giddyap

"It's my thing" my concept revised

giddyap

This project was born with a different goal adding 10" to the midsection of a 310-8/520H. It is now being built as a new version of what I believe is my original concept. To my knowledge no other custom has been built using a Wheel Horse snowplow frame as a chassie. If it has I want to know so credit is due where it belongs. 

The second photo is of my original finished chassie, then the start of the rejected project, the transformation and one of this first photos of what to expect if I stay on course. This is basically in the mock up stage. Many issues remain to determine if it "sinks or floats". Any imput is greatly appriecated.  

DSC07460.JPG

DSC07327.JPG

DSC07465.JPG

DSC07738.JPG

DSC07743.JPG

Edited by giddyap
addition
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine

Looks wicked interesting. What's the seat pan??

giddyap
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Looks wicked interesting. What's the seat pan??

It's a wheelbarrow tub. I was going to mount it on the extended 310-8/520H frame but my eyes hurt looking at it. 

DSC07723.JPG

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Nicely done. I like that.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
39 minutes ago, giddyap said:

To my knowledge no other custom has been built using a Wheel Horse snowplow frame as a chassie

@wallfish built his custom motorcycle out of a plow frame and all :wh: parts, we can’t forget that one :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

giddyap

Here's John and me and our machines. I had no idea his motocycle used the snowplow frame. So I am very happy it is wallfish who deserves the credit. 

7 minutes ago, pullstart said:

@wallfish built his custom motorcycle out of a plow frame and all :wh: parts, we can’t forget that one :handgestures-thumbupright:

wallfish.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

giddyap

I really admire wallfish for his expertise and his imagination. Along with others in this community he may have helped me the most with my first build. In addition to his original WH motocycle I believe he also originated a two seater using a snowplow blade which I included a picture. 2 seater 2.JPG 

• Like 3

giddyap

Here are two more progress photos. I think most of the difficulties are behind me and I'm feeling good about the chances of completing this project. This post also reveals my goal of creating something unique or original. Jack Parr of talk TV and the original host of the Tonight Show said, "there is nothing left to talk about".  That is proving to be the case with me and why I get excited when an idea comes to me only to find it's been done

DSC07761.JPG

DSC07756.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Nothing wrong with putting your/our own tastes/touches on an existing idea though.  

I really enjoy seeing the differences of the way folks' mind's eye looks upon a potential piece. 

• Like 2

Pullstart

It’s looking great already!  As mentioned before, it’s quite amazing what you can accomplish by means of fitting and bolting together without welding.  I’m looking forward to the progress!

• Thanks 1

giddyap

A Cub steering column was delivered yesterday and was fitted today.  The mini wing may gett replaced with a grille , Our new mailbox had to be large enough for my scrap metal motocycle to sit on it

DSC07778.JPG

DSC07781.JPG

• Like 3

giddyap

Last year I was lucky to get a Harbor Freight 10K generator AND beat a price increase. Today I thought about going to HF for an engine but first I had to check if it was in was in stock. Yikes all the stores in my area appeared to have none. But as I was comparing stores, some engines had a "add to cart" option. So I did and got the one I wanted (except it was Calif emissions), It's being shipped to m house in 5-7 days  Appears to be deja vu all over again

• Like 2

Snoopy11
On 8/12/2021 at 10:37 PM, giddyap said:

Last year I was lucky to get a Harbor Freight 10K generator AND beat a price increase. Today I thought about going to HF for an engine but first I had to check if it was in was in stock. Yikes all the stores in my area appeared to have none. But as I was comparing stores, some engines had a "add to cart" option. So I did and got the one I wanted (except it was Calif emissions), It's being shipped to m house in 5-7 days  Appears to be deja vu all over again

Wouldn't want a Tillotson Mark II with stock internals, or Billet Tillotson... would you?

Don

• Like 1

giddyap
On 8/18/2021 at 6:59 PM, Snoopy11 said:

want a Tillotson Mark II with......

Thanks, but I would ratther wait on a 301 Predator and I am in no hurry

BACKORDER, My engine should arrive sometime in Sept.

In the mean time I bought a pair of 20x8 and put them on a modified cart.

