johnnymag3

Squeal..screeching from Magnum 12 @ flywheel side?

johnnymag3

Have been trying to figure out where this belt squeal type sound is coming from on a 12 HP magnum....seems to be near or behind flywheel area? Any ideas?

I took off the drive belt and ran the engine with NO Drive belt and the squealing screeching is still prevalent.....Nothing at Idle...mid range and higher only it seems. Never heard a sound like this...Engine runs perfect and has 600 Hours on it...fully Serviced regularly, SAE 30 and Zinc added....no metal or filings in drain oil....Need some advice. DOES IT RIGHT FROM START UP, NO NEED TO EVEN GET IT HOT...

THANKS....JOHN

:text-thankyouyellow:

thank you pic.jpg

Edited by johnnymag3
  • Like 2

gwest_ca

Only thing I can think of is a loose magnet.

Time to remove flywheel and look see.

Garry

• Like 3

squonk

Take off you shroud and remove the grass screen. look for anything that might have gotten jammed in there like a stone or stick. If it looks good put the shroud back on without the screen. If the noise is still there, I'd say the front bearing is starting to fail or like Gary said loose magnet.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

Bill D

Yep.  Pull the flywheel.

• Like 1

Tuneup

...or you'll find that the starter is jammed in the flywheel, Good luck!

• Like 1

WheelHorse520H
1 hour ago, Tuneup said:

...or you'll find that the starter is jammed in the flywheel, Good luck!

You mean like what I had with a cheap Chinese starter from Amazon on my 520-H…

9D535C6B-3C04-4D6B-8A63-34F7DD5A146B.jpeg

DA00493E-9178-4D6C-918C-2378405B9E20.jpeg

• Like 1

kpinnc

Check to make sure that you don't have a long screw holding the shroud on. If someone put a long screw where the short ones go, they can contact the flywheel. Makes an awful racket!

I know someone who did it once, but it wasn't me... :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

cleat

When I first bought my 312H it was making a racket.

Turns out it was the ignition coil rubbing the flywheel.

Properly gapped it and all is well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

johnnymag3

So I took the entire Flywheel off, ...gapped the coil., it was already good.....Stator is not touching magnets..nothing loose or out of position....I left cooling tin off to view starter....it was perfect.....and fired up M12.....squeal seems like its on the other side of the engine....PTO?

Any  ideas?    engine runs perfect.....

Thanks, John

Bill D

How are the bearings in the PTO? The main support bearing for the PTO pulley could make a noise when the engine is running and the PTO is not engaged.  Does the noise stop when the PTO is engaged?  Are the belt guides on the engine rubbing the drive pulley?   How is the idler pulley for the drive belt.  I had a hydro making an awful noise, the idler pulley bearings were gone.  Just metal on metal.

johnnymag3

I am going to take off the PTO pulley and inspect that next...Very odd sound... maybe harmonics coming from elsewhere and fooling me? With a bare engine and no pulleys or drive belts on it I will be able to isolate the sound if it is still there.....Could be something simple...if not, I will swap an engine into this Tractor as it is a real nice low hour machine....Thanks Bill for the ideas and everyone else who has sent ideas

John     :)

Bill D
2 hours ago, johnnymag3 said:

I am going to take off the PTO pulley and inspect that next...Very odd sound... maybe harmonics coming from elsewhere and fooling me? With a bare engine and no pulleys or drive belts on it I will be able to isolate the sound if it is still there.....Could be something simple...if not, I will swap an engine into this Tractor as it is a real nice low hour machine....Thanks Bill for the ideas and everyone else who has sent ideas

John     :)

I doubt it's the engine.  Post a video if you can.  I would like to hear the noise.

johnnymag3

I cant post a video....you know that silly    LOL I have a flip phone :happy-bouncyblue:   HAHAHA  

Thank you....  :text-thankyouyellow:

johnnymag3

Ran the engine with NOTHING on it............squeals like a bandit !!!!!!!!!!