 C and D-Series ground speeds SS.jpg

• Like 1

Bertie
14 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

From the 1978-79 B, C and D-Series service manual1978-79 C and D-Series ground speeds SS.jpg

Thanks for this, cant believe it's still strong at 47 years old 👍

8ntruck

The C 195 I picked up last weekend is slow going forward.  Seems about the same as 1st gear high range in my 14-8 no name.  I discovered that the C 195 was faster in reverse today - as I was backing up to the shed to park it.

Got to pull the covers and see how much crud is in the control linkages.

aemsee

I grew up in the 70's mowing with my Dad's D160. I remember being incredibly fast compared to friend's Dads mowers (not that we raced them, lol). Also realized that going from reverse to full forward would pull the front wheels. Eventually I destroyed the bushings in the steering mechanism. Stupid kid.

gwest_ca

C-195 ground speed.jpg