Chuck14025

520H Adjust Control Lever Friction Adjustment 1983?

Chuck14025

I need to hold the control forward to keep full speed ahead. How do I adjust the "control lever Friction adjustment". The manual says "approximately 6 pounds pull". That's no help. 

I'm not able to find the "Repair" manual.

1 dozen donuts to the first one with the correct answers.

lynnmor

Adjust the nut under the seat, see the Owners Manual page 15.  The 520H wasn't made in 1983.  That friction device should not be lubricated, if it is disassemble and clean it with parts cleaner.  Where do I get the donuts?

• Haha 5

squonk

I'll take 2 plain Old-Fashioned please! :)

You need to check the surface of the linkage cam where the plate rides. The plate wears a groove in the cam and it will throw off the adjustment. Look at the cam where the longer slotted hole rides under the funky looking nut..

8FCA59E0-F926-43D8-80FF-1C3912896006.jpeg

Ed Kennell

The first year for a 520H was 1988.   The '88s and '89s had the motion control on the console. The 1989 and newer are on the steering column.

I'll take an apple fritter if Lynn and Mike don't eat em all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chuck14025

"Adjust the nut under the seat".  Adjust it how? My owner's manual doesn't say how. Do I tighten it or loosen it?  The manual calls for 6 pounds pull; pull on what? Is the manual referencing 'pull' on the shift control lever? If so, that is not the problem and adjusting the 'nut', is not the solution.      The problem is that the machine does not go forward at full speed unless I hold the shift control lever forward. Could it be a linkage that needs adjusting?

Darb1964

You may need to adjust the break.

lynnmor
8 hours ago, Chuck14025 said:

"Adjust the nut under the seat".  Adjust it how? My owner's manual doesn't say how. Do I tighten it or loosen it?  The manual calls for 6 pounds pull; pull on what? Is the manual referencing 'pull' on the shift control lever? If so, that is not the problem and adjusting the 'nut', is not the solution.      The problem is that the machine does not go forward at full speed unless I hold the shift control lever forward. Could it be a linkage that needs adjusting?

Turn the nut till it works.

oldlineman

you need to tighten the nut with the large washer clockwise ,won't take much, tighten till the control handle stays put. Do not lubricate that area! Bob

WHX??

This one here Chuck in red. The one in white adjusts the forward reverse travel and adjustment is in the manual also. 

I like to take the assembly off and clean it well. 

8FCA59E0-F926-43D8-80FF-1C3912896006.jpeg.1b791255c15fed5ec7cc3d1f53a497da.jpeg

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 2

squonk
32 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

This one here Chuck in red. The one in white adjusts the forward reverse travel and adjustment is in the manual also. 

I like to take the assembly off and clean it well. 

8FCA59E0-F926-43D8-80FF-1C3912896006.jpeg.1b791255c15fed5ec7cc3d1f53a497da.jpeg

And make sure the cam isn't worn! :)

Chuck14025

Ok, I'll try the nut in 'red'.  I have the manual but it does not say what does what? Once I figure out the adjustment, I'll take it apart and clean it up. 

Chuck14025

Thanks for the help guys. I adjusted the nut in red just a touch clockwise and that has helped some. I have the owner's manual that fits the machine but the manual does NOT say what nut does what or HOW to adjust them. The owner's manual is not a SERVICE manual. If there is a service manual can anyone tell me how to find one.   '94 520H. 

Chuck14025

x

Handy Don

The details on the transmission are in the Eaton 11 SM.

• Like 2

Chuck14025

Thank you very much Don. You get doughnuts. The transmission MANUAL is a major help. I had no idea of how to get it.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

lynnmor

Please don't turn that nut under the seat, since I am out of the running in the donut chase.

Handy Don
11 hours ago, lynnmor said:

Please don't turn that nut under the seat, since I am out of the running in the donut chase.

Did you mean the nut in the seat? :lol:

I'll gladly share the donuts at the Big Show next year.

lynnmor
2 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Did you mean the nut in the seat? :lol:

I'll gladly share the donuts at the Big Show next year.

Hopefully he will have the entire transmission rebuilt by then.  :angelic-halo:

tom2p

did someone say donuts ?

white flour - sugar - deep fried ... does not get much better 

coffee and a donut - breakfast of champions !

• Like 1

Handy Don
4 hours ago, tom2p said:

coffee and a donut - breakfast of champions !

Agreed.

I have become partial to a poppy seed NY-style bagel, lightly toasted with butter, as a close second!

tom2p
12 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Agreed.

I have become partial to a poppy seed NY-style bagel, lightly toasted with butter, as a close second!

ahhh - agree !

have not had a good bagel in a while ... used to get good bagels at Au Bon Pain and Bruegger's  - but have not been to one in a while ... might need to wait until my next visit to NYC

Handy Don
9 hours ago, tom2p said:

ahhh - agree !

have not had a good bagel in a while ... used to get good bagels at Au Bon Pain and Bruegger's  - but have not been to one in a while ... might need to wait until my next visit to NYC

Boy are we off topic!

I just had a thought that I may offer to import some NY bagels to the Big Show next year!