Lane Ranger

Round hood front tab

Lane Ranger

Is anyone making a replacement front hood tab for the round hoods?   I have had them made by my welder on a few hoods and they have held up well.  

The pictures below are a of an original that had rusted off the hood it was attached to at one time.

I think the tab could be improved and the round hoods that had these tabs on them by adding more steel to the bottom portion of the hood when this was installed.  A lot of basically good old tractors have hoods that are rusted out on the bottom.  

Anybody making a replacement - let me know!

A4E094BE-D244-483B-AF87-1DA3403DDD13.jpeg

5A0A0B5E-4A61-4CAD-ABD8-551EBF0D3176.jpeg

204FC2D3-C953-4AD3-BAD9-7C7B8FF9445C.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

Pullstart

When I did my 502 hood, I used the tailgate of a craftsman or the like yard trailer.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger
30 minutes ago, pullstart said:

When I did my 502 hood, I used the tailgate of a craftsman or the like yard trailer.

thanks Kevin . I think the tab needs to be 1/8 steel and the piece for bottom inside hood maybe a little thinner! 

Did you place a steel plate inside the bottom portion of your 592 hood redo?   I did this on one of my other tractors I sold. ( I think 603) snd I want to do that again! 

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1

Achto

I have made one using 10ga. sheet metal. Cut it to size using a 4 1/2" grinder and a jig saw. Then bent it using a bench vise and a hammer. I did also make a reinforcement strip for the inside of the hood but this practice can be a double edge sword. When ever you layer sheet metal you create a place for rust to start because you can never fully protect the metal in between the layers. Note how a spot weld will turn into a deep pocket or indentation over time. This is because it is rusting in between the layers of metal and pushing the two layers apart all around the spot weld.

• Like 5

squonk
52 minutes ago, Achto said:

I have made one using 10ga. sheet metal. Cut it to size using a 4 1/2" grinder and a jig saw. Then bent it using a bench vise and a hammer. I did also make a reinforcement strip for the inside of the hood but this practice can be a double edge sword. When ever you layer sheet metal you create a place for rust to start because you can never fully protect the metal in between the layers. Note how a spot weld will turn into a deep pocket or indentation over time. This is because it is rusting in between the layers of metal and pushing the two layers apart all around the spot weld.

Square hoods are like that where the front meets the top. 

• Like 1

rmaynard

Check this out

• Excellent 1

Pullstart
5 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Check this out

Any finished product yet Bob?  

Pullstart
13 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

thanks Kevin . I think the tab needs to be 1/8 steel and the piece for bottom inside hood maybe a little thinner! 

Did you place a steel plate inside the bottom portion of your 592 hood redo?   I did this on one of my other tractors I sold. ( I think 603) snd I want to do that again! 

I should have cut the rest of the bottom out of the hood, but in a hurry I just patched it in.  The difference between the two options like @Achto mentioned, is that eventually there will be rust between the two panels.  I welded a 1/4-20 nut on the back side for the thumb screw.

7C5F2616-9C3F-481A-A63E-5D15CAE87CE8.jpeg

0E2AEACA-C7D8-4493-88BF-9BE39F461844.jpeg

30F83F19-08E9-4BDD-BEE7-3887CC2A1229.jpeg

F923EDA7-D798-463F-BF08-911288812FD7.jpeg

• Like 1

rmaynard

3 hours ago, pullstart said:

Any finished product yet Bob?  

Not finished, but the bracket is welded in and the holes filled. Picture to follow. 

IMG_20210729_094234016.thumb.jpg.3081c79b0b9857cd95d0310cb7440468.jpg

Edited by rmaynard
added image
  • Like 1

ACman

If my son would ever gets to using his cnc plasma table he could make them easily :bitch:

Edited by ACman
  • Haha 1