Gregor

Back up Camera

Gregor

M

Has anyone ever installed an aftermarket back up camera on their car/truck ? My wife wants one on the truck. Sounds like it might get a little involved to me.

• Like 1

Achto

ebinmaine

Agreed. That's what I was going to suggest.

As a DOT certified Commercial Driver I'd like to put in here... a disclaimer.

:angry-soapbox:

I do NOT believe that a backup camera should be relied upon to reverse any vehicle anywhere on a regular basis.

That said, my parents just put one on the back of their camper to increase the margin of safety while they're in campgrounds with tight spaces and small poorly or unsupervised human objects running around. 

I'd be happy to find out which one they purchased and how they like it. 

• Like 3

Gregor

I have wondered if the wireless ones would give a good, reliable, continuous, picture. As good as a hard wired one.

formariz

We have a late model car (Audi) with a factory camera. Just some advice if I may. It is easy to sort of become "hypnotized" while looking at camera while backing up and lose concentration on everything else going on such as where the front of car is like while parallel parking. Stuff happens very fast while we spend milliseconds looking at screen while moving. Unlike factory camera , after market cameras do not have sensors indicating how close all parts of car are to obstacles. Ours also indicates what direction car is going as opposed to straight which I find an invaluable aid when using it. Just be careful while using it. It is not what it is cut out to be like most people think

• Like 1

troutbum70

I find my backup cameras to be most useful when hooking up to any type of trailer solo. Backup cameras are like gps's you just can't put 100% faith in them.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

JoeM

What ever you get surely is a safety plus and convenience. 

I don't have one on my truck but have thought about it too. I used my son's and it is the bomb for hooking up a loaded trailer by yourself.

When I got my 2012 truck it just came with those back up sensors. Didn't really give them a thought cause I am a oldskool mirror guy. But one day, I pulled into a quick mart and was going to leave. Put it in reverse, checked the mirrors, and was just about ready to backup and the alarm sounded. Checked the mirrors again and a woman walked behind the truck. I could just see her head above the tailgate in the rearview. She passed and it cleared and before I let off the brake it went off again. Checked the mirrors and nothing, then here young son came into view in my drivers side mirror. He must have been 20 foot or so behind her, I have always trusted them since. I may not of hurt him cause I ease out of places like that but who knows. 

• Like 2

Gregor

I have looked at a few online. Some do not come with a license plate camera. I wonder where you are suppose to put a regular camera. :confusion-confused:  On a truck.

Edited by Gregor

cafoose

check out post 27 in this thread and see what I did to my previous truck wasn't really that difficult:

• Thanks 1

8ntruck

I put a wireless camera on the back of our 17' travel trailer. The pairing of the camera and monitor work well.  It has a dependable picture, though the combination of the wide angle lens and small monitor makes details hard to see on the monitor.  Installation was basically plug and play.

I've got it wired to the trailer running lights so it is on when the lights are.  It helps when backing and to some extent reduces the blind spot on the road directly behind the trailer while driving.

Gregor

I got to thinking later. I'm sure I could fab something to mount the camera to, and then to the license plate holes. I'm not too big on the idea of drilling holes in my bumper.

ebinmaine
40 minutes ago, Gregor said:

I got to thinking later. I'm sure I could fab something to mount the camera to, and then to the license plate holes. I'm not too big on the idea of drilling holes in my bumper.

Get a license plate bracket such as you would use on a trailer. Mounted on the inside of the plate so it's being pinched between the plate and the vehicle and not blocking any of the license plate itself.

Mount the camera to the portion of the bracket that sticks out.

• Like 2