Sign in to follow this  
mudrunner

Engines

mudrunner

Hi there, I have a 516H with the Onan performer. I have had to remove and clean the carb. every year to keep it running smooth but now that doesn't seem to help. I have replaced the plugs again and the wire to the front cyl. because the plug in the front is always wet and does not appear to be firing. Also, the battery is not charging and the ampmeter doesn't seem to move much past the yellow into the green. I tried to take the flywheel off to check the stator (?) but I didn't have much luck with that and I didn't want to do any damage. I was thinking these problems might be related to the mag. any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks :thumbs2:

520HC

Stators are usually the last thing to go on a charging system.Check your reg/rectifier. It is the rectagular shaped box that the stator wires hook to.Sits on the engine shroud.As far as the wet plug, I would check your compression on both cylinders.Take both plugs out ,choke off,throttle wide open, see what they read.If low or differ from one to other you may have a valve problem.Reading should be from 85 to 110 or so.Hope this helps.

jtmoyer

i had a 520 where the front plug wire got wet and rusted till it would not fire. i would take the dremel with the grinding wheel and that would take the rust out so it would work, till it would rust up again. that grinding wheel was the only think i ever found that fit.

mudrunner

Hello, I can remove the front spark plug with no change. Ampmeter is reading low (11)

and compresion is 120 on both sides. I am not sure if the Vol. Reg. is the small terminal on the motor in front of the battery but if it is, the 2 two white wires (stator)(?) are both reading 12.5V. Is it possible for one side of the coil to be shot?

mudrunner

Checked coil OHM readings were fine switched cables at the coil, no change (still runs)

I am at a loss. Any ideas ???? :thumbs2:

mudrunner

Pulled flywheel and cleaned coil, stator, wires,connectors and rechecked compression with a better tester. Seems to be running a little better but compression is around 70 on both sides. I guess I better plan on a rebuild in the fall.

bitten

mudrunner, hope you get it all taken care of. I have no experance with the onan so I cant help you there.

P.J.

nylyon

See this thread check the type of plug you are using. The OEM plug for my 1994 416-H was different than the suggested replacement plug. When I changed plugs, I had gone with the suggested replacement and the machine just didn't run properly. I then switched back to the OEM type and it has been running fine since then.

Can't really help with the charging, sounds like you have a handle on that one.