Skipper

6449 axle seal vs CR11124 for Hydro transmissions

Skipper

So the manual for most (all I have seen) Eaton 1100 powered transaxles, call for axle seal 6449. The substitude is said to be CR11124 everywhere I look. However, I pulled the original worn out 6449, and that is 1/2" wide (deep into the socket), and has a double lip seal on the front, and is hollow further back. The CR11124, is only 1/4" deep, and has same seals.

So now this is what I haven't been able to figure out: Do you guys just put one CR11124 in, and leave the cavity behind it free, or do you put 2 in after each other, to fill the slot. The latter would of cause seal better, but I am afraid if it doesn't seep just a smidge, that dirt will just sit there and grind the axle. What are the general consensus?

Personally I am biased to just one seal, but if there are positives (no negatives) to be said for duals, then by all means, let's hear it. :-)

stevasaurus

The 6449 seal has a cross reference to CR11124, change that to SKF 11124. Chicago Rawhide is no more...now SKF.  Use only 1 seal and mount it flush  to out end of case.  2 Seals will cause exactly what you said...it will leave a dry place and mess up your axle.  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44

Steve has spoken, one seal.

Back at the Dams, in wet locations we would put 2 seals and fill the cavity between the 2 with a special German grease made by Kluber (great expensive stuff).  As said, this was for special wet locations.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Skipper

Thanks Steve. Always good to hear the pros advise ;-) Glad we are in agreement then. Hope that means I'm not a complete lost cause yet :D

Noted on SKF only from now on. They were called SKF Chicago Rawhide for a long time, hence the CR.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Old military vehicle and farm tractor seals were very thick (Rawhide and Felt Hence Chicago rawhide).   Many of us do use two modern seals but pack grease in between.  The old Seals tended to wear the shaft so more seal is better

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

I must be in a bad mood today.  :confusion-confused:  I don't care how many seals these guys use in a riding lawn mower, they came from the factory with one...2 is a waste of money, and I really don't think it does anything good.  Seals don't hold the axle, the bearing does.  Even in a wet environment, if you were in water above the axle, you run the risk of water getting in under your shift boot.  :eusa-think:

Hi Tom, Chicago Rawhide had a seal factory on the other side of Elgin (where I live).  Been in there many times doing phone work through the years.  You must be doing OK Tom, I keep sending guys in your direction.  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 1

Skipper
2 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Hi Tom, Chicago Rawhide had a seal factory on the other side of Elgin (where I live).  Been in there many times doing phone work through the years.  You must be doing OK Tom, I keep sending guys in your direction.  :orcs-cheers:

Thanks Buddy, I'm doing fine. And thanks for keeping me busy. Hope you are good too :-)

One would also think that if you sink the horse in water so deep, that it can be pressed inwards thru the axle seals, one actually has bigger problems all together :happy-jumpgreen:

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

WHY THE LONG FACE ???/

653-funny-horse-hat.jpg

• Haha 1

daveoman1966

I replaced the 6449 axle seal with Timken 471652...think it was $11. 

This seal 471652 is 0.25" thick instead of the original seal being 0.50" thick.  

Oil drip is stopped...that's all I wanted to do.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Right...the Timken or maybe the National seal might be the same depth as the #6449, but the seal part is the same...still just one seal to do the same job.  :occasion-xmas:  I would go for the thicker width seal...if I had a choice...I would let price settle that argument...they do the same job.  Dang it...it's is a Garden Tractor...are you bailing hay with it??  :notworthy:  Still go with one seal...have not seen any reason to change that.  

953 nut

I just bought a pair of 6449 seals on :techie-ebay: for $ 9.34 a pair delivered. Can't post a link but here is the listing title.  Replacement TORO Wheelhorse Axle Seals Replaces 6449 (Set of 2)

stevasaurus

Richard, your link does not work...post the link in this case.  I will point out though, you just said you bought 2 #6449 seals...your link says replaces #6449 seals.  :confusion-confused:  Since the link does not work???  So what did you really buy??  @953 nut

stevasaurus

John, I love you man.  I am so tired of mis-information, I just have to call it out.  :USA:  I missed seeing you this year at the show.

953 nut
11 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

post the link in this case.

What I posted was the title, not a link. Here is the link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/142042768245  These seals are exactly like the OEM seals I removed.

• Like 1

lynnmor
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

What I posted was the title, not a link. Here is the link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/142042768245  These seals are exactly like the OEM seals I removed.

I used those seals without issue.

• Like 1

Jose
On 8/4/2021 at 2:19 PM, stevasaurus said:

The 6449 seal has a cross reference to CR11124, change that to SKF 11124. Chicago Rawhide is no more...now SKF.  Use only 1 seal and mount it flush  to out end of case.  2 Seals will cause exactly what you said...it will leave a dry place and mess up your axle.  :orcs-cheers:

? When installing flat side facing out?

953 nut
13 hours ago, Jose said:

? When installing flat side facing out?

Yes!   Be sure to remove any burrs or rough spots on your axle with a file and sandpaper, cover the end of the shaft and the keyway with masking tape and use a bit of oil on the shaft to prevent abrasion of the new seal.

• Excellent 1

Jose

Thank you very much appreciated, things that make sense that you don't think of that can damage seal.... 

I really like  this site!!      ( Red Square Rules )           :notworthy:    :flags-canada: