Bach-Ed

CH270 stalls downhill

Bach-Ed

Some years ago i replaced the engine on my 857 with a CH270 Kohler.  And it has been in use for years now.  I have a 10 foot or so downhill stretch.  i go down it and turn left.   Well  about two weeks ago I did that and she dies and wouldn't re start.  Dragger her back up the hill and back to the garage.  The next day I started it up okay but I had already used the push mower to finish the lawn.  So the other day  i did the same thing and in the  same place and again she died.   Dragged it up to the top of the rise and it restarted and I finished the rest of the flat.   

Bach-Ed

Continuing the story.  My first thought, i was low on gas and the angle down cut off the gas supply.  Nope I had a half tank.   How about suggestions?

pfrederi

Too new for me but maybe you have a float problem in the carb.  Older carbs had specific float settings...

• Like 2

Darb1964

Low oil sensor?

• Like 2

Tuneup

I had this with my 16HP Onan. The needle valve was partially blocked - this after a full cleaning from tank through carb and new lines and filter. Full throttle and loaded with the deck, she gradually ran low in the bowl and stalled going up the hill as the fuel cleared the main jet. Blew into the inlet hose and you could tell that even air could barely get through. Check the carb.

Bach-Ed

Thank you all for the help.  I'll check these out this weekend,  and let you know what it is.

gwest_ca

Bach-Ed

Well I found out the problem.  When I went down the hill, I of course, applied the brake hard.   Well the drive belt wasn't free of the engine pulley.  And it made the engine stall.   I'll start a different thread  to talk about this problem.