Bill D

Snapper 1650

Bill D

Anyone have experience with the Snapper 1650?  There is one for sale near me for cheap.  It uses a Eaton 1100 hydro and K341.  It looks like a possible engine donor if nothing else.

• Like 1

pacer

I stumbled on one my self --- friend calls and sez would you like to have a MF1650. so I sez ... what? I didnt even know that MF made a line of GT's & lawn tractors. So I got it for $150 with a tiller (figured the tiller was worth that! and it had a 48" deck)

So I get the thing home and start messin with it and pretty quickly find that, Hey, this thing is a nice well made tractor. I do a pretty extensive refurb on it and used it a couple yrs. In the mean time I had found that they also made a ... beefier? version called MF1655, it had a 54" deck with a Onan engine. So I found one of them and bought it also.

So I REALLY liked the tractors - and especially fell in love with the 1655.

So I'm running out of room with tractors (4 big D's and the 2 MF's) and a guy sees the 1650 with the tiller and made me an offer I could refuse! I still have the 1655 and am down to 3 D's which is just about right for my storage capacity.

Now back to you .... I think the MF's rank right up there with the WH's with the 16 & 18's maybe a tad .... beefier? than the big D's. They definitely give a more comfortable ride, the seat has lots of adjustment, where the D's gas tank makes the seat too close to the steering. They also have a slightly tighter turning radius which is nice. I suppose its major drawback is .... yep, same as with our horses, parts shortage!! All and all if you can get that thing for a good price then jump on it, I think you'll like it.

Jeff-C175

Snapper 1650 vs. MF 1650 :  Same machine re-branded?

According to tractordata the MF uses a Sundstrand 90 while the Snapper is the Eaton.

Edited by Jeff-C175

pacer
41 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Snapper 1650 vs. MF 1650 :  Same machine re-branded?

Yes, Snapper bought MF in ..... '79/'80??  and the tractors stayed virtually unchanged for .... several? years.

• Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
7 hours ago, pacer said:

the tractors stayed virtually unchanged for ....

And I never trust the TractorData pages for correctness, but do they in fact have different hydros ?

Looking at the Snapper, I don't think I would use it for parts myself.  I would get it running and use it as is!  Looks like a real sturdy machine!  AND, it's RED !

@Bill D

Edited by Jeff-C175

WHX??
7 hours ago, pacer said:

Yes, Snapper bought MF in ..... '79/'80??  

Is that right? It was my understanding the Snapper made tractors for MF???

I got a tractor bro who is big into them. He just did a 1650 full blown resto and dropped a 22 Predator in it. The one with the loonnnnggg stack! Thing is an absolute beast and really hauls the mail. 

I had a 1850 once that someone put a P220 in it and was beast but unfortunately a project I didn't have time for. 

Traded it for a horse and some cash. Hind sight being 20 / 20 ... :angry-banghead:

Got any pics of it Bill? 

20210515_135032-1.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1

pacer
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

Got any pics of it Bill? 

This is the 1650 with the tiller that I sold. By the S/N it was from 1978

Heh, that tiller!! I started to tell the guy about some tricks that I'd figured out to get the deck pulled (its a booger!) and he sez, nah, aint worried about that I just want to see that tiller work!! And it did, amazingly not only was it in good condition, but it actually had the PTO SHAFT!!

The tractor had been sitting in the weeds for ..... a long time - with the hood off! Lotta elbow grease in that boy -- and a fair amount of money

Was asking $1600 for it and took 15, he got a good deal at that, but that was enough to let me actually make a few $ profit (discounting the elbow grease!)

image.png.5941c6bb8c7e54266fdececda2baa000.png

• Excellent 1

Bill D
1 hour ago, pacer said:

Got any pics of it Bill?

Sorry no pictures.  It's on the local CL.  I was eyeballing it as a possible engine donor for a fellow members C175.  It should have the right pan to fit on a shaker plate.  I don't have the time for another project.  Also, I tend to stay away from any tractor that you have to pull the engine off of just to clean a mouse nest out of the engine tins.  Great deal for only $250.  I going to save my money for a loader.