wfopete

School Me on Michigan Pullin'

wfopete

I am considering getting into the pulling thing but realistically I'm a year out from playing the game.  I'm 63 yo and I've been racing dirt bikes for decades and I thought pulling might be a mellower step down. Although I live in Arkansas I have family in Michigan and there is a lot of pulling in that state.  To me, tractor pulling and fall Michigan weather goes hand in hand. Right now I'd say I'd be in it for the fun but we all know how that changes overnight.  I plan to spectate at the Saline Fair pulls this September to learn a bit and enjoy the action. I've checked out the Michigan Tractor Pullers Association, NPTA and and the MMMTPA (Mid Mich. Mini Trac, Pulling Assoc.) and I'm getting a bit overwhelmed about classes and rules.  I would rather get into a turn key unit instead of building my own; I would love to get into Gregg's 50.5 SS puller but I don't even know what a 50.5 is!  Plus that machine is so pretty I don't know if I could get it dirty.  Oh and I'm not considering anything else but a Wheel Horse machine!

So let me learn from your mistakes (I mean experiences :lol: )

I guess my first questions are:

• What is a cost effective way of getting into this sport?
  • Which pulling associations cater to garden tractors?
  • Classes really confuse me as to what these pullers have done to them and what they look like? 
  • What are the minimum mods that need to be done in order to compete? 
  • Is pulling fun or does it turn into a sport where you almost dreading going to the next event knowing who is going to be there? 
  • If I start out with a million dollars can I make $1000 doing this (that's a joke son!)?

Achto
32 minutes ago, wfopete said:

If I start out with a million dollars can I make $1000 doing this (that's a joke son!)?

If you raced motocross then you already know that motor sports = $. Pulling can be no different, specially if you wish to get into a modified class. In Wisconsin even "stock" only means that you are limited to 3600 RPMs with some clubs

I love my :wh:'s but I also know that the serious competitors are sitting on Cub Cadets. I've seen many different bodies at our local pulls, (JD, Case, WH, etc) but most of them are sitting on Cub Cadet chassis.

Check out the catalog at this site. They have every thing you would need to build a puller through a turn key ready to pull tractor.   

https://mwsc.co/pages/catalog 

• Like 1

wfopete

So does this wide discrepancy in rules lead to a lot of finger pointing and protest?  Do you find a lot of competitors being "That Guy" who are always pushing the limits of the rules?  From some of the prices I saw in the catalog it looks like a used turn key puller saves a lot of $ if you know the machine is built correctly.  And your are right, it's not just the $ of getting into a machine; it's the associated cost of traveling, trailers, lodging, food that start to add up.  

I tell my wife that if I race "In state" it will be a $200 bill by the time I add up all the numbers.  If I race out of state that number can grow closer to $500.

This was helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvzzFeOqMuA

Edited by wfopete

Achto
On 8/1/2021 at 8:59 PM, wfopete said:

So does this wide discrepancy in rules lead to a lot of finger pointing and protest?  Do you find a lot of competitors being "That Guy" who are always pushing the limits of the rules? 

At most of the pulls in my area you have to pass tech before you pull so any discrepancy's should be taken care of before you hook. As for "That Guy" well, it's a motor sport. If you ain't cheatin' you ain't trying. :D

I pull a stock antique farm tractor class with a 1947 Cockshutt 30. At some tracks that I pull at people had a hard time understanding the word "stock". This issue has been solved with a dyno. Now in stock antique we allowed 2% over stock rated factory horse power and 0% over stock rated factory RPM's. Most tracks allow us to be 1% over in our weight classes, so my 3500lb tractor can only weight 3535lbs max with me on the seat. The other tech that we have to pass is maximum hitch height. I have seen an argument or 2 over who should get to take home few $ and a piece of plastic. There is also one eliminator in my area that I just won't hook to any more. Why? I suspect some good 'ol boy antics goin on by the guy running the eliminator. It just seems like they could almost hand out the prizes before the pull starts as the same tractors ( that I have out pulled at other tracks) always do well pulling this eliminator while every one else does not do well.

As with any sport you have to know the rules before you get to the event and follow them. If you get caught bending a clearly stated rule, well then that is on you. If you suspect someone else is bending the rules, bring it up to the officials and let them handle it.

Edited by Achto
  • Excellent 1

wfopete

Well just like a sled operator the guy running a dyno can lie, cheat and steal too but I suppose it helps to keep folks honest.  I quit racing dirt bikes for points years ago because I had enough $5000 jackets for class awards, meaning after all the expenses were added up getting that year end award cost me $5000 and that didn't include the cost of the bike. The problem is to get that award you need to race a lot at all kinds of tracks (some good some horrible) and weather.  A lot of the time it just means you simply could afford to out spend the competition.  I have a B-I-L that wanted his three boys to play hockey like he did when he was younger.  Drove his family all over the state, racked up thousands in credit card bills every year; for years and put the family in major debt.  I'm sure there were some "Life Lessons" learned somewhere during that time. Me? Now I race for fun, at my leisure, when the weather is good and the track is also.  

Edited by wfopete
  • Like 3

WHX??

I don't pull often ......but when I do it's balls out......

DSCN2075.JPG

• Excellent 3
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 1

wfopete

From my little knowledge about this sport that I've read I see three possible rule violations.

1. Dual Rear Wheels
  2. Front end too far off the ground
  3. Not looking ahead

But maybe that's how they pull in the cheese state  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 4

Achto
56 minutes ago, wfopete said:

But maybe that's how they pull in the cheese state 

That was a just for fun "run what ya brung" pull. Some what scary moment.

Other violations. 

4. Hitch height too high.

5. Butt not on the seat.

:lol:

wfopete

Still; looks like a fun pull! Should be your avatar.

Edited by wfopete

WHX??

20180610_112128.jpg

20180610_112130.jpg

• Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

Jacob S

The white on the side wall of the tires look good!