Butterscotch1054

5047 transmission locked in gear (again) and shifter broke.

Butterscotch1054

Hey everyone, I've got a 1054 and when i initially purchased ut the transmission was locked in gear. I got it unstuck by rocking it and moving the shifter. It was working fine, and now, i went to move it and its stuck in reverse 😡 this time the shift lever popped out the transmission trying to free her up. Any suggestions or anyone have photos or how to's when it comes to tearing down a 5047 transmission? I searched on forun to no avail. 

• Sad 1

rmaynard

Just take a look in the Transmissions section and Manuals section of this forum. Everything you need should be there.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Actually, the #5047 tears down the same as any 3 speed...like the #5025.  The difference is the 5047 has 1 1/8" axles and the bevel-gear differential.  Section II of this manual.

This thread will help also.

Did your shifter actually break, if so...where at on your shifter.  did the doughnut come out??

• Like 1

Pullstart
8 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Did your shifter actually break, if so...where at on your shifter.  did the doughnut come out??

Steve, can 953’s and 1054’s get stuck in two gears like the early unidrive, or do they have the grooved shift rails and longer detent rods?

Edited by pullstart

953 nut
22 hours ago, Butterscotch1054 said:

Any suggestions or anyone have photos or how to's when it comes to tearing down a 5047 transmission?

As @stevasaurus said, this is basically the same transmission as any other three speed :wh:. The big difference is the located under the fuel tank and you can't take a look inside without removing the transmission.

10 hours ago, pullstart said:

can 953’s and 1054’s get stuck in two gears like the early unidrive, or do they have the grooved shift rails

:(            Like all early :wh: transmissions the 953/1054 had round shift rails. I have always used SAE 40 Motor oil in them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@Butterscotch1054 , just curious , never mentioned , how thorough has your transmission fluid flushing been ? my recovery on used tractors  has been neglect and abuse, so I approach a problem area , differently , at least a couple of fuel oil or  atf  fluid refills and lots of road time , so i can drive and heat up that trans , use every gear and range , especially reverse . as things start to loosen up and actually function , its coming back . jack up tractor for a thorough drain /flush . only change over to 80-90 gear oil , when your drainage is milky / moisture free. would also refill it back thru the shifter opening , done this thorough , steady recovery on a few of these ,  they all shift easily without effort , also detail the lubrication and function of your clutch pedal set up , no rust , just grease , fresh return spring , idler pulley replaced and regreased , should work without effort  , no jumping starts , just my experience , pete

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I re-read your 1st post.  Yesterday, I assumed you had locked up your transmission between 2 gears...like when you bought it.  Today, I think I am reading  that your shifter broke and you are just stuck in reverse...not between 2 gears.???

The question still remains, where abouts did the shifter break??  What is left stuck in the transmission??  :confusion-confused:

• Like 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

question still remains, where abouts did the shifter break??  What is left stuck in the transmission??

Doesn't matter too much at this point. On the 953/1054 you can't get at the shift lever without removing the transmission anyway.

11 hours ago, peter lena said:

only change over to 80-90 gear oil

SAE 40 is called for on the older transaxles where the shift rails are round.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Butterscotch1054
On 8/25/2021 at 11:04 AM, stevasaurus said:

I re-read your 1st post.  Yesterday, I assumed you had locked up your transmission between 2 gears...like when you bought it.  Today, I think I am reading  that your shifter broke and you are just stuck in reverse...not between 2 gears.???

The question still remains, where abouts did the shifter break??  What is left stuck in the transmission??  :confusion-confused:

I've had a busy few weeks. But, it popped out of the transmission entirely and it is indeed stuck in reverse. I purchased a 2nd 1054 and it had the sifter already popped out. I got it in, it shifted smooth. But then- same problem! Except, I'm not sure if that ones jammed or stuck in a gear, waiting on a tube for rear tire so I can drive it. (If I can get it un stuck) 

stevasaurus

So, if you could get the shifter back in, you would be able to shift it??  If so, you are not stuck in reverse...you just happened to be in reverse when the shifter pulled out??  :dunno:

Butterscotch1054
10 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

So, if you could get the shifter back in, you would be able to shift it??  If so, you are not stuck in reverse...you just happened to be in reverse when the shifter pulled out??  :dunno:

It was stuck in reverse. Then, in trying to rock tractor while moving shifter as I did when I initially bought it to get it out of gear, the shifter popped out. However,  today,  I put shifter back in place, and tried again and low and behold it's free again and shifts! Both of the 1054's I have that were stuck came out of ssssaid stuck gear today. Idk how or why, these old machines have their own sort of personalities I swear 😂

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Were you able to set the set screw and lock nut in place.??  It is possible to get this trans stuck between two gears, it is about the suction created with the shift rails if you try to shift to fast without coming to a complete stop before shifting.  It is usually between 2nd & 3rd and reverse.  Yes, I have been able to rock the horse and the shift rail would go back to where it should, but usually, I have to pull the shifter and re-align the shift forks.  It is very important that you take your time shifting and shift in a "Straight H" pattern.  This is not a Herse Shifter.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

Butterscotch1054

Weirdest thing was the last time it randomly stuck! I had rolled it out of the garage over to my truck to to jump start the Horse (I dont have a battery yet) and then I applied the parking brake, never taking it out of neutral! It was idling as I was tuning the carb, then I got on it, went to move it and drive around and she was stuck in reverse somehow! I'd never shift while in motion,  I'm very careful shifting all my old tractors. I always stop completely apply the clutch THEN shift I figure I wouldn't want to cause any unnecessary wear on these already pretty well tired Horses! 

• Excellent 1