I used the frame from a wheel barrow and the axle clamps from a WH deck 

It still needs a few refidements   

DSC07839.JPG

DSC07841 (2).JPG

DSC07842.JPG

• Like 3

giddyap

Without an engine, there is little left to engineer. Today I cut out the seat pan, and decided to reconfigure the tower. Like the engine, I'm also waiting on a 12x12 mounting plate cut out for a 301 Predator. This is my first 301, I hope it fits more like the 212 and not like the 420. Long overdue is a current photo which I took just a short time ago. Since I havent posted every little thing during my build as I usually do, I thought this one photo would be proof that I'm actually building something lol. One other comment, what you see will likey look slightly different when I'm done. BTW I renewed my supporter status for another year :teasing-signhere:

DSC07851.JPG

• Excellent 2

slim67
1 hour ago, giddyap said:

Without an engine, there is little left to engineer. Today I cut out the seat pan, and decided to reconfigure the tower. Like the engine, I'm also waiting on a 12x12 mounting plate cut out for a 301 Predator. This is my first 301, I hope it fits more like the 212 and not like the 420. Long overdue is a current photo which I took just a short time ago. Since I havent posted every little thing during my build as I usually do, I thought this one photo would be proof that I'm actually building something lol. One other comment, what you see will likey look slightly different when I'm done. BTW I renewed my supporter status for another year :teasing-signhere:

DSC07851.JPG

Jon the 301 used to be 346 cc and 11 hp but for whatever reason it is what it is now. It’s heftier than the 212. Think GX200 vs GX340.

• Thanks 2

953 nut
13 hours ago, giddyap said:

I renewed my supporter status for another year

Woohoo Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Greentored

That is so wild!!!!  Being styled like a front engine dragster, sure would look cool with a big ol honkin flathead Kohler up there eh?  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

giddyap

I went to HF this morning and was told the California warehouse is deplete of engines. So with two engines in stock I took one not knowing if it was a Hemi and canceled my online order. The Carolina warehouse must be running low

DSC07871.JPG

DSC07872.JPG

• Like 1

giddyap

Everything aside, my priority is to get that engine unboxed. I think there are 4 factories in China producing the engine and only one making the Hemi. So compare the picture on the box, compare heads with my 212 power washer and I think I just maybe got the Hemi :greetings-clappingyellow:

DSC07867 (2).JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

Now we can get to work again!  By “we” I mean “you” but at least we are here to watch you!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

giddyap
6 hours ago, pullstart said:

Now we can get to work again!

Heigh-ho, heigh-ho it's off to work we go.....well not so much today. What with building without an engine on hand I finally got to size up how it all fits together and plan my next moves 

On 8/30/2021 at 7:24 PM, slim67 said:

It’s heftier than the 212.

I was still surprised by how much heftier it is and relieved it mounts only slightly off center. It's a big block more like the 420 13 hp that needed a rockshaft because the offset was too extreme. I don't build engines but I have to think this one has much potential    

DSC07870.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

giddyap

With the engine sitting on the plate, I was finally able to see how I needed to get the drive belt thru the tower. Which by the way, the belt fits nicely between the original frame and the plow frame. Same for the clutch linkage on the other side which I will show later. My pulleys are E4" and 2"Tranny 

DSC07868.JPG

DSC07873.JPG

• Like 4

giddyap

If you go back to post #8, second picture you will see that I turned the plow bracket upside down and 2 short round bars so the clamps could hook up. I realized all the weight would be on the axle cases so I built up the brackets with spacers and slid in one whole round bar that you can see in post #23. Now with a tight spacer under the one round bar I have the weight distributed to three points instead of two

With the clutch linkage running between the frames the cast foot lever was not going to work.  So  I found a stamped foot lever from a new Toro was the solution. Removing the right foot brake i discovered the short link was the exact part to revert back to a clutch/brake left foot. I also can adjust the clutch with the turnbuckle 

DSC07874.JPG

DSC07875.JPG

• Like 2

Greentored

Love it!

And yes sir, thats a hemi head model, and they absolutely do make more power.

• Thanks 1