6wheeler

Question on an old. Ingersoll Rand air compressor

6wheeler

Hi all. I have a question about my old IR compressor. I think my motor may be bad again. It is an Ajax 5hp. Frame 2156. Type KK. Form BOW. Phase 1. NS class B. Amb. Temp 40. Duty cont. It is a 5hp. 1725 rpm.  Cyc.60. Amps 22. Code G. It was my Dads compressor. It didn't run when I got it 10 years ago. I took it to the electric motor repair place we have always used. He thought it was around 1965 era motor. He did what he could to it at the time. He also said it probably won't last. He rigged up a 4 pack of capacitors to get it running. Then he said? Don't bring it back. Next time it fails? It be junk. So? Now after the long story? Does any one know of what current motor I may be able to use? I can't find anything with the 2156 frame size. Do I just go with the foot print. And? Shaft size?  I don't know how to cross frame sizes. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks. Pat

• Like 1

squonk

Get one the same HP voltage and RPM. You can adapt / drill the mount if you have to. Get the same diameter pulley if you get a different size shaft. Or for a few hundred more you can by a new compressor with a NEW TANK. For safety reasons this may be a better option. Tanks don't last forever and can become dangerous! 

• Like 4

6wheeler
2 hours ago, squonk said:

Get one the same HP voltage and RPM. You can adapt / drill the mount if you have to. Get the same diameter pulley if you get a different size shaft. Or for a few hundred more you can by a new compressor with a NEW TANK. For safety reasons this may be a better option. Tanks don't last forever and can become dangerous! 

If the tank was questionable? I would get a different compressor. But? This is a IR 242. It is an 80 gallon upright compressor. The tank is good. Plus? It really works well. I guess I should say? It DID.  I never checked on one to replace it. But? I would bet I couldn't touch one for under a couple grand. Has anyone used WEG motors? I think I may have found one that might work. I forgot to add this.   Pat

1627858139589312586459092956226.jpg

Edited by 6wheeler
Add pic

Achto
13 hours ago, 6wheeler said:

Has anyone used WEG motors?

I have never used a WEG motor but we their alternators on our 600KW and larger generator sets where I work. Generally we have very little issues with them.

Jeff-C175
13 hours ago, 6wheeler said:

The tank is good

Hi Pat,  how do you know that?  Tanks rust from the inside out.  One way I know of that a tank can be determined to be 'good' or not is by hydrostatic testing.  I'm sure that there are other ways as well, such as X-ray and specialized 'thickness' testing, but I personally would be skeert to death to run that tank.

In fact, I recently disposed of an old tank that was probably of similar vintage to yours that had sat unused in the back of my FIL's garage for years.  I understand sentimental value, but when it comes to personal safety there's really no point to running a 50 year old air tank.

When an air compressor tank fails, they don't just 'leak' through a rust hole, the EXPLODE with great force.  Heaven help any person or property that is in the path of that force... and it's a LOT of force!

https://www.potbergcompressors.co.za/news-info/8-maintenance-tips/69-cause-of-explosion-of-air-compressor-tanks

Potberg%20Maintenance%20-%20Blog%2020%20

There's plenty more pics out on the web...

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

lynnmor
1 hour ago, Jeff-C175 said:

When an air compressor tank fails, they don't just 'leak' through a rust hole, the EXPLODE with great force.

The tank on my compressor simply leaked through a small rust hole.  Failure can take many forms.

6wheeler
1 hour ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Hi Pat,  how do you know that?  Tanks rust from the inside out.  One way I know of that a tank can be determined to be 'good' or not is by hydrostatic testing.  I'm sure that there are other ways as well, such as X-ray and specialized 'thickness' testing, but I personally would be skeert to death to run that tank.

In fact, I recently disposed of an old tank that was probably of similar vintage to yours that had sat unused in the back of my FIL's garage for years.  I understand sentimental value, but when it comes to personal safety there's really no point to running a 50 year old air tank.

When an air compressor tank fails, they don't just 'leak' through a rust hole, the EXPLODE with great force.  Heaven help any person or property that is in the path of that force... and it's a LOT of force!

https://www.potbergcompressors.co.za/news-info/8-maintenance-tips/69-cause-of-explosion-of-air-compressor-tanks

Potberg%20Maintenance%20-%20Blog%2020%20

There's plenty more pics out on the web...

I agree. What I do is? Dump all the air out through the bottom tank drain once a month. Then, when it is empty? I take my chipping hammer and tap tap tap on the bottom. No holes yet. Still seems solid. I don't want a 500 lb rocket in my shop. But? I do appreciate what you guys are saying. Thanks Pat

• Like 1

Zeek

That is a beast, I'd want to keep it too if the tank and pump work. You may want to check Northern Tool.  They have several 5 HP compressor motors available.

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, lynnmor said:

Failure can take many forms.

Of course it can!  It's all about 'risk management' I suppose.

You are one of the lucky ones!

Edited by Jeff-C175

6wheeler

Problem solved. I ordered a weg motor that will fit. I do have to say that the guy from Grainger was very helpful.?  And?  For Jeff-C175? I also talked to a guy from Ingersoll Rand. He wasn't concerned with the tank after I told him what I do. He said." Most tank failures are caused by faulty regulators and faulty pressure control valves. They should be replaced every 5 years. So? I ordered a new relief valve for mine. I already put a new regulator on it last year. Most tank failures are caused by way over pressurization. I do not ever leave it on when I am not in the shop. But? Thank you for the concern. I think a lot of people forget. Or? Don't know. That an air compressor needs as much maintenance as any other machine in the shop.    Pat

• Excellent 1

Jeff-C175
27 minutes ago, 6wheeler said:

Most tank failures

Keyword MOST.

You told him it was like 50 years old?

Will he be findable when your lawyer is looking for names to add to the civil liability suit?:wacko:

Edited by Jeff-C175

6wheeler

Yes. I gave him the serial number. He knows how old it is. I guess I didn't mention. My Dad used the same maintenance that I do. I am not trying to argue with you. I have taken the lower bung out of it. And using a camara? It looks good. But by doing that? I do see some oily film on the surface. I do not see any rust. Perhaps? It may be time to overhaul the compressor as well. It doesn't sit on the ground. I am not concerned with the condition of the tank. But? I appreciate that you are Jeff. Please understand. This is not some willy nilly thing to me. Safety and maintenance are? And? Have always been? Priority 1 for our operation. If I thought it was questionable? I wouldn't fix it. But? You are correct in your concern. There are many people that are the "set it forget it crowd". But? Not me.........You have very good points. I appreciate them. But? In this circumstance? Not. A problem. I do want to thank you though. Perhaps others will pay attention to what have discussed. And? Btw? 😃 I am 60. And? I ain't rotted out yet either....😁😁😁😁😁😁

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, 6wheeler said:

I am not trying to argue with you

I understand Pat!  And likewise me not arguing with you, just voicing my concern for your safety.

The thing about those old IR (and other high quality compressors) is that the tank material is MUCH thicker and surely a higher quality steel than the run of the mill crap that they sell today.

I wish you all the best Sir!  and many more years of service out of your compressor and (not rotted) body!  I've got 8 years on ya, and there's only surface rot on me.  Compression is still good, not burning any oil other than the 'midnight' variety, and thank God, the tank drain is still doing it's job! 

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Haha 1