Jump to content
Ghost1

Boiling battery

Recommended Posts

Ghost1

Greetings all.  Just found forum and was hoping I can get some guidance about a battery issue.  I recently purchased an 857 and after a few days had to charge battery.Scan2021-07-11_121632.pdf  This morning I noticed a puddle of battery acid setting under mower.  I found schematic and everything seems to be connected correctly.  Is there a way to test regulator?

IMG_0033[1].JPG

IMG_0035[1].JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
squonk

You need to replace that cable going to the generator regardless of what may be the issue. That poor connection could be causing higher than normal amperage to be flowing. It take more current to get the job done when the voltage is low due to shoddy wires

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Jeff-C175
Quote

Boiling battery

 

@Ghost1

 

ALWAYS a sign of over charging!

 

41 minutes ago, Ghost1 said:

had to charge battery

 

41 minutes ago, Ghost1 said:

noticed a puddle of battery acid

 

Was this with your charger still connected?  You need a better charger if this is happening.

 

If the tractor is not charging the battery and it's going dead on you, then the cause is not the tractor doing the overcharging.

 

You shouldn't leave a charger that is not designed to FLOAT the battery after it becomes fully charged connected indefinitely.  You must disconnect such a charger after the battery is fully charged!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Ghost1

Thanks squonk.  Is this the wire your're referencing?

regulator_LI.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
pfrederi

Engine running you should have 13.6-14.5 volts not much more ...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Ghost1

Thanks Jeff.  It's a digital charger and was only left on until it showed 100 percent charged.   It has been garage kept and last night was first time I noticed puddle of acid.  Battery is starting engine and only needed charged that one time after we made purchase.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Ghost1

I'm not 100 percent on how to check charging system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Jeff-C175
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Ghost1 said:

first time I noticed puddle of acid

 

That's weird!

 

Did you add water to the battery at some point?

 

By the way, make sure to wash out as much of the battery acid as you can.  Neutralize with a solution of baking soda and water.

 

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Jeff-C175
3 minutes ago, Ghost1 said:

I'm not 100 percent on how to check charging system.

 

Do you own and know how to use a multimeter?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
squonk
27 minutes ago, Ghost1 said:

Thanks squonk.  Is this the wire your're referencing?

regulator_LI.jpg

No. That big black ugly one next to it! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
roadapples

:WRS:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Ghost1

Yes Jeff,  I own and can use multimeter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
pfrederi

OK put it on the battery while running you should get 13.5 VDC to 14.5 VDC not more.  If you are only getting 12 volts running run a jumper from the F (small) terminal on the generator to battery (-).  Engine should labor a bit and voltage should go up. If it does regulator has issues if it doesn't then the Generator itself needs attention.

  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Ghost1

Got it pfrederi.  The battery is out of mower as I'm cleaning up acid spill in tray and painting rims.  I will advise outcome of test.  Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Ghost1
Posted (edited)

OK.  With engine running, battery reads 12.9.  When grounding "F" post, engine rpm drops a little and voltage slowly climbs to 15.2 volts

Edited by Ghost1
mispelling/correction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Tuneup

Excuse my ignorance on these older gen systems but all sounds good to me here. Battery is super charged at 12.9 being 12.6 is full. If it just came off an electronic charger, that explains it. Monitor it over time. That regulator shouldn't go over 14 volts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Jeff-C175
On 7/13/2021 at 1:32 PM, Ghost1 said:

climbs to 15.2 volts

 

Seems a bit high but not unheard of.  

 

It could be that the battery is a bit 'soft'.  What's the age of your battery?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
lynnmor

Some state of charge charts show as high as 12.9 volts for a 100% charge, I think that anything above 12.6 is fine.  Voltmeters are not always accurate plus these archaic voltage regulators don't play well with modern digital voltmeters.  I would suggest using an analog voltmeter on these systems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
WHX??
Posted (edited)

There is a way to adjust the max charge voltage on the regulator. I adjust to 13.6 six volts max on the DMM with engine running at 3600 rpm. Some tractors I have a voltmeter installed to monitor.  You can get cheap 1" round  voltage meter that you can temporary wire in to monitor until you are sure you have the regulator and other wiring issues dialed in.  I would also suggest checking and cleaning the contacts in the regulator. As always check all grounds including that little ground strap that bypasses the rubber reg. mounts. 

Here is some info that might help.

20200419_144248.jpg

20190516_114309.jpg

 

My Bad... :WRS:

1 Checking a Mechanical Voltage Regulator.pdf DELCO-REMY_SERVICE_BULLETIN.pdf Delco_Remy_Generator_Regulators.pdf

Edited by WHX24
My Bad
  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Ghost1

Jeff, it's an older battery.  I'll watch for any future acid leaks.  It seems to be dry now.  It's very possible when charging battery, acid overflowed into tray and ended up on garage floor after setting overnight.  Thanks to all for taking time to share your knowledge.  GREAT forum.!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...