Dakota W.

Transmission fluid rusty

Dakota W.

I pulled the dipstick on my newly aquired 310--8 I noticed the fluid had a rusty color to it... I'm gonna change it and put new fluid in it what should I put In it for fluid and is there a way to flush it thank!

Maxwell-8

@Dakota W. some use diesel to flush, I use cheap 80w90, and change it out a couple times.

peter lena

@Dakota W.  glad you checked that !  diesel  fuel , atf , kerosene , use that as your flushing agent , there is an Allen plug in the bottom edge of your trans, look carefully , usually packed with mud or crud. use a small flat screwdriver to dig it out . also raise the front end to increase drainage. buy a new shift boot, cut it off with a razor blade , use dielectric grease on the shifter shaft for slide on easy fit. you might have to do this a couple of times , do you have a near buy cul-de-sac for road driving ? great place to flush around your cleaning fluid, use every gear and range , picture a flushing waterfall of oil cleaning out your trans. any new 80-90 gear oil will work . notice the color change in the flush , that's the moisture in there , once you get a good clean , keep an eye on it , I  regularly check mine . put a can of carb cleaner in the gas tank and some STA BIL  fuel treatment in there too , to start deep cleaning your fuel system on your driving time. glad to have you on board , anything else just ask , pete

Dakota W.

How much. Diesel should I put in?

WheelHorse520H

3 minutes ago, Dakota W. said:

How much. Diesel should I put in?

I am not sure about that but:text-welcomewave: to:rs:

Dakota W.
1 hour ago, peter lena said:

@Dakota W.  glad you checked that !  diesel  fuel , atf , kerosene , use that as your flushing agent , there is an Allen plug in the bottom edge of your trans, look carefully , usually packed with mud or crud. use a small flat screwdriver to dig it out . also raise the front end to increase drainage. buy a new shift boot, cut it off with a razor blade , use dielectric grease on the shifter shaft for slide on easy fit. you might have to do this a couple of times , do you have a near buy cul-de-sac for road driving ? great place to flush around your cleaning fluid, use every gear and range , picture a flushing waterfall of oil cleaning out your trans. any new 80-90 gear oil will work . notice the color change in the flush , that's the moisture in there , once you get a good clean , keep an eye on it , I  regularly check mine . put a can of carb cleaner in the gas tank and some STA BIL  fuel treatment in there too , to start deep cleaning your fuel system on your driving time. glad to have you on board , anything else just ask , pete

How much diesel should I put in it?

ebinmaine
32 minutes ago, Dakota W. said:

How much diesel should I put in it?

About 2 qts. 

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1