Skipper

Differential bolts upgrade

71_Bronco

You had me up to the last part, where you welded the bolts to the case, and machined off the female hex key hole. Not sure I would have gone that route, but then again, you may be a little more knowledgeable in this particular area than I.

Either way, great write up and build. Glad it's back together and working out :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

Skipper
8 minutes ago, 71_Bronco said:

You had me up to the last part, where you welded the bolts to the case, and machined off the female hex key hole. Not sure I would have gone that route, but then again, you may be a little more knowledgeable in this particular area than I.

Either way, great write up and build. Glad it's back together and working out :handgestures-thumbupright:

Yeah, I know that's not for everyone. The Allen heads stick out far when in that size, and needed to be trimmed. Could have sourced a HEX head bolt in stead. Doing the spot weld was to make sure the bolt head would not turn and ruin the gears. I could have soaked the holes in Locktite, but in the interest of being able to take it apart again if needed, I chose that option instead. It is only a little tac, and I am convinced it dosn't go deep into the flange, so I took this route, right or wrong. But I know what you mean, I had hesitations too before doing it. So well aware of the risk, I judged that the peace of mind of knowing it wouldn't be able to move was more important to me.

• Like 2

pacer

You lucked out!! Amazing it didnt blow the bottom of the case out, cause that is the usual result. As the gear is turning with a piece of debris between it and the case -- the case loses and the cast iron will give.

My D180 did that, and I only had ONE nut loose, really messed the case up.

Another comment .... IIRC the earlier D's had 5/16" grade 5 bolts (mine did) and WH fairly early changed them to 3/8", but I think? they were still grade 5. And yours had the 3/8 and was grade 8!! Have seen where a couple guys went to grade 9, that tranny does take on a load!

Your 'fix' sure nuf oughta hold up, looks good!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Nice fix Tom and I can see your rant but keep in mind that the designers didn't know that you were gonna do the (excellent) mods to this beast or work it like you have. 

Nice the way the tranny can be still attached to the tractor to do this. 

I like the tack weld ... can always nip them off with a thin cutoff wheel if ever need be.  

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

Holes were machined by Wire EDM

That's the interesting part I would have thought more of a boring/reaming operation. Didn't know an EDM could do that kind of operation. 

Did I miss how the new nuts are locked on? 

Excellent write up! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
16 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Did I miss how the new nuts are locked on? 

Mig Lock between the bolt and nut.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
3 hours ago, Skipper said:

MIG LOCK" between bolt and nut, in stead of locktite.

Ahhh... Yep I missed that :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Skipper
1 hour ago, pacer said:

You lucked out!! Amazing it didnt blow the bottom of the case out, cause that is the usual result. As the gear is turning with a piece of debris between it and the case -- the case loses and the cast iron will give.

Yep! for sure. Luckily the tranny is replaceable with any other Eaton 1100 unit, with only difference being the axles that are longer for the large hubs. So those hard to find axles are actually the only thing I'm really scared of loosing. 

WHX??
1 minute ago, Skipper said:

the large hubs

Was it fun getting them off or did you have them off before? 

What is your method for securing them back on? 

• Like 1

Skipper

Haaagh don't get me going on that. :D

Securing them again was just to force them on again, and tightening the set bolts. Hope that will hold up, and then time will seize them again. Don't feel like gluing them inn :-)

Getting them off was quite a struggle , and that's all in here: 

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 2

Pullstart

Awesome upgrade!  EDM rocks, it doesn’t change hardness of the piece either!  I agree, that in most cases, the black machine bolts in 10mm fashion would have been plenty enough.

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
16 hours ago, Skipper said:

What the heck went thru the minds of the numnuts, who figured out to use these exact bolts? That is an engineering blunder of magnitude! Let me explain, before you choke in your Coffey :D

Too late....

:lol:

Well written mod. 

Thanks!

• Thanks 1