graywolf1939

Need replacement engine for C1100 WH, 1980

graywolf1939

My B&S model  252417, type 0198-01, Code 79041711 is ready for the happy grass cutting heaven. After 41 years of tough work on a hilly 3 acres, it is really shot. Has anyone replaced this engine with preferably another model B&S ?  I realize that I might have to do some modification to mount the new engine, even cutting away part of the hood, but I love this tractor and at age 82, I want her to outlive me. Thank you in advance for any help,

Dick

• Like 2

953 nut

Probably any vertical shaft engine with the same size crank shaft will work. Call Lincoln at A-Z Tractor, he sells good parts and will ship.  https://a-ztractor.com/

gwest_ca

Suspect this is a 1100 Special with a horizontal crankshaft.

Garry

graywolf1939

Yes it is Garry, 3/4" diameter crank shaft which drives the side PTO pulley

graywolf1939

Richard, the C1100 special has a HORIZONTAL crank shaft which drives the PTO pulley, Vertical shaft will NOT work.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

I believe the crankshaft will be 1" diameter with the pto inner bearing race that uses the same pto assembly as those with 1-1/8" crankshaft.

So with a larger inner race you could use a Kohler with the 1-1/8" crank less the thrust bearing the B&S engines require and the pto you have will fit.

Garry

• Like 1

graywolf1939

Hi Garry, I thought when I checked the specs on the engine model 252417, that the crank shaft was 3/4 " diameter. I have not pulled the PTO pulley off to check with micrometer  to be sure however. I prefer to use a B&S engine, do you have any recommendations on a B&S engine ? I was thinking about the 1150 series.

graywolf1939

Hi Garry, I noticed at a tractor show today, that many of the older Wheel Horse tractors had Kohler Engines. Do you know if WH used both B&S and Kohler engines in their line up of tractors over the years, or , were Kohler engines used as aftermarket replacement engines ?

Wheel Horse Tractors-1.jpg

oliver2-44

Many Wheelhorses used Kohler engines as original from the factory

Snoopy11
On 8/14/2021 at 7:53 PM, graywolf1939 said:

Wheel Horse Tractors-1.jpg

:laughing-rofl:

Don't mind me... I'm just here to copy the flag holders on the front of that horse... 

Found my next project...

Don

• Like 1

Bill D

Find a good used Magnum 12, 14 or 16 engine and swap it in.  Try to get one that is complete with the clutch assembly.  It should bolt right into the frame.  Minor wiring changes may be  needed depending on what type of charging system the engine comes with.  A-Z may have a good used Briggs if you prefer one.  

graywolf1939

Bill, who makes the Magnum, Briggs or Kohler ?

pfrederi

Kohler magnum are really K series engines with and upgraded magneto ignition.  mechanically the are the same engine.

graywolf1939

Will they fit OK with some modifications on the frame of WH C1100 ?.

pfrederi

You may have to do away with the plastic air cleaner cover on the magnum (just use an old k series cover.  Also you will have to fiddle with the choke and throttle controls as the magnum setup is different.  i put a magnum 12 on a C-81  only issues were the cables.  Choke still works backwards...(my anti theft device:P)