pfrederi

How to get wider throtle response on K181

pfrederi

Out of all 20 some horses i have only 2 with k181.  Neither one has much range for throttle response.  A small movement of the the T knob makes a big change in RPM.  I have seen some that have an arm on the throttle disc.  Mine don't have that.  Does that arm allow a bit more throttle range???   Worth trying to buy one???

IMG_0219 (2).JPG

Edited by pfrederi

Maxwell-8

try moving this bar to the lower hole

image.png.344864f4fd23653a165d003a5d1a74d0.png

29 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Out of all 20 some horses i have only 2 with k181.  Neither one has much range for throttle response.  A small movement of the the T knob makes a big change in RPM.  I have seen some that have an arm on the throttle disc.  Mine don't have that.  Does that arm allow a bit more throttle range???   Worth trying to buy one???

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Seems to me Trina's Pigpen 867 does have the arm. 

I believe she has a fair 3/4" or more of travel in the throttle cable/pull knob from idle to redline. 

I can double check tomorrow evening and also dump out a couple parts boxes to see if I have an arm. 

I s'pose one could fab one up and weld or braze it in place given decent measurements. 

The longer the arm on that pivot point is the more pull length you'd have. 

Worth it?

I'd say so.  

• Like 1

Racinbob

I've had the same issue with several K-181's. I've tried several things but most didn't work and some even caused the governor to operate erratically. I finally came up with this modification.

1531429080_ThrottleModification.jpg.8c3050060b29d74562da586d6265a3f9.jpg

There may be a better or more correct way to do it but it works great. :)

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi
50 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

I've had the same issue with several K-181's. I've tried several things but most didn't work and some even caused the governor to operate erratically. I finally came up with this modification.

1531429080_ThrottleModification.jpg.8c3050060b29d74562da586d6265a3f9.jpg

There may be a better or more correct way to do it but it works great. :)

Great iidea....Is that arm welded on or small bolt?

squonk

Are we talking a throttle that's hard to pull and it's either at idle or full throttle and not much in between? My 857 is like that. Replacing the cable did nothing. My cable comes in from the top as opposed to the bottom.1086257430_857throttle003.JPG.e7dddc69d644df887ae37d0dae26fcbf.JPG

1489252644_857throttle004.JPG.9d36377f8be519a12a63eff842988ae3.JPG

Racinbob
52 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Great iidea....Is that arm welded on or small bolt?

Bolted. There's actually two bolts. I tapped the holes in the round thingy. They needed to be ground flat on the back side for clearance. I don't see why welding wouldn't work though. :)

• Like 2

pfrederi
4 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

Bolted. There's actually two bolts. I tapped the holes in the round thingy. They needed to be ground flat on the back side for clearance. I don't see why welding wouldn't work though. :)

Thank you!~!

• Like 1

pfrederi
12 minutes ago, squonk said:

Are we talking a throttle that's hard to pull and it's either at idle or full throttle and not much in between? My 857 is like that. Replacing the cable did nothing. My cable comes in from the top as opposed to the bottom.

Very small movement in the T knob gets you from idle to full throttle...  You seem to have the small extension arm that i do not have...

• Like 1

squonk
3 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Very small movement in the T knob gets you from idle to full throttle...  You seem to have the small extension arm that i do not have...

Yup same thing I have.