Sparkey

Help C125 rear end locked up?

Sparkey

Hi 

Non running C125 went to tow into garage to work on fuel pump and rear end seems to be locked up or stuck in gear (manual trans hi low )  feels like it is in neutral shifts into gears freely push in clutch doesn't matter brake is free. Any ideas on what to look at  would be greatly appreciated  this was late last evening so just left will dive into this afternoon after work. This was a running driving tractor till the fuel pump died then it sat for about a month.
Thanks !

• Sad 1

953 nut

I had one that was locked up like that, turned out one of the bolts going through the differential hade broken and was wedged.

• Like 3

pfrederi

First pull the shifter and make sure the forks are aligned correctly (Use a big screw driver to get them back right)  if they are aligned and still locked up 953nut probably has your issue Identified....

IMG_0264_LI.jpg

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 5

Sparkey
9 hours ago, pfrederi said:

First pull the shifter and make sure the forks are aligned correctly (Use a big screw driver to get them back right)  if they are aligned and still locked up 953nut probably has your issue Identified....

IMG_0264_LI.jpg

Checked this looks to be ok

40FA66F6-1757-4208-AC05-71439EF9699E.jpeg

Sparkey
11 hours ago, 953 nut said:

I had one that was locked up like that, turned out one of the bolts going through the differential hade broken and was wedged.

I am a bit of newbie to working on wheelhorse trans and rear end what bolts should I check or at this point I had pulled seat pan gas tank etc to check shifter fork should I just pull the tranny ? 

953 nut
9 minutes ago, Sparkey said:

should I just pull the tranny ? 

Spend a bit of time with this post by @stevasaurus prior to pulling the transmission, lots of good information here.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

vogli
15 hours ago, Sparkey said:

I am a bit of newbie to working on wheelhorse trans and rear end what bolts should I check or at this point I had pulled seat pan gas tank etc to check shifter fork should I just pull the tranny ? 

Me too! Welcome to the club. So far, I've really found that there's not much to be afraid of. I'm confident that the peeps here can help get you through it. Watch the videos, read the manuals, and send pictures of what you find.

Manual:

stevasaurus

I would say, it is time to drain and drop the transmission.  You want Section V in the manual above.  If it is one of the differential bolts, and the rest of your trans is clean, it is an easy fix.  Make sure you have the shallow side down (input shaft side) when you go to open it.  The differential can be pulled right out, fixed and slipped back in.  If you have sludge in there, you probably want to pull out the other gears and clean it.  It is a good idea to change out the 4 seals also.  All parts are available.  :thumbs:

• Like 1

Sparkey
9 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

I would say, it is time to drain and drop the transmission.  You want Section V in the manual above.  If it is one of the differential bolts, and the rest of your trans is clean, it is an easy fix.  Make sure you have the shallow side down (input shaft side) when you go to open it.  The differential can be pulled right out, fixed and slipped back in.  If you have sludge in there, you probably want to pull out the other gears and clean it.  It is a good idea to change out the 4 seals also.  All parts are available.  :thumbs:

Thanks for the tips !

Hopefully will have time tonight after work  

Did notice if I jack tractor up one wheel will spin forward the other backwards but when both try to turn forwards that's when it locks up not sure if that insight sheds any light to you experts ?

pfrederi

That confirms 953nuts diagnosis.   When you spin one wheel the movement is trnfered through the pinons to the other wheel in the opposite direction.  When you try to turn both you then are trying to spin the whole differential which is probably jammed a by a broken bolt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

Check out this video.  The only difference is this one has 4 pinions, yours has 8.  This will show you what Paul stated just above.  It's only 3 minutes.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2

Sparkey

Thanks all for the help and guidance. Pulled the trans and split it yesterday couldn't find any broken bolts flushed  and cleaned it well as it needed it it all put it backed together and bench tested all seems fine now. So  was it stuck between gears some how or something else no idea no major wear  to speak of wish I had found a smoking gun.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Did you take any pictures of before and after???

Sparkey
8 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Did you take any pictures of before and after???

no I didn't I was all full of gear oil and grime 

• Haha 1