Sign in to follow this  
buckhornbob

Can I turn a 44" Cutting Unit into a mulching Mower

buckhornbob

My fix-it friend has a great shop and is refurbishing a 44" three blade mower for me.  I got it with the tractor a few years ago but have not used it yet.

Currently it has some bent metal and some rusted paint but seems sound and fixable.

I was wondering if anyone has turned a unit like this into a mulching mower by modifying the chute and installing mulching blades.

Any comments, recommendations or words of advice from experience appreciated.

8ntruck

I built a cover plate for my 42" side discharge deck.  I use it mostly in the fall to grind up the leaves.  Does a fair job, but a lot of them blow out from under the left front edge of the deck.  I'm using standard blades.  Might work better with mulching blades, though.  Since I haven't tried the mulching blades, I can't say for sure.

Good luck.

peter lena

@buckhornbob, when you are cutting large heavy ground cover , its the DISCHARGE  THATS COUNTS , refer to a FLAIL MOWER , FOR IDEAS. another thing that will need detailing is your bearing and drive lubrication , spindle bearings , pto , needle bearing and mule belt drive bearings will be under , increased heat and loading, recommend  LUCAS  EXTRA HEAVY DUTY GREASE ,ITS POLYUREA  ANTI SLING 560 DEG DROP POINT  will stay with your bearings , Walmart $ 5 . use it in all my bearings , no noise or failures,  experiment with your idea , and correct any point that acts up , I  would also , upgrade your drive train lubrication , and add rislone  zinc  to your engine oil , for the heavy loading its about to encounter , only suggestions and experience , hope it works for you , pete

pacer

I put this together in about 10 mins with a piece of ..thinnish? sheet metal off ??? and found it worked surprisingly well (in light duty)

As fall of the year nears the trees star dropping a few leaves and makes my yard look ... messy? I have a Cyclone Rake system for the serious leaf fall later but for 2-3 times I will use this to 'clean' up prior to the big fall of leaves.

IMG_3680.JPG.6e800e651b028827316cb828b9206edf.JPG

IMG_3681.JPG.37b682378898087e651a24d5b452b027.JPG

JoeM

I did a 48 a few years back and it worked out good. Refabbed the discharge and installed gator blades.

Some of the issues. When using it to cut grass, on a regular basis, you have to cut a touch slower and more often to let the mulching effect play out. I would lower it a notch in the fall and it really did a great job on the leaves. 

A friend of mine bumed it off of me in a horse trading deal and I really miss it

buckhornbob

Great comments folks. I really appreciate the depth of experience on this site and the willingness to help others.

• Like 1