RussAMC

2 blade side discharge deck

RussAMC

New to the forum, in fact never joined a forum of any kind before, so my apologies if I'm clumsy at this. I have aquired a 312-8 with a 2 blade deck and bagger. I believe it is a 37" but has been patched and painted and no longer has a id tag. I read previous posts on your forum stating that the mule drive with 1flat + 1 v pulley ( which is what I have ) required a v belt. Tractor had 6 sided belt that was pretty well shot and broke almost immediately. All pulleys on deck are v. Do I have the wrong mule drive ? Bought a v belt for it but seems like the idlers on the deck should be flat. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

• Like 2

rlrnot

Welcome!  If your 37 " deck has "v" idler pulleys,then the mule drive should have 2 "v" pulleys and uses a 6-sided belt.  This is the configuration of my deck and mule drive.  There are some 37" decks that have a different configuration.  Hope this helps.

Randy

• Like 2

kpinnc

The 37sd deck uses a mule drive with two v pulleys. 

Edit- rlrnot beat me to it!

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1

rlrnot

RussAMC, the Wheel Horse part number of the 6-sided belt is 111178'

• Like 1

RussAMC

Thanks for the info, do you think I'm better off trying to find the correct mule drive double v and 6 sided belt or replace the v idlers on deck with flat pulleys, or is that even a option ? Thanks again, really am impressed with your site.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Click on the fuzzy pictures in the links for more info

This later regular 4-sided belt deck has 2 flat idlers on the deck and one flat idler on the front idler assembly.

• Like 1

rlrnot

You don't have to replace the whole mule drive.  You would probably only need to exchange the flat pulley on the mule drive with the 'v' pulley (wheel horse part number 104974 at both positions on the mule drive).  CAUTION -  The spacers btw the pulleys are not the same, so keep the same orientation. You would then need to use the 6-sided belt.

• Like 1

RussAMC

Thanks for the downloads , I should be able to make sense of it now.

• Like 1

RussAMC

Thanks rirnot, not sure how correct anything I currently have on this tractor or deck/ mule drive is with what previous owner did but will pay particular attention to the spacers. Thanks again for the heads up.

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
On 8/12/2021 at 8:37 PM, RussAMC said:

New to the forum

@RussAMC

:text-welcomeconfetti:to Red Square !

Edited by Horse Newbie

clueless
On 8/13/2021 at 8:59 AM, rlrnot said:

You don't have to replace the whole mule drive.  You would probably only need to exchange the flat pulley on the mule drive with the 'v' pulley (wheel horse part number 104974 at both positions on the mule drive).  CAUTION -  The spacers btw the pulleys are not the same, so keep the same orientation. You would then need to use the 6-sided belt.

:text-yeahthat:You probably just need to replace the flat pulley with the v pulley toro part 104974 on the mule drive and put the 6 sided belt on. Make sure you follow the instructions on how to install it, if it is a wheel horse belt, which I highly recommend the white wheel hose lettering should always be facing out. Goggle Toro 05-37sc02 and you will find a parts manual that list all the part and a diagram. Go to the manual section here and down load the operator manual for you deck both will help a lot, I rebuilt my 1989 37" deck last year using both manual, big help. 

• Like 1

rlrnot

I believe the part number of the deck that uses the 6-sided belt is 05-37SC01.

• Like 1

RussAMC

Thanks again everyone for all the input, going to have to sideline the project for a few days but will try to obtain the parts. Will let you know how it goes, thanks.

• Like 1

clueless
14 hours ago, rlrnot said:

I believe the part number of the deck that uses the 6-sided belt is 05-37SC01.

From 1986 to at least 1998 they made four different model number 37" sd deck for the 3 and 400 wheel horse:

05-37SC01- 86,87,88,89,90

05-37SC02-90,91

05-37SC03-91,92

78315-93,94,95,96,97,98.

All the 05-37SC's used the two V pulleys on the mule drive, Toro-104974 or (92-7103) and the six sided belt Toro 111178. 

It looks like when they went to the 78315 model number the mule drive went to the standard V pulley/ flat idler configuration.

• Like 1

dcrage
1 hour ago, clueless said:

All the 05-37SC's used the two V pulleys on the mule drive,

My 37” SD says this statement isn’t entirely correct. I purchased my 05-37SC02 in 1991. It came with the regular V-belt, NOT the 6 sided one. I remember being very surprised 10 years ago discovering that there were 6 sided belts on some (a lot?) of the 37” decks 

• Like 1